Burned revere pot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jdwhitesel

Assistant Cook
Has anyone ever burned the inside of a revere pot? I sprayed mine with a cooking spray and let it get too hot. The inside bottom is completely black. I am curious if there is a product that will restore it.

my mom did once. cleanser, revere copper stainless cleanser, salt and vinegar, etc all will help. your stainless may always show some discoloration.

hopefully one of the chemists here will give us the secret potion.

If it is the interior, it is stainless steel. Barkeepers friend would help, also try cooper wool or steel wool and a GREAT DEAL of elbow grease. At your local home center they shoudl sell a product that is designed to get burned on stuff off of stainless. I forget what it is called but it is an aerosol.

I burned my LeCreuset enameled cast iron oval roaster. Same thing, I dribbled in some EVOO and walked away. Soon, the EVOO left a very stubborn burn on the bottom. Still trying to get it off. Worried about the enamel if I scrub too hard...

Any ideas?:huh:

If the black is from the spray coating, ammonia or steel wool will remove it fairly well.

If, however, the discoloration is from actually overheating the stainless steel, the dark color is often "all the way through", and is permanent. But, being optimistic, it may just be surface oxidation. If so, try 100 or finer grit emery cloth. If you see a silvery color, then continue, using ever finer grades of emery cloth grit to give a clean, smooth luster when finished.

For the external copper, half a lemon used to scrub table salt on the surface works pretty darned well. Actually, any acid - except hydrochloric! (aka muriatic or "swimming pool acid" - it will permanently stain both stainless steel and chrome.)

JimS said:
I burned my LeCreuset enameled cast iron oval roaster. Same thing, I dribbled in some EVOO and walked away. Soon, the EVOO left a very stubborn burn on the bottom. Still trying to get it off. Worried about the enamel if I scrub too hard...

Any ideas?:huh:

Try spray-on oven cleaner and leave it on for an hour or two. it won't harm the enamel and should get the burnt food off (I've used it on my Le Creuset before with no harmful effects). However, if you've already managed to get all the burnt food off and this is an actual discolouration of the enamel you are talking about, then there might not be much you can do about it...except take heart that 'stains' won't affect the performance of the pan :)

Paint.

I've used bar keepers friend and it works great, so I strongly recommend it. Really cheap too!

Back
Top Bottom