Are bamboo cutting boards worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read that the same process is used to fuse together maple cutting boards, as well, though.

But either way, I think it just comes down to what you wanna do first - sharpen your knifes or get a new cutting board. Common sense dictates that the less marks there are on your cutting board, the harder and worse it is on your knives. The more marks, the softer and better for your knife, but bad for the durability and porous aspect of the cutting board.

At the end of the day, it's really just a matter of preference.

I also find it ironic that you need diamonds to sharpen steel, but a carrot can do your knife in. At some point, you just have to let loose a bit and not let every little dos-and-don'ts ruin your sanity. :ROFLMAO:

I made a decision some time ago that, for me, a cutting board is a necessary tool and that appearance was not important. As a result, I have a number of plastic cutting boards in different colors and sizes. They are lightweight, kind to knife edges, dishwasher safe and can be sanitized/de-stained with a simple bleach solution.

Given the relative effort to sharpen a knife as opposed to washing/replacing a cutting board, I chose to preserve my knives and keep it simple with my boards.

I love my plastic boards for just the reasons you stated. Especially the DW safe aspect.

Here's a picture of my bamboo cutting board. I love it and have had it for about three years with little to no signs of wear. It stays right where it is for a counter saver/dish drainer/cutting board. I clean it under the faucet with vinegar, and oil it occasionally. I havn't noticed any undue dulling of my knives. I didn't want a huge thick board because of the weight for cleaning. I keep a folded tea towel under it to keep the board in place. The best part is, I paid around $20 for it at Target, 3 years ago.
img_967786_0_37771b15cd43a743f30d2799c2f21979.jpg

I have the exact same cutting board love it.

Josie

I use heavy-duty white plastic commercial-grade cutting boards for most purposes, which I purchase from a local restaurant supply house. They're inexpensive, non-skid and easy to clean (dishwasher safe). I have several wood and bamboo boards but they get infrequent use. However, cleaning wood boards isn't much of an issue. I usually just wipe them with a damp cloth and don't use them for raw meats or poultry. I use mineral oil on my butcher block but not my wood cutting boards.

My first bamboo block was a small one, just to test it out. It's mostly decorative now, though it does comes into play when an extra board is needed. I still cringe for my knives when I hear them slam through a carrot onto the board.

I'm also cringing a bit at the thought that maybe some of my dinner hosts have multi-purpose mineral oil for their cutting blocks...

I made a decision some time ago that, for me, a cutting board is a necessary tool and that appearance was not important. As a result, I have a number of plastic cutting boards in different colors and sizes. They are lightweight, kind to knife edges, dishwasher safe and can be sanitized/de-stained with a simple bleach solution.

Given the relative effort to sharpen a knife as opposed to washing/replacing a cutting board, I chose to preserve my knives and keep it simple with my boards.

Me too!

Life is too short to maintain cutting boards. Drink more wine instead!

Funny you should mention bamboo cutting boards as I just bought one on sale at Macy's this weekend. It is a Martha Stewart, large in size and only cost me $13 but was originally priced at around $90. For that price I will take it. :chef:

The Martha Stewart board I bought says on it that it "Won't Dull Blades." It says eco=friendly also. It is 14"x20".

The care instructions are as follows: "Wash in mild soapy water. Do not soak. Do not place on wet countertop. To prevent drying of wood, apply mineral oil once a month and as needed. Always was board after preparing the meats to avoid food contamination."

I see two things wrong with what that Martha Stewart board info says mkaylady. All boards dull blades. The only question is to what degree. The other thing is that bamboo is not wood.

That's really the common sense approach, and I admire that.

Personally, I'm a lot like that. I tend not to overboard (pun?) with stuff, but this was sort of a necessary indulgence/learning experience for me. :ROFLMAO:

I've been brainwashed by all the thick wooden boards used by TV chefs. It just makes prepping look so cool and fun, and that's really what this purchase was about.

We'll see how it turns out... whether or not I'm diligent enough to maintain the bamboo board and use it frequently enough to justify its acquisition... or I just relugate it to a serving platter, like the others here.

As far sharpening knives, I'm not the type that's obsessed with having the sharpest knife... at least not at this point. Maybe if there were local classes offered on sharpening knives, I would take it and get accustomed to sharpening my knife like a true craftsman.

But sharpening knives is such a science, it's hard to learn the fundamentals without a ton a trial and error. You need like, 3 or 4 different stones, and some other tool that refines the edge, and so forth. I've seen countless videos on knife sharpening, and each one just left me feeling more lost, confused, and overwhelmed, to say the least.

