Best ceramic fry pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Calphalon pans you mentioned got good reviews on Amazon, but there is no description of what the nonstick coating is made of. I may have to call the company to find out.

An anodized pan doesn't have a coating - the aluminum itself is changed to a form that is harder and non-stick than plain aluminum. Here's more information: What is Anodizing?

And regarding food safety, here's a good summary: HGIC 3864 Cookware Safety : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

An anodized pan doesn't have a coating - the aluminum itself is changed to a form that is harder and non-stick than plain aluminum. Here's more information: What is Anodizing?

And regarding food safety, here's a good summary: HGIC 3864 Cookware Safety : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

Interesting article. Thanks for posting.

I found this quote very interesting:

"Nonstick Coatings

Although nonstick pans will wear away with hard use and particles may chip off, the Food and Drug Administration has stated that these particles would pass unchanged through your body and pose no health hazard. A coated pan heated for long periods at high temperatures will give off fumes, but these are less toxic than fumes given off by ordinary cooking oils."

I bought 2 red and white Bialetti pans couple of month ago and so far I am not impressed with them.

Thank you, GotGarlic and Andy M. Looks like it might be worth trying the Calphalon Anodized pans.

The Anolon hard-anodized pans also got good reviews on Amazon, and they're a little less pricey than the Calphalon.

I came across this discussion and just wanted to mention that most of the nonstick pans discussed here actually do have Teflon coatings. For instance, the Anolon hard-anodized pans are noted on Amazon to have a "Dupont Autograph 2 nonstick coating". Dupont is a manufacturer of Teflon coatings.

Another product recommended in this thread, the Scanpan CTX product range, also has Teflon coatings, as you can see on the manufacturer's FAQ:
PTFE (short for polytetrafluoroethylene) is the base compound for any and all nonstick coatings.
PTFE is better known as Teflon.

I think a lot of people are confused about what these products actually contain. These days Teflon pans, particularly higher-priced ones, are made without the toxin PFOA. Manufacturers use this to advertise their products as PFOA-free and "greener". Although this is strictly speaking true, the lack of PFOA does not mean you're not getting Teflon.

But even if your Teflon is free of PFOA, that doesn't mean that it is safe to use at high (i.e., 200 °C (392 °F)) temperatures.

I have read that some manufacturers suggest that their Teflon products are more resistant to heat due to the addition of aluminium, titanium or some other alloy. This seems to me like a good development, but I personally won't trust these assertions until they have been validated by independent studies.

To answer the thread originator's question, unfortunately I have not yet heard of a durable ceramic coated pan. It seems that, at least for the time being, we have to rely on short lifespan ceramics or pans without a nonstick coating, such as all-stainless steel or cast-iron pans, if we are to cook with chemically inert pans.

The above is the result of my study of the subject of nonstick coatings, which I did (you've guessed it) because I need a new frying pan.

Last edited by a moderator:
I came across this discussion and just wanted to mention that most of the nonstick pans discussed here actually do have Teflon coatings. For instance, the Anolon hard-anodized pans are noted on Amazon to have a "Dupont Autograph 2 nonstick coating". Dupont is a manufacturer of Teflon coatings.

Another product recommended in this thread, the Scanpan CTX product range, also has Teflon coatings, as you can see on the manufacturer's FAQ:
PTFE is better known as Teflon.

I think a lot of people are confused about what these products actually contain. These days Teflon pans, particularly higher-priced ones, are made without the toxin PFOA. Manufacturers use this to advertise their products as PFOA-free and "greener". Although this is strictly speaking true, the lack of PFOA does not mean you're not getting Teflon.

But even if your Teflon is free of PFOA, that doesn't mean that it is safe to use at high (i.e., 200 °C (392 °F)) temperatures.

I have read that some manufacturers suggest that their Teflon products are more resistant to heat due to the addition of aluminium, titanium or some other alloy. This seems to me like a good development, but I personally won't trust these assertions until they have been validated by independent studies.

To answer the thread originator's question, unfortunately I have not yet heard of a durable ceramic coated pan. It seems that, at least for the time being, we have to rely on short lifespan ceramics or pans without a nonstick coating, such as all-stainless steel or cast-iron pans, if we are to cook with chemically inert pans.

The above is the result of my study of the subject of nonstick coatings, which I did (you've guessed it) because I need a new frying pan.

I agree. Teh hard anodizing affects the outside surface of the pan, making it resistant to scratches and abrasions. It also make is resistant to corrosion. The cooing surface is coated with a premium non-stick coating.

Two other options are carbon steel pans, and mineral steel pans. which act just like cast iron, but are lighter, and get hotter, faster. They also are more prone to giving up that heat faster as they don't have as much thermal mass. Once seasoned, they are virtually non-stick. The downside, if you remove the seasoning say by scrubbing with steel wool, they will rust, just like cast iron. But seasoned properly, they will last a life time. Also, an advantage of steel is that it is more malleable than is cast iron, and so won't shatter from thermal shock. It can warp though, just like stainless steel.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my "Orgreenic" pans and have 3 different sizes. They aren't the most expensive or best quality but nothing sticks and they do the best job of browning up just about anything that's put in them. I don't know how long they'll last but I'd go right out tomorrow and replace with the same brand.

I had to mention my experience with set of Calphalon commercial non-stick cookware. They were super expensive and I have never been so disappointed in a cooking product in my life. They eventually ended up making a one-way trip to Goodwill. I replaced them with a medium grade Cuisinart SS pan set and I've been happy ever since.

Last edited:
that's interesting about Calphalon, I have a set we got as a present for our wedding, that's 22 years ago, I have no problem with them at all.

I love my "Orgreenic" pans and have 3 different sizes. They aren't the most expensive or best quality but nothing sticks and they do the best job of browning up just about anything that's put in them. I don't know how long they'll last but I'd go right out tomorrow and replace with the same brand.
How long have you had them?

Do you fry with cold pressed virgin oils?

Last edited:
How long have you had them?

Do you fry with cold pressed virgin oils?

I've had them for about a year.

I am too cheap/unsophisticated to fry with cold-pressed virgin olive oils. I reserve that for salads but normally use just ordinary supermarket olive oil and cooking oil when frying/sauteeing.

I have small/medium/large size and am just blown away at how these pans brown and crisp things up that are hard to brown/crisp up. They clean up easily and I am cooking on a gas stove.

Back
Top Bottom