"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Bought new cookware

I've had this cheap teflon coated **** for years...back when cooking was an evil I tried to avoid. Except for the junk I have one skillet that is good. It's hard anodized made by Grand Gourmet. I have one good pot which is triple-ply clad SS made by tramontina. I also have a good pot that used to be a pressure cooker and one of the Bakelite handles broke. It's a good deep pot but it's all aluminum so I can't cook anything reactive in it.

I didn't ask y'alls opinion first but I read around here and everyone says Stainless. I also did a ton of research elsewhere. I ended up going with this. Not only is the quality good, it comes with a steamer basket made for it!!!!

I know that what I bought is not the best but not being made of money I had to study on it and decide what is best for me. I hope y'all approve of my choice. Amazon.com: Tramontina 12-Piece Gourmet Tri-Ply Base Cookware Set, Stainless Steel: Multipots: Home & Kitchen

Old 04-17-2016, 04:32 PM   #2
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Looks like you got a good set of cookware. I think you made a good choice!

Old 04-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Looks like you got a good set of cookware. I think you made a good choice!
Thanks. I thought that I did right but validation that I made a good choice is a great relief.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
Sous Chef

Here's seriouseats opinion of what you just purchased.......

Equipment: The All-Clad vs. Tramontina Skillet Showdown | Serious Eats
Old 04-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

So, it is clear the Tramontina was a good choice, in the correct price range and great performance for an at-home-cook.
Old 04-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #6
Senior Cook

I didn't see that review while I was researching. I did see something from a metallurgist who said that all-clad wasn't worth the difference in price between it the triple-ply. I know that these are slightly less excellent than all clad. These will be perfect for me.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:09 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I didn't see that review while I was researching. I did see something from a metallurgist who said that all-clad wasn't worth the difference in price between it the triple-ply. I know that these are slightly less excellent than all clad. These will be perfect for me.
And that is all that matters. Good luck on an excellent choice. And as Jacques is wont to say, "Happy Cooking!
Old 04-17-2016, 08:08 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Here's seriouseats opinion of what you just purchased.......

Equipment: The All-Clad vs. Tramontina Skillet Showdown | Serious Eats
The pan in the linked test is not the same as what Liz bought. The tested skillet is try-ply throughout while Liz's pan has a try-ply disk on the bottom.

That said, the set looks very nice and will do a good job for many years.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:47 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Tramontina is supposed to be a good brand. I was looking at a Tramontina set that was lots higher in price and I couldn't afford it, so I finally settled on getting a stainless steel Kirkland set from Costco that was the cheapest I had ever seen, and it still cost $170.

So naturally, I checked Craig's List right before I ordered it and saw someone had posted some 40 year old copper pots for practically the same price and I got those instead. I love copper (not so much anymore since I've had to polish them), but these had stainless steel on the inside and I just love the stainless steel. One thing I heard was you need to let the pan get hot first, then put in the oil and let that get hot before you put in the food. Then if you're putting in any meat or anything, you let it cook for about 5 minutes until it will let go of the pan so you can flip it (the meat, not the pan).

The only thing that still sticks to my pans is when I make scrambled eggs. Otherwise, nothing sticks when I use a little olive oil and if something does leave something behind, I either put some hot water in the pan when I'm done cooking or let the pan soak for a couple minutes after it's cooled down. On the really stubborn stuff, I just use a wire scourer. I have yet to actually use any muscle in getting my pots and pans clean.

If I'm doing anything wrong here, please, you guys, speak up and let me know.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:35 PM   #10
Senior Cook

These were shipped but never arrived. My money was refunded. I'm wondering if it was not meant to be for a good reason and I should buy something else or if I should reorder the same set.

Tags
cook, cookware