"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 03-31-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Best Cookware for Curry?

My love of Indian food has inspired me to learn how to cook curries.

I'm a novice, but with a handful of dishes behind me I'm ready to purchase new cookware for my hobby.

I've read numerous web articles/forums/etc. and have yet to find a consensus answer as to which is the best pan to cook curry.

I've seen karahi, wok, saute pan, chef's pan, skillet, and dutch oven all as suggestions.

I have an average sized electric stove with typical coil shaped burners.

I'm looking for a pan that heats evenly, cooks well, doesn't taint the flavor or color of my food; a piece of cookware that will last a very long time.

I usually only make enough food for 2-4 people.

I'm willing to spend the money for something that suits my needs.

Any suggestions (type, style, size, brand, etc.) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Bryan

Old 03-31-2010, 08:34 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Just as a bit of background and something I wasn't aware of until this past week, but curry isn't Indian. It's a mixture of spices that the British concocted in England to remind them of the flavors of India after they gave it up to independence. It's kind of like the American invention of Chop Suey. It's said that if you ask an Indian cook about their curry dishes, they'll simply stare at you strangely. Indians cook masala.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting when I learned about it.

As to your cookware, curry is generally served as a sauce poured over a protein and bed of rice, so I would think that a nice S.S. sauce pan would serve you best.

Old 03-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Head Chef

I use my dutchoven a ton to cook my wet curries and beans. I also like to use a saute pan or deeper skillets to cook my dry curries.

I don't use the tradiitonal karahi's and pots because it's a pain to clean. I use non-stick (calphalon, anolon, etc.) for my curries. Some may disagree but I have been doing this for years and it works well for me.

For Biryani's a layered rice dish I normally use an oven proof thick bottom large saute pan or disposable trays so the cooking surface is larger since I use raw meat and let it cook with the rice. I put in the oven and forget about it for 3 hours and perfection in no time.

Finally a pressure cooker is a must. I was in India recently and got a non-stick pressure cooker which is a breeze to clean. I also have a SEB cooker that my friend got for me from France that I use for bigger batches of goat meat curry.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #4
Executive Chef

I really like this site for all the things I learn. Thanks Yakuta!

Like bsc1975, I'm just beginning to appreciate curry enough to begin cooking it.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

How about something like this?

All-Clad Stainless 3.5 Quart Domed Saute Pan
Old 03-31-2010, 02:27 PM   #6
Executive Chef

from the "requirements" you list, your best pan will be a metal, multi layer clad "dutch over" stock pot etc. 4 or 5 qt. Stainless lined. You can get fairly cheap multi clad pans but if you want proven durability, spring for AllClad. You have several style and size choices. The all stainless steel model is induction ready should you go that route with a new cooktop, and is dishwasher safe.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 PM   #7
Senior Cook

A 3 or 4 qt All Clad rounded pan would be perfect. Easy to cook in and easy to clean. No yucky non-stick to hold old flavors. No aluminum or cast iron to leach a metallic taste into the food. I have a 3 qt cassoulet with loop handles on each side and use it for curry, pasta sauce, lentils, beans, soup, sauted chicken in wine, you name it.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Executive Chef

a 5 or 6 qt soup pot or "dutch" oven from All Clad or Le Creuset.. It is a good basic size, easy to clean, and as you asked for..."I'm looking for a pan that heats evenly, cooks well, doesn't taint the flavor or color of my food; a piece of cookware that will last a very long time."
Old 07-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

The ultimate curry cooker is a black matte Staub oval cocotte with brass knob,for 2-4 people.a 5 QT is ok,i'd go 7Qt.Will not stain,the black ceramic enamel inside is much tougher than lecruiset enamel,and builds up another layer of protective oils,,just a much nicer cast all around..i have a 7qt,5qt oval going on 10 years of heavy usage and they're like new.Also have some round Staubs,my lecruisets are much lighter and stain,cheaper built so aren't all that good compared to the Staubs.
Old 07-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

I've been in several Indian and Asian homes and seen cheap, thin, crappy cookware some use to make the most fantastic dishes. I appreciate and use good quality cookware but I realize it's not the cookware that makes me a good cook.