Right now, I just have a beater Henkels knife that I've been using for years without ever sharpening, and it gets me by. I also have a Shun 12" Chefs knife, but for whatever reason, I haven't started using it. But Shun has a lifetime policy, where I can ship it back to them anytime, and they'll sharpen it for me.

My first bamboo block was a small one, just to test it out. It's mostly decorative now, though it does comes into play when an extra board is needed. I still cringe for my knives when I hear them slam through a carrot onto the board.

I'm also cringing a bit at the thought that maybe some of my dinner hosts have multi-purpose mineral oil for their cutting blocks...

Was your bamboo board end-grain?

....As far sharpening knives, I'm not the type that's obsessed with having the sharpest knife... at least not at this point. Maybe if there were local classes offered on sharpening knives, I would take it and get accustomed to sharpening my knife like a true craftsman.

But sharpening knives is such a science, it's hard to learn the fundamentals without a ton a trial and error. You need like, 3 or 4 different stones, and some other tool that refines the edge, and so forth. I've seen countless videos on knife sharpening, and each one just left me feeling more lost, confused, and overwhelmed, to say the least.

These are the sort of polyethylene boards I use and recommend: http://www.amazon.com/Kitchen-3-2dpc-2e-Cutting-Board-Set/dp/B00007FS8S/ref=pd_sbs_k_2 .

As for sharpening and maintaining kitchen knives, that's really a bit off track for this thread. However, having good quality, sharp knives makes a real difference in the kitchen. So, I'll offer a quick piece of advice to help eliminate your feeling of being "lost, confused and overwhelmed".

To maintain a small handful of kitchen knives, you don't need to take classes or purchase a ton of specialized, expensive equipment. Although I have a couple of drawers full of stones and sharpening equipment, I almost never use most of them anymore.

All you need is a ceramic v-style sharpener like this one: Amazon.com: Lansky 4-rod Turn Box Crock Stick Sharpener (LCD5D): Home & Garden . They come with written instructions, are very easy and quick to use, and do a great job maintaining and re-sharpening most knives. They aren't heavy-duty enough to re-profile and re-sharpen extremely dull or damaged blades. For this, you're better off having them professionally resharpened. But afterwards and for all normal sharpening, all it takes is a few strokes on each side of the blade, first with the medium grit rods then with the fine grit, to keep them razor-sharp - a 5 to 10 minute job per knife.

...As far sharpening knives, I'm not the type that's obsessed with having the sharpest knife... at least not at this point. Maybe if there were local classes offered on sharpening knives, I would take it and get accustomed to sharpening my knife like a true craftsman.

But sharpening knives is such a science, it's hard to learn the fundamentals without a ton a trial and error. You need like, 3 or 4 different stones, and some other tool that refines the edge, and so forth. I've seen countless videos on knife sharpening, and each one just left me feeling more lost, confused, and overwhelmed, to say the least...

You make my point for me. I hate sharpening my Henckels. I want to keep them sharp as long as possible. That's the reason for my choice of boards.

However, to each his own. Enjoy your bamboo board and admire the Shun, it's a nice knife.

I see two things wrong with what that Martha Stewart board info says mkaylady. All boards dull blades. The only question is to what degree. The other thing is that bamboo is not wood.

and most people don't recommend cutting meat on bamboo or wood..at least in my reading...that is what those nice poly. boards are for and tend to run so much cheaper....I even have one and I don't even cook with meat. I just use it for things with a lot of liquid that I dont want finding it's way into my board.
I do agree that all boards dull knives, it's just the hard truth on the subject.
Also, I don't trust the whole "soap and water" take with boards that the company recommends, I did it with one board for about two months and I find it splitting even with proper maintance.
I now use a home made solution of lime and vinegar, spray the board, and dry.

and most people don't recommend cutting meat on bamboo or wood..at least in my reading...that is what those nice poly. boards are for and tend to run so much cheaper....I even have one and I don't even cook with meat. I just use it for things with a lot of liquid that I dont want finding it's way into my board.
I do agree that all boards dull knives, it's just the hard truth on the subject.
Also, I don't trust the whole "soap and water" take with boards that the company recommends, I did it with one board for about two months and I find it splitting even with proper maintance.
I now use a home made solution of lime and vinegar, spray the board, and dry.

I never cut meat on a cutting board. I am going to get one of those plastic ones that have a ridge and a little deepness to them to use just for meats. I have one of those that I use for tomatoes and they hold the juice from dripping down.

I use a cut lemon to clean and then dry it.

Back
Top Bottom