Baumalu 11" Copper Fry Pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChadHahn

Cook
I went into Home Goods yesterday and saw this Baumalu 11" Copper Fry Pan for $39.99. It was wrapped in shrink wrap and looked like brand new. Brand new that is except for two little marks near the cast iron handle rivet.

One is a half moon shaped mark in the side of the pan that is filled with tin and another is a little snag where the rivet joins the handle to the pan. There is a little copper showing through at this point. I figure that I probably won't be cooking much that far up the pan.

The copper is 2 mm thick and the tin is nice and smooth with no wear marks from pans jostling together. I need to go to the hardware store and pick up some acetone.

Chad

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

At 40 bucks, this seems like a good deal to me. With the 2 scratches, it may be a second, but so what? I would not worry too much about the small amount of copper bleed. I cook mostly with copper and/or cast iron. This pan retails on the north side of $100.

I finally got around to cooking with the pan last night. I was really surprised that the cast iron handle didn't get too hot to handle. I have some Magnalite Pro pans that even with the silicone handle cover get hotter than the handle of this copper fry pan.

On the other hand I don't think that I got all the lacquer off the pan before I used it. I rubbed it with lacquer remover before I used it and something seemed to be coming off, not in the sheets like I have heard about, but little amounts of something.

After I used the pan, there were scorch marks on the bottom in the pattern of my stove ring. There were also some kind of swirl marks on the inside of the pan. I don't know if the inside of the pan was lacquered or not.

I took some pictures but it was hard to get photos without reflections. I guess all my problems are due to not getting the lacquer off. Or is this just normal for copper?

If it is due to not getting the lacquer off will continuing to use lacquer remover on it help?

Thanks,

Chad

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I don't think that you have a problem. The marks on the bottom look to me like burner marks. They are normal and are easily removed with a copper cleaner. I use Wrights copper cleaner. It is cheap and available where I live The interior will discolor as it is tin and heat tends to discolor it. This, too, is normal. Above all, do not try to scour it out. From the burn marks, I wonder if you realize that copper heats much faster and needs less heat for cooking. Cast iron handles do not heat quickly. One of the reasons it is considered a good handle material. It also holds heat longer. Be careful if you try to pick up one that has set for a while. Rocky Mountain Retinning, along with several other sites, have articles on copper care. With care copper will last a lifetime. Some of mine is over 100 years old.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease. I won't let this take away from my enjoyment of the pan.

I had the heat on medium low. Next time I'll go even lower.

Chad

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom