"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Baumalu Coppper Cookware

Hello all,

I have an opprotunity to buy what looks like some nice heavy duty copper pots by a company called Baumalu. I cannot find a website for them, and when I google them all I get are french sites. The pots have cast iron handles, and are tin lined. Has anyone heard of this company, and how do you feel about tin lining for pots?

Thanks

Elana

Old 03-01-2006, 09:22 AM   #2
Executive Chef

be careful. The top copper companies include: Mauviel, FAulk Culinair, Bourgeat, Dehlierin, Lara, Ruffoni, and Pupueini. These pans are heavy copper, all can come tin lined, and several also have a stainless lining.

If the copper feels light, even if the handle is heavy, if the copper is laquered, think twice. No pan copmpany expecting their wares to really be used laquers their pans. I have seen some "French copper" from Alsace region and it does not look or feel like what I cook with daily. The tin lining also doesn't seem very substantial.

Tin lined copper is great, but requires some care, as does non stick lining for example. But a thin lining will wear faster and require retining sooner. Home cooks should expect to retin a pan in 8 to 10 years of average use.

THe other tell tale sign is cost: A copper pan of quality is going to cost what an All Clad pan costs or more (their top line btw). SO at a discount house, you can expect to pay 50% of that. A 3qt pan should run about $80 in a Marshalls or TJMax. If it's less than that, I really suspect the workmanship or qualilty of the metal.

However if you want it for display, go ahead.

I just hate to see really fine cookware get a bad reputation from a few brands being sold that don't deliver the goods so to speak.

RIght now CHefs Resource (on line) has Mauviel on sale. Also check out hand made Tasmanian copper at www.Laracopper.com These folks guarentee their work.

Old 03-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

It seems to be a real brand, and it's being sold at Winner's which is the Canadian TJM. The prices are in line with what you're saying, and it just seems like a good deal. I haven't decided yet. I know that tin requires more care, but you should see what I'm cooking with right now. It's pathetic, and I'm a chef student. Thanks for the response. I'm just not sure. Usually too good to be true, is.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

well, yes and no. I began collecting copper pots at Marshalls, like a TJ max, and got tin lined hammered Mauviel. wow! THeir prices have gone up. But .

THe tin lining cookes fine, use wood or nylon utensils and soak food off in hot water, it will last a long time.
THe caution is: if the lining looks thin (plated) rather than hand wiped (irregular, even clumpy) Hand wiped is thicker and lasts longer. retinning can cost $60 or more, so better later than sooner. However, if you are getting a $150 pot for $50, and have to pay $50 for retining in 5 years, you are still ahead.

Buy one or two and give them a try. A fine copper pot heats fast and cools fast giving you great control. I can boil soup or stew in a pot on med low, never having raised the temp. food simmers gently, evenly without constant attention. And heavy copper cleans easily, polish after every use and it's never hard to clean. Or let it get brown with patina...still very pretty.

If the pot's good, it's addictive.

If the pot has been lacquered, that tells me that the company is not expecting people to buy the pot for use, but for show. It is a pain to remove the lacquer, I don't care what product you use.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Seems nobody has much info on this company. wish I could say yes go for it. But you have seen the goods, I haven't. GIve a call to a major gourmet shop or restaraunt supply company and see what they know. www.Broadwaypanhandler.com give them a call see what they know.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:44 PM   #6
Executive Chef

THis is the reply I got from the one of the largest resaurant supply and gourmet cookware companies in NYC, with extensive trade with French Manufacturers.

"Broadway Panhandler is not familiar with Baumalu copper cookware. We regret that we are unable to assist you. "

just fyi
Old 03-05-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
Executive Chef

http://cgi.ebay.com/French-Baumalu-C...QQcmdZViewItem

I was able to find a EBAY aution. It gives us some extra info on the brand of cookware.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...Name=WDVW&rd=1
This Ebay link has some extra pictures in it that might be of use to other posters.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Baumalu

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanavan
Hello all,

I have an opprotunity to buy what looks like some nice heavy duty copper pots by a company called Baumalu. I cannot find a website for them, and when I google them all I get are french sites. The pots have cast iron handles, and are tin lined. Has anyone heard of this company, and how do you feel about tin lining for pots?

Thanks

Elana
I have a Baumalu pan and I find it excellent! It's tinned by hand (who many prefer to stainless steel). This is high quality copperware!
Kind regards, Chris
Old 07-18-2007, 10:07 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I have worked with Baumalu extensively while in Paris.

It is a Common Copperware used in Commercial Restauruants in France and in Germany while I was shopping in Berlin I saw it for sale in one of the major cookware shops.

LOVE IT! 2mm rocks! --> I have several top quality copperware sets... Baumalu ranks in the top!

Tin Rules! - Just control your heat and years of cooking enjoyment are ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCM
I have a Baumalu pan and I find it excellent! It's tinned by hand (who many prefer to stainless steel). This is high quality copperware!
Kind regards, Chris
Old 07-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Sorry for the late post, I hope it is not too late...
I learned about Baumalu while in Belgium, their cooper pans are great and I was told it is professional grade. I own a set of 5 pieces and they are great (I use gas burners), the only things to watch are cooking temperature or heating an empty pan and using wooden sppons to avoid damaging the tin coating. Falk is also great (SS laminated on cooper), they produce the raw material for other manufacturers, like Mauviel near Leuven in Belgium.