"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 09-09-2006, 07:47 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Asparagus cookware

Does anyone use the asparagus pot that All Clad makes. I cook asparagus all the time for breakfast (omelette's) and for a side with dinner. Wondering if it was a good piece.

Bob J

Old 09-09-2006, 08:31 AM   #2
Executive Chef

If it's all-clad, it's probably a good piece. However - I think you need to ask yourself if it's a 'necessary' piece!

Old 09-09-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I have an asparagus pot. Never used it for asparagus. And because of its shape, only one or two other times--for draining something.
The microwave is SO easy to cook asparagus in if doing anything other than roasting it.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipgrncln
Does anyone use the asparagus pot that All Clad makes. I cook asparagus all the time for breakfast (omelette's) and for a side with dinner. Wondering if it was a good piece.

Bob J
I bought it and used it once. It's silly. I went back to using my SS steamer and laying the asparagus horizontally.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #5
Master Chef

I've got one - not made by All-Clad - that I bought 20-25 years ago because for some reason I thought I needed it - paid about $10. I have used it to steam other things more than asparagus, like broccoli, cauliflower and small new potatoes - but probably only used it less than a dozen times. Today I use it to hold wooden spoons ....

I find a cheap little fold-out steamer basket much easier, more convenient, and a heck of a lot cheaper to use.

Now, having said all of that - I do understand the "concept" of the asparagus steamer. The stems are tough and if you don't cut or peel them, then the steamer is supposed to make the bottom of the stems cook faster than the tips (since that is where the greatest concentration of heat is supposed to be). And, maybe for asparagus, it might work that way.

Another thing ... it's just a tall thin pot, with a basket insert, to simmer water in. No magical Tri-Ply gonna make it cook better voodo ... read the description ... "the new All-Clad Stainless Asparagus Pot is crafted from high-quality 18/10 stainless steel, and features a thick stainless/aluminum disk at the bottom for the best heat distribution." And, you don't even need that much technology since all you are doing is simmering water!
Old 09-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #6
Master Chef

Add me to the list of folks who find this a more-than-useless kitchen gadget.

Since I like my asparagus stalks with a bit of "bite" to them (al dente? lol!), I use a large covered skillet with a few inches of simmering water in it to make my asparagus. I just lay the trimmed asparagus in flat & in about 5 minutes the tips are done & the stalks are tender, but still with just the right amount of crunch for my taste.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
Executive Chef

We like our asparagus better roasted. I use the stems to make asparagus soup.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:57 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Apicius, the Roman chef, whose cookbook for professionals we have preserved, advocates boiling asparagus in a tall narrow pot so the butts are submerged in the water and the tips steam gently above the water level. Thus we have the asparagus pot designed just for that. It works fine and All Clad's is bound to be good. Necessary? If you want perfectly cooked/steamed spears of asparagus, sure...however, I roast mine more often, and I usually peel mine as well so such a pot is less needed. Your call as you know how you cook and serve.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:46 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
I also bought on the All-Clad asparagus pots -- not "real" A-C but their cheaper line of stainless accessory items.

Like several others, I used it a few times, but found it silly. Actually, it's worse than silly because when you try to remove the cooked stalks from the wire basket, the tips tend to get damaged. I as found it hard to test the asparagus to see if it was done. I went back to my regular steamer, which is easier to use and does a better job.
Old 09-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
Cook

I use my asparagues pot every time I make asparagues (which is quite often during the season). I don't know what the exact specs are of the model you're looking for, but I find that asparagus pots generally realy deliver what they promise: evenly done asparagus. And especially when using white asparagus I didn't find a better method of preparing than with a special pot.