"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
That's awefully dumb...what kind of "premium" pots require you to use a special cleaning routine after every use?

I don't use it EVERYTIME I cook with my pans. Only when something sticks badly and is hard to clean with a sponge and soap.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:25 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post

I don't use it EVERYTIME I cook with my pans. Only when something sticks badly and is hard to clean with a sponge and soap.
co-sign.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

That's funny. It seems after a couple of more uses, those marks disappeared. Do the pots have to "burn-in"?
Old 03-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

Seems i must aquire some BKF. I just burned some stuff in new a SS Calphaleon TriPly pan. tried to do some brats, oiled the pan, dropped in the brats and some Imperial Stout beer... instaburn! Ooops.... ahhwell. lettin it soak so it doesn't harden fully, if it clears up easy tomorrow (dawn in there as well) i'll grab some BKF and hit it.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 AM   #15
Sous Chef

BKF really does an amazing job. I am tough on my pots and pans especially my skillets. BKF alawys brings back the shine and gets off the char.

I also buy much of my cookware 2nd hand at fleamarkets and the like and rely on BKF to remove other people's greazy residue. I am amazed at how easily it cleans them up. For me it works way better than steel wool soap pads. I hate to plug a product but in this case there is no substitute.

even with the miracles of BKF your pots and pans will show wear though. They are tools and if you use them heavily it will show. If you have a set of all clad or other fancy cookware and it looks totally perfect you either spend alot of time polishing or you arent using it enough.

One of the reasons I prefer to buy used (beyond cost) is that it feels less precious to me and I dont fear banging it up or marking it. It is always harder for me to use a new thing for fear of ruining it.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #16
Executive Chef

BKF is a great product for stainless, copper, anodized aluminum, whatever. It doesn't scratch, and it polishes nicely. PLus, it's cheap. You don't have to have nice looking pots to cook. Most restaurants have beat up looking cookware. However, I spent good money on my high end gear and I do like it to look nice as well. SO I clean it after every use. As BKF polishes it at the same time, I use that. NBD
Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #17
Executive Chef

A note to those who care:

metals react to heat and salt: copper and stainless can/will change color, iron and stainless can be pitted by salt. minerals in your water including salts if you are using a water softener system will affect your cookware. greasy film or residue will burn on your pots, especially around the handles. You want this "seasoning' on cast iron, carbon steel, and unpolished plain aluminum. You don't want it on polished, anodized, or stainless or enameled pots.

Even if your stainless pots and pans say dishwasher safe, eventually the alkali detergents and high heat of drying will cause some discoloring. I know folks who put everything in the dishwasher and let it rip. Personally I like to give my pots and pans personal attention. There are lots of great brands out there with all different characteristics. You should buy pots and pans not just for the way you cook, but also for the way you clean.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #18
Sous Chef

hey robo I wasn't trying to say not to polish your pots just that I dont get it when people freak out with "I used my new cookware and now it appears used" thing. Of course it looks used you used it! My stuff is battered but its CLEAN. I shine them up regularly with BKF I am lucky if others in my house wash em ... Fortunatley they prefer the crusty non stick Ikea pan... eew I leave that for them.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:15 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Are you saying that solid salt sitting on the bottom can eat away at the stainless steel? ...Maybe thin the layer and eventually get to the alluminum core? I don't think I did this. But if I did, it sure disolved after a short while.
The best way to add salt to a pot is after the water begins to boil. This way the salt will dissolve rapidly and do less damage to your pot.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
That's awefully dumb...what kind of "premium" pots require you to use a special cleaning routine after every use?

I also clean and shine my Emerilware SS cookware set (also made by All-Clad). It might not sound sensible to you, but trust me, it helps and works very well.

What happens is that when I cook starchy foods such as hot cereal, rice, potatos or rissuotto, a thin white film is left inside the pans. Regular washing
will NOT get it out.

I use Wright's Copper Cream to help remove that thin film as well as to shine up the copper bands & exteriors of the pots. All that stuff comes right off!