Best ceramic fry pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I've used several different brands of ceramic fry pans and haven't come across one that was durable. I've tried Bialetti, Cuisinart Green Gourmet, and most recently Twiztt. Has anyone had a good experience with a particular brand of ceramic cookware?

I've never tried ceramic cookware. I've used stainless steel, cast iron, and enameled cast iron; they're all very durable. Why do you want to use ceramic?

I've never tried ceramic cookware. I've used stainless steel, cast iron, and enameled cast iron; they're all very durable. Why do you want to use ceramic?

It's a healthier alternative to Teflon and is lighter than cast iron.

Unless it is overheated or you use utensils that scratch the surface, Teflon is not particularly unhealthy. I prefer cast iron, despite its weight. It is practically indestructible.

It's a healthier alternative to Teflon and is lighter than cast iron.

Back when Teflon was introduced, everyone thought it was the healthier alternative.

All we can really say is that we don't know as much about ceramic non-stick as we do about Teflon.

As Hoot said, unless it's grossly overheated, it's safe.

I bought the green one at Bed Bugs and Beyond for $19.95. It currently performs quite well. When it doesn't, it was cheap enough that I have no qualms about tossing it into the recycle bin and buying another one.

If you have a problem with green, they sell a blue one now, too.

I bought the green one at Bed Bugs and Beyond for $19.95. It currently performs quite well. When it doesn't, it was cheap enough that I have no qualms about tossing it into the recycle bin and buying another one.

If you have a problem with green, they sell a blue one now, too.

What brand was the green one? I just read reviews of the Zwilling Spirit Thermolon pans and they were very favorable. Those are the pans they use on the show Chopped. Pricey but perhaps worth a try. I enjoy watching the chefs use those pans on the show, and they don't seem to be cooking on low heat.

What brand was the green one? I just read reviews of the Zwilling Spirit Thermolon pans and they were very favorable. Those are the pans they use on the show Chopped. Pricey but perhaps worth a try. I enjoy watching the chefs use those pans on the show, and they don't seem to be cooking on low heat.

On another board there was a discussion of how the Chopped Chefs seem to have trouble with those blue pans, as they seem to often have trouble controlling the heat.

I actually asked a chef I know who was on Chopped two or three times about the blue pans one night when he mixed me a cocktail and he said he didn't like them. But that might just be because they are very different than what he uses in his restaurants.

Mineral pans have all the advantages of cast iron, but at half the weight. Of course, because of the greater mass of cast iron, they have more thermal mass, which means they maintain a more even temperature once they come up to temperature. Cast iron is also much cheaper.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

SCAN PAN CTX

IT IS INSANELY GOOD .

1. Non-stick ceramic
2. USE METAL UTENSILS
3. Lifetime warranty
4. Induction compliant
5. Stainless / Aluminum clad

I have had a couple for several years. One (8" frypan) gets used 3x per day for eggs etc. Steel tools every time (per mfgr's specs ok to use them)

I was looking for 2 nonstick fry pans .... these things are the best !!!!!

I urge everyone to try them. They are expensive (price point like All Clad) ...but they, like All Clad are worth it.

I bought mine at Sur La Table, knowing that if I did not like them I could return them NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

You will love these pans. There are days I just do not want to mess with my All Clad / Mauvier copper or my Le Creuset .... these pans are wonderful.

Last edited:
I have a green (colored) one but don't know if that's the one talked about here.
Mine has a sort of dimpled bottom (Oops!) that I now wish wasn't there. If I try another kind it will have a smooth bottom. (Oops!)

But they're better than Teflon I think and may be safer to use.

I may just have to go back to cast iron even though they're getting heavier with each year I age. Or my very old wok that I've had since my daughter was about 2 years old. (That was back when no one even knew what a wok was unless they were Asian.)

SCAN PAN CTX

IT IS INSANELY GOOD .

1. Non-stick ceramic
2. USE METAL UTENSILS
3. Lifetime warranty
4. Induction compliant

Wow I didn't know they were that good! I saw them at Sur La Table and didn't buy them because of the price. Sounds like they are worth it!

Can you cook on high heat with them?

To kitchengoddess:
You asked:
"Can you cook on high heat with them?"

No you can't which makes them less than perfect for me. But they're good for everything else.

Do any of you remember the Corningware with the blue flower on the outside? I still have a square caserole that I use often. I had a few of their saucepans that I received as gifts. I liked them. They cleaned easily and had glass covers, before they were popular, and the food never stuck. But they can be heavy when there is food in them. :angel:

I think the big reason that makes everyone to go for ceramic cookware is safer than Teflon. But, from my experiences, the normal ceramic coats weren't last for long just like ordinary Telfon. (Gosh I bought 3-time pricier to be trash like cheaper some!) Moreover, these pans couldn't resist high temperature.
So I turn to hard-anodized pans, Anolon Advance, which are 'safe enough' for cooking.

Well, after giving up for ceramic, I just found some nice ceramic pans as irony!
As Jeff C said, that's true. These're some really good products that have harder coats (allowed for metal utensils and high heating):

- Scanpan CTX
- Zwilling J.A. Henckels Thermolon (Spirit, Sol)
- Woll Titanium (I had this, very tough coating) /Woll diamond.

Well, if concerning about high heat cooking, I think enameled cast-iron is more suitable.

Interesting...

$172.33 for ONE 12-3/4-inch frying pan??? I read the reviews of it on Amazon, and some people were not happy. For that price, EVERYBODY should be happy, and the pan should be lined with diamonds and have a solid gold handle.

For $114.99, you can get this:
Oneida Pro Series Hard Anodized Cookware Hard Anodized 10 Piece Cookware Set

My husband bought me this set of these four years ago for less than $100, and I use them daily. The only one that is showing wear is the stock pot, and that's my fault--I burned it a couple of times and now I am using a stainless steel one in its place. The other pots and pans are still fantastic.

SCAN PAN CTX

IT IS INSANELY GOOD .

1. Non-stick ceramic
2. USE METAL UTENSILS
3. Lifetime warranty
4. Induction compliant

I have had a couple for several years. One (8" frypan) gets used 3x per day for eggs etc. Steel tools every time (per mfgr's specs ok to use them)

I was looking for 2 nonstick fry pans .... these things are the best !!!!!

I urge everyone to try them. They are expensive (price point like All Clad) ...but they, like All Clad are worth it.

I bought mine at Sur La Table, knowing that if I did not like them I could return them NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

You will love these pans. There are days I just do not want to mess with my All Clad / Mauvier copper or my Le Creuset .... these pans are wonderful.

I posted somewhere else that I bought one at Safeway for about $15 dollars (10" saute pan) that was smooth in the bottom. I wound up hating the one with the dimpled bottom and gave it away. So far the new one is better. But you still can't cook on high heat.

Is anodized aluminum non-stick? And is it non-toxic? I've never cooked with it.

If you're asking me (cave76) I'm sorry I don't know. I threw the tags away and just now, looking at the pan, there's no name on it.

There's a lot of talk about toxic and non-toxic with these types of pans. I truly don't know what to believe. I think that's everyone's choice.

IMHO, the very best pans you can purchase are high-carbon steel, mineral pans, and cast iron. They are non-toxic at any temperature, can cook at any temperature, and are virtually non-stick after they are properly seasoned. There are no downsides except weight. And if you can find Griswold pans, they are lighter than Lodge, or Redstone.

I really don't know any other material that suits so many different cooking needs as can be ferrous-based pans. That said, I have one son who swears by Calphalon anodized pans. I havn't used them, and so can't really be objective. I have used many other pans with inner coatings. None have measured up.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom