"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Unhappy Baker's Secret

Does anyone else have this problem? My Baker's Secret cookie sheets work great for the first few bakes but then it loses it's non-stick and I have to cover it with foil and grease for nothing to stick.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Senior Cook

One of the best investments (baking-wise, that is) is those insulated cookie pans. If you watch, you can usually catch 'em on sale.

Also, you might consider the silpat baking mats. also another good bake-ware investment.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
I have one of the insulated cookie sheets and don't like it much. I find that it doesn't brown the bottoms of cookies at all. It still gets use though, at least until I finally get around to buying a real peel.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Russel - How would you deal with the cookies if you had a peel. Would you then stone bake them.

Not heard from is parchment paper. It is marvelous. I would expect that a silpat would not brown the bottoms either.

AC
Old 12-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Cook

What I have found with my non stick bakeware is that they still require a small amount of oil/butter. I bake my own bread and use non stick pans, but have always oiled them with olive oil or else the bread sticks a bit. The same goes for my non stick skillet, I always have to use butter or oil (well, mainly with things like pikelets etc) It's a bit annoying really, kind of defeats the purpose in a way.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:43 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I love parchment!! It works perfectly every time.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Executive Chef

pds, I totally agree. Parchment is the best. I use it for cakes, cookies, brownies - whatever I don't want to think about sticking or cleanup afterward.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Yep, the no clean up is the best part! :)
Old 12-15-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I still have my Teflon cookie sheets I began housekeeping with in 1968. The Teflon is shot but I use cut-to-fit Teflon mats, which work beautifully.

I have about 10 or so mats that I cut to fit all my different pans/sheets. Even have a number of round ones to use in cake pans.

Everything browns just perfectly with these mats.

I've seen but never used Baker's Secret products so I can't comment.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Russel - How would you deal with the cookies if you had a peel. Would you then stone bake them.
Hi AC,

I was unclear. I didn't mean I'd use the peel for cookies, I meant that the only use I have for the airbake pan is as a peel. I currently use my half sheet pans and my non-insulated cookie sheet for cookies when I make them (which is not actually all that often).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Not heard from is parchment paper. It is marvelous. I would expect that a silpat would not brown the bottoms either.

AC
I do use parchment & silpats. Like them both. I had expected that the silpat would inhibit browning too, but it doesn't seem to affect browning as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkly77 View Post
What I have found with my non stick bakeware is that they still require a small amount of oil/butter. I bake my own bread and use non stick pans, but have always oiled them with olive oil or else the bread sticks a bit. The same goes for my non stick skillet, I always have to use butter or oil (well, mainly with things like pikelets etc) It's a bit annoying really, kind of defeats the purpose in a way.
Yep, as far as I can tell, the only thing nonstick does is increase profits for Dupont. I use unlined steel or aluminum bakeware and they get the same treatment as your nonstick. So why bother with nonstick?