Best Cookware for Curry?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsc1975

Assistant Cook
My love of Indian food has inspired me to learn how to cook curries.

I'm a novice, but with a handful of dishes behind me I'm ready to purchase new cookware for my hobby.

I've read numerous web articles/forums/etc. and have yet to find a consensus answer as to which is the best pan to cook curry.

I've seen karahi, wok, saute pan, chef's pan, skillet, and dutch oven all as suggestions.

I have an average sized electric stove with typical coil shaped burners.

I'm looking for a pan that heats evenly, cooks well, doesn't taint the flavor or color of my food; a piece of cookware that will last a very long time.

I usually only make enough food for 2-4 people.

I'm willing to spend the money for something that suits my needs.

Any suggestions (type, style, size, brand, etc.) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Bryan

Just as a bit of background and something I wasn't aware of until this past week, but curry isn't Indian. It's a mixture of spices that the British concocted in England to remind them of the flavors of India after they gave it up to independence. It's kind of like the American invention of Chop Suey. It's said that if you ask an Indian cook about their curry dishes, they'll simply stare at you strangely. Indians cook masala.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting when I learned about it.

As to your cookware, curry is generally served as a sauce poured over a protein and bed of rice, so I would think that a nice S.S. sauce pan would serve you best.

I use my dutchoven a ton to cook my wet curries and beans. I also like to use a saute pan or deeper skillets to cook my dry curries.

I don't use the tradiitonal karahi's and pots because it's a pain to clean. I use non-stick (calphalon, anolon, etc.) for my curries. Some may disagree but I have been doing this for years and it works well for me.

For Biryani's a layered rice dish I normally use an oven proof thick bottom large saute pan or disposable trays so the cooking surface is larger since I use raw meat and let it cook with the rice. I put in the oven and forget about it for 3 hours and perfection in no time.

Finally a pressure cooker is a must. I was in India recently and got a non-stick pressure cooker which is a breeze to clean. I also have a SEB cooker that my friend got for me from France that I use for bigger batches of goat meat curry.

I really like this site for all the things I learn. :) Thanks Yakuta!

Like bsc1975, I'm just beginning to appreciate curry enough to begin cooking it.

from the "requirements" you list, your best pan will be a metal, multi layer clad "dutch over" stock pot etc. 4 or 5 qt. Stainless lined. You can get fairly cheap multi clad pans but if you want proven durability, spring for AllClad. You have several style and size choices. The all stainless steel model is induction ready should you go that route with a new cooktop, and is dishwasher safe.

A 3 or 4 qt All Clad rounded pan would be perfect. Easy to cook in and easy to clean. No yucky non-stick to hold old flavors. No aluminum or cast iron to leach a metallic taste into the food. I have a 3 qt cassoulet with loop handles on each side and use it for curry, pasta sauce, lentils, beans, soup, sauted chicken in wine, you name it.

a 5 or 6 qt soup pot or "dutch" oven from All Clad or Le Creuset.. It is a good basic size, easy to clean, and as you asked for..."I'm looking for a pan that heats evenly, cooks well, doesn't taint the flavor or color of my food; a piece of cookware that will last a very long time."

The ultimate curry cooker is a black matte Staub oval cocotte with brass knob,for 2-4 people.a 5 QT is ok,i'd go 7Qt.Will not stain,the black ceramic enamel inside is much tougher than lecruiset enamel,and builds up another layer of protective oils,,just a much nicer cast all around..i have a 7qt,5qt oval going on 10 years of heavy usage and they're like new.Also have some round Staubs,my lecruisets are much lighter and stain,cheaper built so aren't all that good compared to the Staubs.

I've been in several Indian and Asian homes and seen cheap, thin, crappy cookware some use to make the most fantastic dishes. I appreciate and use good quality cookware but I realize it's not the cookware that makes me a good cook.

Ok Andy M :glare:, i change my reply,,get some cheap,thin crappy cookware bsc1975.:rolleyes:

no, no...don;t change. I was using this thread as an excuse to go shopping!

:chef:

Ok i change my reply Janet H...They also make the best deeeeep:innocent: fryers for indian cookery n french fries...samosa anyone?I may just go shopping myself.:cool:

Just as a bit of background and something I wasn't aware of until this past week, but curry isn't Indian. It's a mixture of spices that the British concocted in England to remind them of the flavors of India after they gave it up to independence. It's kind of like the American invention of Chop Suey. It's said that if you ask an Indian cook about their curry dishes, they'll simply stare at you strangely. Indians cook masala.

Not true at all Selkie. Curry is DEFINITELY Indian - not British. Completely. The original British-concocted mixture of spices is simply the common "yellow curry powder". Nothing more; nothing less.

