"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 08-11-2003, 12:22 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Best woks?

Hi all. Can anyone recommend a really good wok please, one that will last a long time? Thanks!

Old 08-11-2003, 11:25 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Well....... The good woks really don't cost that much. I bought mine at my local Asian market for around $22.00. Here's what to look for though -
- a handle on both sides (mine has one long handle and then a small one to help moving it around.

- one with a lid is always nice (I don't have that)

- and one with some of the gadgets like the screen that fits on the side to put the cooked food on such as tempura

- you want a gold strainer and a long-handled wooden spoon

Does anyone have anything else to add??

Be sure a take proper care of it and it will last. When you do wash it be sure and dry it thoroughly (really, really thoroughly) and coat sparingly with some oil.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 07:03 AM   #3
Executive Chef

You forgot to add that he should get a Wok made out of Carbon Steel
Old 08-12-2003, 12:03 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Oops, I did forget that - thanks ironchef.

I also forgot to mention to get a traditional shape i.e., round bottom, not the ones with a small flat surface on the bottom.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I would disagree about the shape, unless the user has a commercial stove that puts out a lot of heat. The round bottom traditional woks are designed to be used over a different type of heat source than a US stove. They are made for massive amounts of heat which you will not get from a US home stove.

I would recommend the flat bottom style because this will give you more contact with the flame or heating element (just like a regular fry pan) and will help you get as much heat as possible into the wok.

Next time you go to a Chinese restaurant, ask if you can take a peek in the kitchen. You will see the wok burners they use. Flames will be shooting out all over the place. They are seriously intense!
Old 07-19-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Re: Best woks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocks2
Hi all. Can anyone recommend a really good wok please, one that will last a long time? Thanks!
here is your answer
check this link www.linkremoved
Old 09-09-2004, 12:51 AM   #7
Master Chef

The sad truth is - American home stoves are not hot enough to use a "real" carbon steel wok on. And, the "woks" you can generally find are a waste of money. Check out: http://www.americastestkitchen.com and do a search on "wok" and read the 3 reviews.

I have used a wok on a wood fire - cooked totally differently than on an electric or gas stove. Arrghhh!!!
Old 09-09-2004, 07:08 PM   #8
Sous Chef

The cheaper the better.

In the case of woks, the cheapest are definitely the best. Regular old carbon steel woks are always what's used in commercial Chinese kitchens.

As others have suggested, you may do well to find a flat bottomed wok. These work particularly well on electric burners.

Contrary to what they show on the infomercials, you do not want to use a round bottomed wok on an electric burner. Electric burners are designed to work with a pan in direct contact with the burner. Without that direct contact, many burners will overheat and will prematurely fail.

When it comes to smaller woks, I prefer the single handled woks. They're a lot easier to handle than the woks with two D-ring handles. That's just my personal preference.

When you cook, never put food in it until the wok starts to smoke and never overload the wok otherwise, instead of stir frying, you'll be stir STEAMING. The normal kitchen doesn't have a 100,000+ btu burner like a chinese restaurant has or a wood fired cooker like the old chinese home kitchens had. The typical home range has little over 1/10th the ideal wok heat. Most homes have burners with 12,000 to perhaps 15,000 btus. So, you can see you'll need more preheating time and reduced ingredient quantitites to keep from cooling the wok too much.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:01 PM   #9
Sous Chef

:D Hi....

I bought one last X-Mas from Le Cruset. It is made of the same material as all their other stuff, with the 2 handles, a lid, and a small flat bottom so it sits on the grates of my stove. I got it for 114.00 at an outlet store near me. Becase it is made of enamal coated cast iron it holds the heat great and the lifetime warranty is nice too. Plus, it has what appears to be a non-stick cooking surface {which is bad for a wok} but it isn't, however it cleans up like it is non-stick. I hold firm in my belief to buy the best that you can afford to avoid repurchasing in the future.
Old 09-09-2004, 08:05 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
i have a commerical chinese kitchen at my house it was built by my dad and everything was bought in asia during vacation then brought to america. yes flames do shoot out i got burned. my mom got burned a couple times already.

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote