"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
Flour Child

Best Brand Pots (sauce/soup)

What is your favorite brand of sauce/soup pots?
Something that is easy-care using "Bartender's Friend" cleanser.
And something where the handles don't get too hot.
I don't want non-stick. And copper is too expensive.
Thank you

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Half Baked

I have a set of Emrilware made by Allclad that I really like. I got it off E-bay for a really reasonable price.
I gave up all my Calphalon and went all stainless a couple years ago.All-clad is my favorite.

I like cheap for non-stick but not too cheap!
They just don't last long enough for me me to buy expensive ones.If i don't ruin them my wife will.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
Flour Child

Thank you for your prompt reply. Sounds good and great tip about Ebay. I'll keep watching the thread for other opinions and thanks again

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I prefer tri-ply stainless steel pots and pans. That's two layers of SS with a layer of aluminum in between. The whole pan is made with this triple layer material providing even heating throughout.

All-Clad is among the best but other brands are also very good and less money. Calphalon, Tramontina and others are good choices. Also check put Costco, Sam's and BJ's for this stuff.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
Half Baked

I had calphalon for quite a few years but gave it up and went stainless. I think the stainless is easier to clean and the handles don't get as hot.I do wish I kept one of the big fry pans for outdoor use though.

I have not seen Tramontine yet.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Flour Child

Thank you Andy. And good to know, formeandthem, that the handles get hot on the Calphalon. So is Tramontina a new brand that just came out?

Old 08-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

formeandthem: the Calphalon is tri-ply stainless.

Molly, Tramontina has been around for awhile.

Also look into Cuisinart and LeGourmet Chef brands.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #8
Executive Chef

since you don't want copper, AllCLad is the pinnacle, but there are many brands similar to it, some made right here in America. Check out the Marcus Samuelson pans from Regal. very affordable!
Old 08-28-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I have a nice stock pot, from sears of all places, it is a Kenmore brand All stainless finish). From what I read a full clad stockpot was overkill, something with a nice thick tri-ply bottom is all that is needed. Cuisinart also makes nice ones at fairly reasonable prices.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #10
Master Chef

I had to buy all new pots and pans about 9 years ago, and bought Sitram, which was relatively inexpensive and 9 years later I'm still pleased with them. I bought them through the Chefs' Catalog, but they do not carry them now. They have heavy, very flat bottoms. At the time I had a new, flat-top electric stove and they work perfectly with that, but I think they would on my previous (gas) stove as well. They are not non-stick, but have not proven difficult to clean. I bought a full set (because I had to replace everything), which I normally wouldn't do or recommend, but there is only one saucepan out of the set that I wouldn't buy if I was buying them separately, so for me, it was less expensive than buying them one at a time.