Best vessel for steaming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Suthseaxa

Senior Cook
I am trying to perfect the method of a Persian tahdig, steamed rice with a crispy base. I used to make it in a teflon saucepan, but then I reasoned that having effectively dry teflon on the heat for a long time is not good.

So I moved over to a type of ceramic saucepan, but it seems that the oil used in making the base formed a sticky layer over the base of the pot (which I cannot get rid of, no matter how much I try :( )

Now I've gone back to stainless steel: I burnt it the first time (cooked faaar too long). The next time I used more oil. Then the crust was too oily. However, I have noticed that the bottom of the pot does not stick as much now, which leads me to....

...can I season stainless steel? I feel like I've inadvertently done so.

I also have another teflon saucepan with a heavier base. Having this on the heat for a while may be better, but do I run the risk of ruining the coating again?

Fine Cooking magazine just did an article on tahdig a couple months ago. They recommended a heavy dutch oven, and didn't specify non-stick. Non-stick would probably reduce browning, which is counter-prodictive to the recipe.

Here's the article:
Persian Saffron Rice

I have recently had a reply from an owner of a Persian cooking site who told me this:

"Making a successful tahdig in a stainless steel pot is very tricky. Although not impossible. However, I wouldn't recommend it. Not only is it hard to turn out a good tahdig, but can damage your pot, as well.

I like to use a well seasoned cast iron pan, or a non-stick pot. I also make rice and tahdig in my cast enamel Dutch oven style pots, like Le Creuset. But, cast enamel can be temperamental when it comes to tahdig, too.

A couple of tips: 1- Grease the bottom well (sounds like you're already doing this). Use a combination of butter and oil. 2- Use a heat diffuser. 3- When ready to serve fill your sink with a small amount of cold water, or wet a kitchen towel, place pot in sink (or on wet towel) for about a minute. This should help with the release of the tahdig. "

Many of those on youtube also use non-stick pots. I'm just afraid of making my non-stick...stick!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom