"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Best ceramic fry pan?

I've used several different brands of ceramic fry pans and haven't come across one that was durable. I've tried Bialetti, Cuisinart Green Gourmet, and most recently Twiztt. Has anyone had a good experience with a particular brand of ceramic cookware?

Old 05-19-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I've never tried ceramic cookware. I've used stainless steel, cast iron, and enameled cast iron; they're all very durable. Why do you want to use ceramic?

Old 05-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've never tried ceramic cookware. I've used stainless steel, cast iron, and enameled cast iron; they're all very durable. Why do you want to use ceramic?
It's a healthier alternative to Teflon and is lighter than cast iron.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Unless it is overheated or you use utensils that scratch the surface, Teflon is not particularly unhealthy. I prefer cast iron, despite its weight. It is practically indestructible.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
It's a healthier alternative to Teflon and is lighter than cast iron.
Back when Teflon was introduced, everyone thought it was the healthier alternative.

All we can really say is that we don't know as much about ceramic non-stick as we do about Teflon.

As Hoot said, unless it's grossly overheated, it's safe.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I bought the green one at Bed Bugs and Beyond for $19.95. It currently performs quite well. When it doesn't, it was cheap enough that I have no qualms about tossing it into the recycle bin and buying another one.

If you have a problem with green, they sell a blue one now, too.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:20 AM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I bought the green one at Bed Bugs and Beyond for $19.95. It currently performs quite well. When it doesn't, it was cheap enough that I have no qualms about tossing it into the recycle bin and buying another one.

If you have a problem with green, they sell a blue one now, too.
What brand was the green one? I just read reviews of the Zwilling Spirit Thermolon pans and they were very favorable. Those are the pans they use on the show Chopped. Pricey but perhaps worth a try. I enjoy watching the chefs use those pans on the show, and they don't seem to be cooking on low heat.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
What brand was the green one? I just read reviews of the Zwilling Spirit Thermolon pans and they were very favorable. Those are the pans they use on the show Chopped. Pricey but perhaps worth a try. I enjoy watching the chefs use those pans on the show, and they don't seem to be cooking on low heat.
On another board there was a discussion of how the Chopped Chefs seem to have trouble with those blue pans, as they seem to often have trouble controlling the heat.

I actually asked a chef I know who was on Chopped two or three times about the blue pans one night when he mixed me a cocktail and he said he didn't like them. But that might just be because they are very different than what he uses in his restaurants.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Master Chef

Mineral pans have all the advantages of cast iron, but at half the weight. Of course, because of the greater mass of cast iron, they have more thermal mass, which means they maintain a more even temperature once they come up to temperature. Cast iron is also much cheaper.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

SCAN PAN CTX

IT IS INSANELY GOOD .

1. Non-stick ceramic
2. USE METAL UTENSILS
3. Lifetime warranty
4. Induction compliant
5. Stainless / Aluminum clad

I have had a couple for several years. One (8" frypan) gets used 3x per day for eggs etc. Steel tools every time (per mfgr's specs ok to use them)

I was looking for 2 nonstick fry pans .... these things are the best !!!!!

I urge everyone to try them. They are expensive (price point like All Clad) ...but they, like All Clad are worth it.

I bought mine at Sur La Table, knowing that if I did not like them I could return them NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

You will love these pans. There are days I just do not want to mess with my All Clad / Mauvier copper or my Le Creuset .... these pans are wonderful.