Baumalu Copper Sauteuse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

R.A.M.

Assistant Cook
I just made an impulse buy of a Baumalu copper Sauteuse, hammered finish, tin lined, 20CM (8"?) pan it measures just over 3MM thick (which I find to be odd as most information lists 1-2 MM?. Once I picked it up in the store I couldn't set it down until I checked out.

I have been reading the various posts regarding these types of pans. The pan did not really come with any information (other than a little tag about the tin plating) I think I have the just of it:

-Clean the laquer off with acetone before first use
-do not use on to high heat (except maybe to boil water or soup, but why would I use this beauty to just boil water) as the tin does have a low melting point and could become unstable or fragile etc...
-use wooden/plastic utsensils
-do not clean interior with ANY type abrasive ir exterior for that matter
-eventually I will have to have retinned (which appears will cost more than I paid for the pan)

Now for my actual question-I have traditionally loved my enameled cast iron for cooking (LeC and Staub-french/dutch ovens, frypans, grill pans) which appearently heat a little slower than the copper but once they get up to temp do a great job for browning, searing etc... and work good for my style of cooking.

:chef: What is the actual benefit of the copper pan? What will I use it for, most effectively? it does not seem I will want to use it for browning, maybe sauces? small soups?

As I had mentioned it was an impulse buy but it's such a beauty that can't just have it hanging on the wall I have to use it.:ROFLMAO:

Thanks R.A.M.

Firstly Tin melts at ~450 F, so it's melting point only becomes a problem if you want something on a really high heat. Provided you take reasonable care you won't need to re-tin for at least 20 years in a domestic setting.

Copper heats up and cools down quickly and evenly. No hot spots or cool spots to worry about, the entire bottom of the pan will be at the same temperature. They're very good for recipes that call for changes in cooking temperature (e.g. bring to a boil and then simmer), and because of it's conductivity it is much easier to make subtle changes to the cooking temperature. PS Copper doesn't heat up a little faster than CI it heats up a lot faster than CI.

As for the thickness the rough rule of thumb is that anything less than 2mm thick is not really for serious cooking and is either for display or table service. From there serious copper cookware you want a minimum of 2mm of copper. Most lining is approx 0.5mm, so a 3mm lined pot will be 2.5mm copper and .5mm of tin which is getting into the best grades of copper cookware.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom