Baking sheet pans .. traditional or air type ones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshatdot

Senior Cook
I've been using these 14in x 16.5in air insulated sheet pans for baking. Stuff takes abit longer then what usually is called by in recipes.

They are like this, but they are not nonstick coated
Amazon.com: AirBake Ultra by T-Fal Insulated Nonstick 16 x 14-Inch Cookie Sheet: Kitchen & Dining

My only gripe with them, is when I have to rotate the pans, I can squish the cookies in the process. And the parchment paper & cookies could slide right off, if not handled correctly. Plus the parchment paper I get is only 12 or 13in wide, and I have to use 2 sheets to cover it completely (I like to maximize my baking space)

I've been thinking of getting heavy duty 1/2 sheep aluminum pans, like these
Amazon.com: Amco Food Service Half Sheet Pan: Kitchen & Dining

What do you think of the air type ones, or the traditional ones.

I use one like your second link. If I want the food to slide off, I turn it over and use the bottom ;) I've got some chicken wings on it right now with waxed paper, being individually frozen. I use it a lot for carrying food downstairs to the freezer. No way could I do that without it having a lip. I bought it at King Arthur, along with the parchment paper.

I have also used the sheet pans in the second link for years, heavy duty. I love them and they have held up well to their being over-worked and abused. Sam's stores also carry them if you happen to have one close to you.

I have the ones similar to your second link, that's what I prefer. What I didn't like about airbake, is that by the time my cookies browned, they were overcooked, and like you said, they have no edges.

I get mine at the restaurant supply, if you have one close by check them out, they usually have good prices.

Half sheet pans are the way to go. They are 13" wide and parchment rolls are often sold in 13" widths so all you have to do is cut to length.

Also, you should be able to find them for a lot less. Try Sam's Club or a restaurant supply store if there's one handy. They're also available online for a lot less.

What they said! I have the half sheet pans from Sam's club. LOVE THEM! I do so much in them besides cookies. I never liked the air pans much.

As a side note, I also bought racks to fit the half sheet pans. They come in handy from time to time.

I, too, don't much care for the air pans. My cookie sheets are heavy-duty and OLD. I bought them when I began keeping house in 1968 and they're still going strong. In fact, about 5 years ago I gave two of my stash to my daughter. She'll have those for years I imagine.

Good luck on finding what will suit your needs. This is one area I haven't had to shop for and probably won't ever have to if my pans continue to perform well.

Another vote for heavy aluminum sheet pans!!!! They one of my best impulse buys.

SOLD...next time I goto the "big city" (about 20 miles from me), I'll go to the restaurant supply store for two heavy 1/2 sheet pans & parchment paper.

Thanks DC peeps :chef:

:ohmy: .. I never thought of baking bacon in an over before. I'll have to do that next time I need to make a lot of bacon :pig:

Start in a cold oven and set the temp to 350. Starting the bacon in a cold oven seems to render more fat, making it nice and crisp without having to over cook it. It is my preferred method now!

I have the racks too, great for cooking bacon in the oven. I have also done breaded baked chicken with them.

I tried cooking bacon using the rack in the pan. It was too much work to clean the rack so I just lay the bacon in the pan and bake it @ 400º F. I find preheating gives me a more uniform cooking.

I tried cooking bacon using the rack in the pan. It was too much work to clean the rack so I just lay the bacon in the pan and bake it @ 400º F. I find preheating gives me a more uniform cooking.

Yeah the cleaning can be a pain, but if I position it just right in the dishwasher (so that it doesn't obstruct the upper arm, it will do the job!

I use convection, maybe that makes a difference?

Yeah the cleaning can be a pain, but if I position it just right in the dishwasher (so that it doesn't obstruct the upper arm, it will do the job!

I use convection, maybe that makes a difference?

Convection could make a diff.

:chef:Local Restaurant Supply:chef:

1/2 sheet baking pans - $7.95 each
- They weigh ~25oz, Made in USA

3 qt SS mixing bowl - $6.95
- weight 13.5oz, Made in India

Attachments

• IMG_0154.JPG
    IMG_0154.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

Latest posts