"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Assistant Cook
Bakeware Material

Hello everyone. There's been lots of discussion over what type of material is the best/safest for cookware, but I haven't been able to find too much info with regards to bakeware. What are some recommendations for the best/safest bakeware? I've read that aluminum bakeware is quite popular, but weren't there studies that linked it to alzheimer's? Should I stay away from non-stick ones? How about something like stainless steel since it's considered a pretty safe cookware material? Thanks for your help.

md55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:51 AM   #2
Senior Cook
I've tried many combinations over the past 39 years and, without regard for cost, I've settled upon the following as the best and most convenient for me:

Stainless Steel wire racks
Non-stick aluminum cookie sheets and Spring-form Pan
Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven
Enameled Steel Roasting Pan
Glazed Ceramic Ramekins & Soufle Dish
Non-Glazed Ceramic 15" Pizza Stone (For pizza and free-form bread)
Everything else is Pyrex (Bread/Loaf Pan, Pie Pan, 8x8 & 9x13 Bakeware, etc.)

(And if you're concerned about Alzheimers and aluminum, check the ingredients in your deodorant - a major source of aluminum oxide that enters the body through glands.)

Never trust a skinny chef!
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:07 AM   #3
Assistant Cook
Baking different things can be best accomplished with different materials. One material I recommend is a silicone baking mat: it's a nonstick baking mat that's oven, freezer, and microwave safe. You can also just use plain aluminum pans with silicone coated parchment paper.
AJ Bronze is offline   Reply With Quote