Article on Nonstick Cookware Safety

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's also said, "GIGO -- Garbage in, Garbage Out." The chemicals involved in the making of the non-stick surface are not good, the chemicals released to the environment during the manufacture and during the degrading of a discarded item are also not good. So I operate on the idea that if nothing good goes into them, and bad things are known to come out of them, that the intermediate stages can't be much better.

And again, we know how this research is done: They expose lab animals to it, observe the negative effects, then reason, "But humans are bigger than rats, so ... pretty much no harm is done." No immediate damage is observable, and so it's "acceptable risk."

But it's not acceptable to me. Plus, I don't want my buying power to contribute to an industry that's putting disease-causing chemicals into the environment at both ends of the product's life.

But you're right -- we are both free to act according to our beliefs, and that's a wonderful thing. (Particularly since that concept seems to be under attack so much of late.) Another wonderful thing we share is our humanity, and I honor yours.

And thanks, buckytom for the new word -- no, I'm not familiar with this as such, so I'm off to Google and discover new things. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom