"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-11-2005, 10:39 PM   #11
Senior Cook

www.cutleryandmore.com have sale prices on the following - shipping is free.

5qt oval : $129.95 (list price: $235, Amazon price $179.99)
5.5qt round : $139.95 (list: $250, Amazon: $169.99)
6.5qt oval : $149.99 (list: $270, Amazon: $199.99)
7qt round : $159.99 to $169.99 depending on colour. (list: $285, Amazon: $209.99)

I did find one or two websites with slightly cheaper prices - but they added up to more once you had added shipping charges on - Le Creuset is very heavy, so shipping can be expensive. There were also some great bargains on ebay - but again, remember to add on shipping costs with ebay.

Happy shopping, Paint.

Old 06-12-2005, 08:47 AM   #12
Chief Eating Officer

Those are great prices Paint! Thanks for the site.

Old 06-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #13
Cook

I found this place posted by someone here I dont remember who it was. I bought my 7qt. french oven here for about $125.00 including shipping.

http://www.caplanduval2000.com/le_creuset.html

P.S. I don't see any 7 qt. french ovens at the present maybe they're sold out?
Old 06-13-2005, 12:53 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
The concensus appears to be almost unanamous on the size. There is a difference of opinion on the shape.

Why do those of you who prefer oval, prefer oval?
Well, for my stews, chili, beans, soups and such that I'm going to cook on the stovetop the shape isn't very important.

But, for things things that are going into the oven for slow cooking that are longer than they are wide; like chicken, duck, rolled roast - the oval shape kind of fits the shape of the food. It allows more even spacing between the food and the sides of the pot for more even heat distribution.

At least - that's the way I figure it.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:43 AM   #15
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie
I found this place posted by someone here I dont remember who it was. I bought my 7qt. french oven here for about $125.00 including shipping.

http://www.caplanduval2000.com/le_creuset.html

P.S. I don't see any 7 qt. french ovens at the present maybe they're sold out?
I looked at this website when I bought my oval oven too, and they have great prices - but they are based in Canada and once I'd added on the shipping charge to the USA, it worked out at around the same price as cutlery&more, plus their shipping was quite slow - around 2 weeks to 17 days, so that's why I went with cutlery&more for the 5qt oval. However - you DO save more with caplanduval if you are ordering a larger, more expensive oven (and you can bear to wait a while for it to arrive), because the shipping charge is the same ($16.50 to USA) for any single item. If I decide to get the 7qt french oven in the future, then I would try caplanduval. Cutlery&more are still much cheaper for Le Creuset Frying Pans though.

It does pay to shop around and compare prices with shipping.

Paint.

Paint.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Well, for my stews, chili, beans, soups and such that I'm going to cook on the stovetop the shape isn't very important.

But, for things things that are going into the oven for slow cooking that are longer than they are wide; like chicken, duck, rolled roast - the oval shape kind of fits the shape of the food. It allows more even spacing between the food and the sides of the pot for more even heat distribution.

At least - that's the way I figure it.
Michael:

I guess I cook more round stuff than you. Makes sense, it matches the shape of my waistline.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #17
Master Chef

I have gotten a few obscenely great deals on discontinued/cosmetic 2nd pieces at the Le Creuset outlet in the Wrentham (MA) outlet mall.

They practically gave some of the stuff away.

There are maybe 20 outlets around the US.

Also, people have said that occassionally TJ MAxx will have unbelievably good deals on LC.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:49 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

The Wrentham Outlet store is where I got my 7-quart.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:16 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I like the 3 qt braiser. great as a saute on top of the range, but also fine as a smallish caserole in the oven. a fine starter piece. If you llike it, them dish out the bucks for the 7 qt. I like round for stove top and oval for oven. If I want one piece only I would go round. But if you are like me, and have more cookware than burners and ovens (LOL) buy whatever is on sale and keep on going from there.

Personally I don't like the phenolic (plastic) knobs that LeCruset uses. I have recipes that use 425* etc and want my cookware to be versatile. Lodge has metal handles as do some of the other less well advertised brands. Shop around.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:46 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
Personally I don't like the phenolic (plastic) knobs that LeCruset uses. I have recipes that use 425* etc and want my cookware to be versatile. Lodge has metal handles as do some of the other less well advertised brands. Shop around.
I've never been a fan of LeCruset's plastic knobs, either. My favorite brand of the enameled cast iron would have to be Staub ( http://www.staubusa.com ). With their metal knobs, you can go up to 600-F.

LeCruset has a white interior - Staub has a black interior.

Staub, like LeCruset, is not cheap - and prices really can vary depending on there you get it. QVC ( www.qvc.com ) shopping network is a good place for some good prices ... but the selection comes and goes and is generally very limited in quantity and color selections. Right now they only have the 5-qt round french oven - but it's only $50! Another site I found offers a slightly different design of the same Staub 5-qt round pot for $190!!!