Best piece of Le Creuset?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael in FtW said:
LeCruset has a white interior - Staub has a black interior.
I am curious if you are saying the black interior is better. I would think white would be better because it is easier to see color changes take place. It would be hard to see the color of a roux in a black interior I would think. I learn something from almost all your posts Michael so I am sure I will learn something here too :)

GB said:
I am curious if you are saying the black interior is better.

Not at all GB! Nope - just noting the interior color as one of the differences between LeCruset and Staub.

Personally, I don't have a problem seeing color changes cooking in a dark colored pot/pan - but, I grew up cooking in cast iron. Some people do have a problem with color perception depending on the background - so for some a light color (white enamel, bright aluminum, or stainless steel) would be better for the visual color cues. Others who can judge better against a dark color background would be better off with cast iron, dark anodized aluminum, or a black enamel surface.

Now I must disagree! Black interiors are better!

According to the Cook's Catalog, black interiors allow for better browning than light interiors.

I am not sure I would believe everything I read. I have never had a problem getting perfect browning in my white interior. I am sure black can do just as good as white, but I don't see how it can do any better as I already find I get perfect browning.

Ok.

But since the authors of Cook's Catalog are Burt Wolfe and James Beard, I have trouble not believing what they write.

No doubt about it, they are very knowledgeable. I just prefer to use there words as a guide and not the end all be all, and use my own experiences as the final word.

Boy, CC, don't take what I said as an endorsement for the browning capabilities of one color over another .. because I never said anything like that!

But, in the FWIW column - I have had white enamel interiors and NEVER had a problem with browning. Well, actually I did, but then I learned to use "the knob" and not try to cook everything on high. :wacko:

Back
Top Bottom