Bought new cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LizStreithorst

Senior Cook
I've had this cheap teflon coated **** for years...back when cooking was an evil I tried to avoid. Except for the junk I have one skillet that is good. It's hard anodized made by Grand Gourmet. I have one good pot which is triple-ply clad SS made by tramontina. I also have a good pot that used to be a pressure cooker and one of the Bakelite handles broke. It's a good deep pot but it's all aluminum so I can't cook anything reactive in it.

I didn't ask y'alls opinion first but I read around here and everyone says Stainless. I also did a ton of research elsewhere. I ended up going with this. Not only is the quality good, it comes with a steamer basket made for it!!!!

I know that what I bought is not the best but not being made of money I had to study on it and decide what is best for me. I hope y'all approve of my choice. Amazon.com: Tramontina 12-Piece Gourmet Tri-Ply Base Cookware Set, Stainless Steel: Multipots: Home & Kitchen

So, it is clear the Tramontina was a good choice, in the correct price range and great performance for an at-home-cook.

I didn't see that review while I was researching. I did see something from a metallurgist who said that all-clad wasn't worth the difference in price between it the triple-ply. I know that these are slightly less excellent than all clad. These will be perfect for me.

I didn't see that review while I was researching. I did see something from a metallurgist who said that all-clad wasn't worth the difference in price between it the triple-ply. I know that these are slightly less excellent than all clad. These will be perfect for me.

And that is all that matters. Good luck on an excellent choice. And as Jacques is wont to say, "Happy Cooking! :angel:

Tramontina is supposed to be a good brand. I was looking at a Tramontina set that was lots higher in price and I couldn't afford it, so I finally settled on getting a stainless steel Kirkland set from Costco that was the cheapest I had ever seen, and it still cost $170.

So naturally, I checked Craig's List right before I ordered it and saw someone had posted some 40 year old copper pots for practically the same price and I got those instead. I love copper (not so much anymore since I've had to polish them), but these had stainless steel on the inside and I just love the stainless steel. One thing I heard was you need to let the pan get hot first, then put in the oil and let that get hot before you put in the food. Then if you're putting in any meat or anything, you let it cook for about 5 minutes until it will let go of the pan so you can flip it (the meat, not the pan).

The only thing that still sticks to my pans is when I make scrambled eggs. Otherwise, nothing sticks when I use a little olive oil and if something does leave something behind, I either put some hot water in the pan when I'm done cooking or let the pan soak for a couple minutes after it's cooled down. On the really stubborn stuff, I just use a wire scourer. I have yet to actually use any muscle in getting my pots and pans clean.

If I'm doing anything wrong here, please, you guys, speak up and let me know.

Last edited:
These were shipped but never arrived. My money was refunded. I'm wondering if it was not meant to be for a good reason and I should buy something else or if I should reorder the same set.

Who shipped them? Have you checked with the company?

I ordered some canisters on eBay that were shipped UPS about a year ago. When they didn't arrive, I called UPS. For some weird reason, they said they couldn't find my address (even though they had delivered stuff to me before), so they - get this - looked up my old address where I hadn't lived for four years and delivered the canisters there. It gets better. I went over to my old address and the person living there had opened the box and my canisters were sitting out on the porch. From the look of things, she was going to plant in them.

Things happen and it sure doesn't hurt to do as much follow up as you can.

And yes, I got my canisters back. I knocked on the door a couple times and when I got no response, I simply picked them up and took them. Of course, I told the landlord what I had done before I left.

Last edited:
That's not good. Well at least you got your money refunded. Did you track the shipment?

Yes. My Smokey Joe and the cookware were shipped at the same time and were supposed to arrive the same day. The Smokey Joe arrived. It said that the cookware was on the truck for delivery but it never showed up. Perhaps the truck driver's wife is enjoying it.

I had no problem getting the company to refund my money.

I bought the 8 piece. I learned from a video that Tenspeed posted about pressure cookers that this set is higher quality that the set that didn't arrive. It's because the base on these is the same diameter as the sides of the pot. The set that didn't arrive had a smaller base and outward slanting sides. Big money is in the base. Having the same diameter base and sides makes for more equal heating.

I'm having it shipped (free) rather than picking it up. I despise going to Walmart.

Thanks, Andy.

Back
Top Bottom