"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

Is it tin or stainless steel lined? Their website didn't specify. I'm thinking on trying it, I'd like to compare it to the Baumalu I have and just love.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Falk is bimetal, .2mm stainless on 2.3mm of red copper (same as Mauviel's main line) Iron handles.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:41 PM   #13
Senior Cook

All of the Falk is lined with stainless steel, but it's that grayish European stainless, not the silvery stuff we're accustomed to in the US. But very easy to clean (I use Barkeepers Friend) and it cooks great.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:48 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

My research indicates that tin conducts heat better than ss???
Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
Executive Chef

technically yes. (and sounds different when food sizzles on it too). But we're dealing with very thin layers. Also tin melts at 460F. So sauteing and searing can be a problem unless one is careful and experienced. Tin was the standard, and is still used in a few specialty applications. Quite frankly, SS is the standard now for lining copper pans.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
Senior Cook

I agree. Most of my copper is tin lined and I've bought some old pieces and had them re-tinned. But when doing a high heat sear of meat it's awfully easy to get the tin too hot (produces little bubbles in the tin around the outer edges). So I have a couple of copper-stainless lined pieces or use cast iron or All Clad for a real browning of meat. But for a gentle braise or cooking with sauce the tin is great.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:30 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

That's good information to have. I'm also leery about cooking anything tomatoee in the copper pots, so I use my cast iron for that. I do plan on paying the Rocky Mountain Tinning Co. a visit. I called them yesterday and they said I could drop by but to call just to let them know I was coming.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
Executive Chef

As long as your copper is lined with tin or stainless, you can cook anything you like in it. Raw copper is only good for egg whites and sugary items like jams and jellies, caramels, etc.

Tags
cookware