"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-23-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Angry Burn marks on New All-Clad Stainless

I have a set of new All-Clad stainless and I cooked some soup with it on low heat.
Prior to using, I noticed that there were these “dots” (small pits?) on the inside finish which I thought were just inconsistencies in the surface finish.

But around those dots some burn marks formed. They sort of look like small dark rings of colors surrounding the dots.

At first I thought maybe the aluminum core is exposed at those dots, but looking at the outer rim, it’s definitely not deep enough of a pit to expose the aluminum core. Or is the stainless steel thickness of the interior thinner at the bottom of the pot???

This happened to a second pot I used too. I’m sure I didn’t use high heat. And why are they localized around those dots?

Thanks for any input!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:00 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I have Calphalon and All-Clad ss cookware and sometimes they display odd discolorations after I use them. Try making a paste out of BarKeepers Friend and put it on the pan for a couple of minutes and then scrub the pan. It should come out looking like new. Hope this helps and welcome to DC!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Welcome to DC.

I have the same SS cookware and have had no such problems. Just guessing here. Was the set a discounted seconds set?

Could you have added salt to a cold pot with liquid in it? Salt can sometimes cause surface pitting. Is the pot easily cleaned with a scouring powder such as Barkeeper's Friend?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:22 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Yup, I third BarKeepers friend. I have a full set of All Clad SS and it's my best friend to keep them looking shiney and new!
Old 01-24-2008, 05:39 AM   #5
Master Chef

Since you have a set of new All-Clad ... I would call that customer service phone number on the warranty card that came with the cookware and talk to them about it. Doesn't mean you'll get a good answer - but maybe you will get a replacement.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkitty View Post
Yup, I third BarKeepers friend. I have a full set of All Clad SS and it's my best friend to keep them looking shiney and new!
That's awefully dumb...what kind of "premium" pots require you to use a special cleaning routine after every use?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Welcome to DC.

I have the same SS cookware and have had no such problems. Just guessing here. Was the set a discounted seconds set?

Could you have added salt to a cold pot with liquid in it? Salt can sometimes cause surface pitting. Is the pot easily cleaned with a scouring powder such as Barkeeper's Friend?
I got them at Macy's Department store. They are supposed to be pretty good. It's brand new.

Are you saying that solid salt sitting on the bottom can eat away at the stainless steel? ...Maybe thin the layer and eventually get to the alluminum core? I don't think I did this. But if I did, it sure disolved after a short while.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
That's awefully dumb...what kind of "premium" pots require you to use a special cleaning routine after every use?
They don't require a special cleaning unless ther is a user error.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmasyean View Post
I got them at Macy's Department store. They are supposed to be pretty good. It's brand new.

Are you saying that solid salt sitting on the bottom can eat away at the stainless steel? ...Maybe thin the layer and eventually get to the alluminum core? I don't think I did this. But if I did, it sure disolved after a short while.

Don't worry about exposing the aluminum core. That's not going to happen. If you add salt to cold water and let it sit in the pot before starting to cook, the alt can cause monor spots on the SS. Basically only cosmetic, not t concern.

All-Clad is excellent quality stuff. I second the recommendation to call the customer service number and talk to an expert.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

OK, I'll try the customer service. Hopefully they are not from India and read off a list to me. I was hoping for a "scientific" explaination too so maybe they might be able to give it to me....doubt it. I'll have to give Altin Brown a call for this I guess. lol