Baking pans - size question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookie69

Assistant Cook
I found a recipe for squares(dessert) it's calling for a 10 x 10 sized pan and I only have 9 x9 or 13 x 9 . Can I use any of those , will it make a difference for my squares ? Thank you:angel:

pans

Are you making a cake, or what we call here in my neck of the woods, bars? It shouldn't make much difference with bars, if you go with a bigger pan they'll just be a bit thinner. You may need to increase or decrease the baking time depending on the pan size.

Last edited:
I'd use the 9X9 - that's close enough in size that it won't make much of a difference. Your dessert would end up being too thin in a 13X9.

Last edited:
I'd use the 9X9 - that's close enough in size that it won't make much of a difference. Your dessert would end up being too thin in a 13X9.

9 x 9 is 81 sq inches. Your squares would be 20% thicker. 13 x 9 is 117 sq inches. Your squares would be 20% thinner. Depending on the recipe, either would work. The cooking times would be different. I'd use the tried and true stick a toothpick in it test for doneness.

Thank you everyone , I will go with the 9x9 and they are non cooked squares you put them in the fridge for 2 hours .

Back
Top Bottom