Are the handles the same on the All-clad stainless and the All-clad D5?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neenach2002

Assistant Cook
Hi guys,

I'm going to be purchasing my first set of cookware (ever). I've decided to get the All-Clad. I'm either going to get the 14-piece Stainless steel set or the 10-piece D5 set and supplement it with an additional 6-qt saute pan.

My question is, are the handles the same on both lines, or are they actually different? I read that the D5 line has more comfortable handles, but then I found another post saying that the re-release of the stainless steel line has "updated" handles...

Anyone happen to know if there's actually a difference?

Thanks! :)

Hi and welcome to the forum! I can't help with the handles question but wanted applaud your all-clad decision. I bought a large set almost 20 years ago and they are still as good as new. In the years that preceded that purchase I went through several other sets of cookware (some rather quickly) and if I had started with all clad would have saved a boatload of money.

I have the LTD pans and have supplemented those with a non-stick frying pan which gets replaced every couple of years.

I just looked at the website and the handles appear to be identical on both types. If there are any differences they would be minor.

The D5 is significantly more expensive and you have to decide if it's worth it. Five vs. three layer construction. I have several pieces of the SS and never had an issue with the three-layer construction's being inadequate. I'm sure the five-layer would perform as well.

The only physical difference I see is the D5 has a pouring lip on its pots and pans where the SS does not. That is a material benefit.

Either way you will be pleased with their performance. All-Clad is good stuff.

Before you buy, check out this site: Cookware & More - Outlet for All-Clad Irregulars

It's an All-Clad outlet that sells cosmetically challenged cookware at a significant discount. They are currently having a Spring Sale that offers an additional 20% discount.

Best of luck!

The D5 line features the redesigned handles. I dont recall seing the same handles on their brand new stainless, but a trip to Williams Sonoma would allow you to compare them.

The handles on All Clad's other lines were criticized by some for being too long and narrow. Personally, I have never had an issue with them.

I bought all my All Clad from Cookware and More. They sell cosmetic seconds at very good prices. Most pieces they sell cannot be distinguished from perfect.

So I went into my local Williams-Sonoma. The handles are not the same - the D5 line has more comfortable handles... which I still find very uncomfortable. I'm completely baffled, to be honest, why they'd put such uncomfortable handles on the All-clad. They're quite honestly... horrible. :(

The Williams-Sonoma line of cookware has fantastic ergonomic handles, and is comparable in price to the D5 Stainless (non-brushed) line which Williams-Sonoma also carries. The woman at the store said that the performance was about the same as the D5 and that I wouldn't really notice a difference. The Williams-Sonoma line also has a limited lifetime warranty.

Thoughts? :)

The handles on All Clad's other lines were criticized by some for being too long and narrow. Personally, I have never had an issue with them.

I've seen this comment as well, but those long handles are essential when using a professional grade gas stove. Handles need to be long enough to reach past the hot cooktop. I also find that with a heavy pan, I actually prefer the long handle. I grab the handle near the base and wedge the end under my forearm. My arm becomes a lever making lifting heavy or sloppy pots much easier.

That said, we each have to decide what works best for our unique situation :chef:

To be honest, the W-S set looks over-engineered. The handles look too heavy for the pans and may cause an empty pot to tip on a burner grate.

In reading some reviews,several people complained of getting cut by the pan's sharp edges. How does a manufacturer let that happen?

All-Clad and W-S aren't the only choices. I'd keep looking.

Have you read our Cookware forum? Cookware - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

So I went into my local Williams-Sonoma. The handles are not the same - the D5 line has more comfortable handles... which I still find very uncomfortable. I'm completely baffled, to be honest, why they'd put such uncomfortable handles on the All-clad. They're quite honestly... horrible. :(

The Williams-Sonoma line of cookware has fantastic ergonomic handles, and is comparable in price to the D5 Stainless (non-brushed) line which Williams-Sonoma also carries. The woman at the store said that the performance was about the same as the D5 and that I wouldn't really notice a difference. The Williams-Sonoma line also has a limited lifetime warranty.

Thoughts? :)

My only thought is that buying cookware from Williams Sonoma is extraordinarily expensive.

Im not a huge cheapskate. I have pretty much only All Clad and LeCreuset as my primary cookware but I have never bought anything at full price. Deals abound.

And I agree with Janet. The AllClad stainless handles aren't bad at all.

When I grow up I will also buy me a set of All-Glad from W S, in the mean time good luck with whaever you decide to do.

My only thought is that buying cookware from Williams Sonoma is extraordinarily expensive.

Im not a huge cheapskate. I have pretty much only All Clad and LeCreuset as my primary cookware but I have never bought anything at full price. Deals abound.

And I agree with Janet. The AllClad stainless handles aren't bad at all.

+1 +1 :) I get Le Creuset at an outlet store - much less expensive for the same stuff. I would never buy from Williams-Sonoma. The prices are marked up too much. If you pay less, you can buy more ;)

I have one All Clad saute pan and I love it. I've had it for about 8 years; I don't have a lot of strength, so I use the helper handle. Works for me. I also have a set of Calphalon pots and pans (Christmas gift from DH) and they work great as well.

Hi guys,

I'm going to be purchasing my first set of cookware (ever). I've decided to get the All-Clad. I'm either going to get the 14-piece Stainless steel set or the 10-piece D5 set and supplement it with an additional 6-qt saute pan.

My question is, are the handles the same on both lines, or are they actually different? I read that the D5 line has more comfortable handles, but then I found another post saying that the re-release of the stainless steel line has "updated" handles...

Anyone happen to know if there's actually a difference?

Thanks! :)

Before you buy a set think about what your really gonna need
Start with your 3 basics then if you need something else buy it
Otherwise there gonna sit in your cabinet and collect dust
All clad for life

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom