Bakeware set HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jessica_Morris

Senior Cook
Me and the boyfriend are moving and we have everything but a bakeware set and that's mainly cause we don't know what brand to buy or whats good... Does anyone have suggestions - which set works good for you?

I don't have any sets, they often have things I don't need and missing some that I do.

How serious are you about baking? I would recommend visiting a restaurant supply store and picking up pieces there, they will likely last you for ever. Here would be a quick list of basics.

I like uncoated aluminum, aluminum cooks well and browns evenly, just don't get cheap flimsy stuff. Non-stick bakeware won't last for the long haul.

9x13" rectangular
8x8" square
8" round cake pan (2)
1/2 sheet cookie/jellyroll pan (2)
Loaf pan
muffin pan
9" pie plate

These are the basics that should get you through, you can always add some specialty pieces later on.

>>which set works good for you?

pretty broad question methinks - there's cookie sheets, rectangular pans, sheet pans, round cake pans, tube pans, pie pans, spring form pans, fluted flan pans, bread pans of every sort . . . .

if you add up all the different sizes, turns out to be quite a heap of stuff. not sure I've seen a "comprehensive" baking set offered in stores - it'd have to be a pretty big box....

I've got Wilton aluminum, Baker's Secret, dollar store stuff, glass stuff, on and on.

the first question involves what do you intend to bake? breads / pastries is one discipline, "baked casseroles" is a different discipline.

Jessica, I think that you should just wing it and improvise for a few months. Then you will know exactly what you need for your style of cooking. I tend to agree with bakechef, most sets contain items that the average person will not use.

What you put in the pan is more important than the pan:)

My DH bought some "Baker's Secret" bake ware back in the early '90s. It's horrible. It's supposed to be non-stick, but stuff sticks to it worse than the bake ware that isn't non-stick.

Bakechef made an excellent suggestion about the restaurant supply store. That's where I'm going the next time I want to buy bake ware (and maybe some other stuff).

Question: I thought you were supposed to bake cookies on a cookie sheet that has no sides on the ends. Doesn't it matter?

taxlady said:
My DH bought some "Baker's Secret" bake ware back in the early '90s. It's horrible. It's supposed to be non-stick, but stuff sticks to it worse than the bake ware that isn't non-stick.

Bakechef made an excellent suggestion about the restaurant supply store. That's where I'm going the next time I want to buy bake ware (and maybe some other stuff).

Question: I thought you were supposed to bake cookies on a cookie sheet that has no sides on the ends. Doesn't it matter?

I've always used the ones with sides. They can be used for so many other things. Professional kitchens often use them for cookies too!

>>Question: I thought you were supposed to bake cookies on a cookie sheet that has no sides on the ends. Doesn't it matter?

yes, no, most certainly maybe.

"sides" affect how the heat moves to the cookie splatter. too close to the "side" - yes, you may see an effect"

sufficiently "far away" from the side, no matter.

stand by to ignore:
my experience, in general terms, is that thin fast baking cookies within 2 inches of a sheet pan lip suffer - the side to the lip does not crisp up so well. thicker, higher, longer baking, chunkier cookies, makes not a whit.

Mainly what I'm looking for are the following...
Baking sheet
Muffin pan
Pizza pan
Roasting pan
Things of that nature....
I don't do much baking, I'm not he kind that bakes cookies everyday just need some pans to really cook things in the oven.

Glad you mentioned bakers secret cause I've always been told they were the best but never seen anyone cooking with them.

May just buy things separate (even tho it's probably more expensive that way) then I'll have everything I'll need and nothing I won't use... Thanks for the advice!

>>won't use
that would be most of a 'set' - in general terms.

with the exception of Chicago style deep dish pizza, you don't want a pan, you want a pizza stone.

>>non-stick
forget about any 'label' stuff on non-stick. Baker's Secret coatings peel off after medium use. you will eventually get to the 'grease&flour' point - so may as well save the bucks and learn that skill set from the outset.

>>muffin pan
same thing. if you're baking in cupcake papers, doesn't matter what the pan is. and if you're not baking in papers, you'll get to the grease&flour stage anyway, stick or non.

>>baking sheet
I have a couple decades old tempered aluminum (0.065 inch thick) sheets - no sides except one end is bend up for stiffness. they "work" better than anything else in the closet. also have not been able find replacements for them.... "no sides" baking sheets allow you to nudge & slide off stuff with ease. "sided" pans are less convenient; may quite indeed work as well, just less convenient.

>>roasting pan
unless you intend to 'take it to the table & make pretty' - pick a size -be sure it has sturdy handles and a sturdy thickness. if you pick it up and it feels too light / flimsy - yeah - it is. pay no attention to "brand" - they all work the same. forget about non-stick in a roasting pan; irrelevant. I would recommend considering an up-cost for one with a cover. yup, you're right - "roasting" by definition does not entail "covered" but in the longer run you'll find a cover useful. fret not, you can always "make" a cover out of alum foil....

Last edited:
I don't have a bakeware set. I have:

corningware blue flower loaf pans
corningware blue flower pie pans
corningware blue flower cake pans -round and square

heavy commercial aluminum half sheet and quarter sheet pans

enameled cast iron baking pans of various sizes
enameled cast iron loaf pans
enameled cast iron bundt pans
enameled cast iron muffin pans

In my experience the pan with a lip is much more useful. The few times I have needed a pan with no lip I just flip them over and bake on the bottom:LOL:

In my experience the pan with a lip is much more useful. The few times I have needed a pan with no lip I just flip them over and bake on the bottom:LOL:

I have one of each. When I bake more cookies than will fit on one, I do that to - flip over the other one. But, sometimes stuff slides off. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom