Best loaf pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suzyQ3

Washing Up
I happened to notice the current thread about exploding Pyrex just as I was about to ask you all what you consider the best material for a loaf pan. I've been using Pyrex and haven't had a problem so far, but I'm wondering whether I would get better results -- and be safer -- using some other material. I use loaf pans mostly for meatloaf or quick breads.

I have some Emile Henry pie plates and some Pillivuyt rectangular bakers and like both very much. Anyone tried EH loaf pans (or some other type)? Do you think they're worth the higher price?

Cooks Illustrated did a loaf pan test a few years back and their favorite one was The Baker's Secret Non-Stick Loaf Pan

A few years ago my mom gave my wife and I some non-stick KA pans, cookie sheets, etc. They work very well. The non-stick seems very sturdy.

I'd like to stay away from any metal pans because I like being able to reheat any leftovers in the microwave.

We use both glass and metal pans but remove the item from the pan when it's done and store it in different packaging.

I like the Corningware pans for baking. I have 2 loaf pans I've used for a long time... no problems. Always scrub them with a "no scratch" thing. And I use no-scratch utensils, as well.

Hmmm. I googled the subject, and according to one review on Amazon.com, the current Pyrex glass is made from a different substance than the pre-1998 version, and the current stuff cannot be used like the older stuff. My Corningware is from the 1970s.

Most of the stoneware is microwaveable - I love the stuff. It's easy to clean too. Just check in your instructions or call the manufacturer of stoneware if you have it if you are unsure.

I stopped into a Corning ware store a few years ago looking for some mixing bowls. I got into a conversation with the clerk about Corning Ware/Pyrx loaf pans cracking, she said that most of the time the trouble is the pan going from the freezer to the hot oven. The temp. difference is to much for the pan. I usally use glass for meat loaf I like the results better.

When I make a meatloaf, I don't use a pan. I shape the loaf in the pan and turn it out onto a baking sheet.

I use Pyrex exclusively. I have metal loaf pans but they haven't seen the light of day for quite some time.

I used to put a folded up paper towel in the bottom to absorb grease, but I got a great idea from Cooking Light magazine. Use a loaf pan to form the loaf, then turn it out onto a broiler pan, so any grease that results from baking drains away from the meat loaf and down through the grid into the bottom pan.

631590.gif

Last edited:
Well, I've gone ahead and bought an Emile Henry fluted loaf pan at WS -- cerise with a white interior. Who knows whether it will produce good or better results than Pyrex, though? I'll let you know next time I make a meatloaf.

But one thing's for sure: It looks pretty in my buffet, and -- next time I want to take a meatloaf to my daughter's house for dinner (the only way I get invited these days, given that she has two little ones), it will make a helluva nicer presentation than my Pyrex dish.

And some people say my priorities are mixed up!:wacko:

suzyQ3 said:
Well, I've gone ahead and bought an Emile Henry fluted loaf pan at WS -- cerise with a white interior. Who knows whether it will produce good or better results than Pyrex, though? I'll let you know next time I make a meatloaf.

But one thing's for sure: It looks pretty in my buffet, and -- next time I want to take a meatloaf to my daughter's house for dinner (the only way I get invited these days, given that she has two little ones), it will make a helluva nicer presentation than my Pyrex dish.

And some people say my priorities are mixed up!:wacko:

Life is full of compromises. At least you get to see your daughter and grandchildren.

All Corningware is now made of stoneware and is mainly used now for baking and reheating foods.. And most of the Pyrex incidents you read about are all due to misuse of the pan. Pyrex can go from a freezer to a pre heated oven.

Back
Top Bottom