Indian curry spice mixtures run into thousands & thousands of different mixtures, since every individual area & even every individual Indian family has their own specific curry mixes. This is why asking an Indian for "curry" might meet with a stare - it means different things to different areas of India, as well as individual families. There's no such thing as just "curry" in India. Even the very common "Garam Masala" spice mix used in many curries varies tremendously in its ingredients.

Pick up a good authentic Indian cookbook with some culture included - it'll verify what I've posted.

My love of Indian food has inspired me to learn how to cook curries.

I'm a novice, but with a handful of dishes behind me I'm ready to purchase new cookware for my hobby.

I'm looking for a pan that heats evenly, cooks well, doesn't taint the flavor or color of my food; a piece of cookware that will last a very long time.

I usually only make enough food for 2-4 people.

I'm willing to spend the money for something that suits my needs.

For 2 to 4 people, you'll need a pan large enough to provide second helpings, as you probably know just how wonderful Indian food tastes. Buy a pan made from stainless steel, because aluminium will react with curry spices.

There is no need to spend a lot. I suggest you buy a wok. Carbon steel is best for evenly distributing heat, but you must season it before use. as for pans, check out Amazon.com as they have excellent cut prices on Calphalon, Cuisinart etc.

SWIFT are excellent value for money. They mostly make stockpots, actually very good for Indian food.
Swift Supreme sg Deep Stockpot and Lid, 20cm, 5.5 Litres: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

Incidentally, Wikipedia has a very good section on the origins of Curry. Curry did not originate from England as some believe.

Curry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
curry pan

hello

i started of with indian cooking and still used a lot of sauce-style dishes with indian spices. i found that any saute pan with at least 3" height works well. in my experience sloping sides seemed more comfortabkle for cooking than flat sides.
i like my 4.5qt bourgeat evasee for its shape and size which is just right for all semi-wet "curries". quality of SS is great so cleanup is always easy. i have also used 10-11" pans with flat sides successfully. i would not use indian pots because maintenance is high (cleanup etc) and their handles are not often convenient. also, a wider dutch oven(5-6qt) is ok too but they are more suitable for liquidy-curries. indian wet-ish curries stay for quite a while so better to cook in quantity ..so size of 4-6 qt works better 2-3 qt .

note. inidians also make dry dishes..for that, a wide pan (14") works well

rgds
mn

Not true at all Selkie. Curry is DEFINITELY Indian - not British. Completely. The original British-concocted mixture of spices is simply the common "yellow curry powder". Nothing more; nothing less.

Indian curry spice mixtures run into thousands & thousands of different mixtures, since every individual area & even every individual Indian family has their own specific curry mixes. This is why asking an Indian for "curry" might meet with a stare - it means different things to different areas of India, as well as individual families. There's no such thing as just "curry" in India. Even the very common "Garam Masala" spice mix used in many curries varies tremendously in its ingredients.

Pick up a good authentic Indian cookbook with some culture included - it'll verify what I've posted.

From my understanding, the British contribution to curries was writing down the recipes. :D

I'm a brit:) in Hindi there is no word "curry" Selkie is nearly right when the British Raj was removed from India they returned with various masala spice powders, they are called Curry powder in English. A style of cooking "curries" has developed over here its called batch cooking restaurant style, the product is nothing like the Indian home version, it was developed so a spiced braise of Lamb, Beef or Pork( pork vindaloo is a portuguese christian dish) can be produced in 10 mins. I will explain how it is done if you want.
This is a good web site it has recipes and advicehttp://www.mamtaskitchen.com my older brother bought the Curry Club where Pat Chappman is the English master unfortunately his company sold it about 20 yrs agoHome - Pat Chapman's Curry Club I was taught by the chefs at VEERASWAMY - home 35 yrs ago when my family firm supplied them, I used to visit them once a week to take their rice and spice orders and eat lunch with the chefs they started my love of Indian food.
Ps on V website and its sister restaurant you will not see the word curry to them it like calling a Macdonalds a beefburger:)

Last edited:
This is a good web site it has recipes and adviceMamta's Kitchen my older brother bought the Curry Club where Pat Chappman is the English master unfortunately his company sold it about 20 yrs agoHome - Pat Chapman's Curry Club I was taught by the chefs at VEERASWAMY - home 35 yrs ago when my family firm supplied them, I used to visit them once a week to take their rice and spice orders and eat lunch with the chefs they started my love of Indian food.

Great links! I bookmarked http://www.mamtaskitchen.comand FB friended
Home - Pat Chapman's Curry Club.

and will continue now, since I could not get the HTML controls to behave ... I have never attempted Indian Breads, because the recipes seem to require either a tandoori or a gas range, neither of which I have. What can I do to make naan, if I have and electric range in the US?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom