Anyone use Silpat Mats?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subfuscpersona

Sous Chef
Anyone use Silpat Mats?

if yes, would like your opinion and evaluation -
> how long you've used them
> for what kind of baking
> better/worse/about the same from baking w/o them
> ease of care
> worth the $$$ ?

TIA

I've only used silpats while I was in college, during my Pastry class. They're really nice to use, especially for some of the more exotic "lace-type" cookies that are more batter then dough, and cook into a shell that can still be molded after coming out of the oven (think Fortune Cookies and you'll have a good idea).

I've never attempted any cookies like that since I left college. Anything else that a non-stick pad like that might be good for I can accomplish with greased wax paper.

If you're into making some really exotic cookies, a Silpat might be a good investment. Personally, I don't own one, and don't forsee a need to buy one anytime soon.

I don't own any--I'm content with parchment paper. I have heard that they're great to use when working with chocolates and candies.

AllenMI said:
Anything else that a non-stick pad like that might be good for I can accomplish with greased wax paper.
greased wax paper :?: :?: I thought waxed paper would burn in the oven?? How high an oven temp would greased wax paper withstand without burning? TIA

I have a silpat mat and love it! Got it as a gift, so not sure how much it costs. I use it for every batch of cookie I make. I think they have non brand name mats out there for cheaper now, though I've never used those. Hope this helps.

subfuscpersona said:
AllenMI said:
Anything else that a non-stick pad like that might be good for I can accomplish with greased wax paper.
greased wax paper :?: :?: I thought waxed paper would burn in the oven?? How high an oven temp would greased wax paper withstand without burning? TIA

If you're baking I'd use parchment paper. I've always been hesitant to use wax paper because of the wax taste it can impart on food.

On another food board (I know, sacrilege :shock: ) everyone who has a silpat RAVED about them. I don't really bake so I have no need for one. My mother actually just bought one this week though. She got it at the Christmas Tree store for just a couple of bucks.

I've used mine for about 2 years. Mainly for cookies and quick-breads (like scones and biscuits). They are non-stick without any added fats. Since parchment paper is silicone impregnated paper - think of them as multi-use parchment paper.

Ease of care depends on the brand you buy - but it's easy. Some brands say you can wash them with a mild soap and warm water, some say just wipe with a damp rag, some say just a dry rag. Some say it's ok to roll them up for storage, some say to store them flat.

As for cost ... not all silicone mats are the same. The cheaper ones have a lower reuse rate (say mabye 2,000 uses) and the more expensive ones are higher (3,500 - 5,000). The one thing they have in common is that they average out to about 1/2-cent per use. Parchment paper, on the other hand, ranges between 5-cents to 15-cents - depending on where you buy it and in what quantity.

I bought my daughter-in-law a couple when I got mine (she bakes a lot of cookies for school parties) and she says they are the greatest gift she has ever gotten.

I don't bake enough to justify spending the $20 for a small sized Silpat.jI use parchment or even greased aluminum foil when I need to.

AllenMI said:

* slaps forehead

D'Oh!

I meant parchment paper. I don't bake enough to instinctively realize there are two kinds off paper. Sorry.

Don't feel bad Allen - I don't remember what I was making once upon a time ... but it was something chocolate that I spooned out onto waxed paper .... it was just hot enough that the wax on the paper melted. It didn't stick - but it tasted like chewing on a milk carton!

silpat mats

I use these mats and tart and muffin trays in my job and at home I wouldn't be without mine, speed ease of cleaning (mine are dishwasher proof) are tantamount in a busy kitchen especially a training kitchen like ours.

I use silpats for all my cookie and coffee cake baking.
I have also bought a large one to roll out doughs. The only problem is you can't cut on it. I think I'll find a large pan to use it in for baking, instead.

Wow!

This new format is very spiffy! Kudos to the webmaster.

We have Silpat on our site and have for quite a while, and I use them at home, too. It's a very popular item.

I really like them. It's strange the first time you use one...You get out your spatula, ready to take the cookies off the sheet the old fashioned way, and you find that the cookies almost slide off by themselves. Nothing sticks. I'm more of a cook than a baker, but I wouldn't be without my Silpat. Great invention.

I do not think the silpats are worth the money. I exclusively use parchment paper, either on a cookie sheet or placed alone on the rack in my toaster oven.

Silpat are worth the money, but I am content to use parchment paper. My younger daughter does lots of baking for her friends and can cut parchment paper to fit any pan (mostly 9 and 10" cake pans). Also, am not sure of "pouch" cooking with Silpats???

So..in my house, its parchment paper that gets the nod. We get it at the local resturant supply house!

Back
Top Bottom