"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Emile Henry is pretty nice.
Oops, that is what I meant, not Henrey Emil.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
That said: do you want to put it in the dishwasher?
I know many here (and elsewhere) wash their cookware in the dishwasher. However, after having consulted for two unrelated cookware companies, NEITHER of which recommend dishwasher cleaning, I have to suggest that if one hopes to keep a set (or a group) of pots and pans for a "lifetime," that those pieces never see the inside of a dishwasher.

Restaurant quality aluminum cookware is the exception to this. It's made to literally "take a licking and keep on ticking."

Old 04-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

I almost never put mine in the dishwasher, but I do not see how putting a piece of AllClad or Le Cruset in the dishwasher is going to do any harm at all.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #14
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I almost never put mine in the dishwasher, but I do not see how putting a piece of AllClad or Le Cruset in the dishwasher is going to do any harm at all.
maybe not, but it surely isn't recommended by the manufacturer. and not covered by warranty if anything happens during that procedure.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
Chief Eating Officer

You may want to recheck your information. While Les Cruset does not recommend using a dishwasher they do say the pieces are dishwasher safe, however this is from the AllClad site (bolding is mine for emphasis).

Quote:
The polished stainless steel exterior of All-Clad Stainless requires very little care. It may be polished with one of the available commercial stainless steel cleaners, rubbing in a circular motion. Rinse in lukewarm water. We do not recommend using steel wool, steel scouring pads or harsh detergents. Nylon scrubbing pads are safe to use. You may wash Stainless in the dishwasher.
This will not void the warranty.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:46 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Most of my cookware is tri-ply SS. Some of that is All-Clad SS which I occasionally put in the DW. The A-C website specifically states two of their lines are DW safe. I have assumed that same safety level for the other brands of tri-ply SS I own and have had no problems in the ten years I have been using them.

I don't put my two restaurant supply aluminum skillets in the DW because DW soaps contain an ingredient that discolors raw aluminum.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
The polished stainless steel exterior of All-Clad Stainless requires very little care. It may be polished with one of the available commercial stainless steel cleaners, rubbing in a circular motion. Rinse in lukewarm water. We do not recommend using steel wool, steel scouring pads or harsh detergents. Nylon scrubbing pads are safe to use. You may wash Stainless in the dishwasher.

I do not think the exterior is the main focus of concern. Considering I've seen pitting occur on glassware subjected to long term repeated washing in a dishwasher, and as noted by MAC, stainless steel can suffer cosmetically from repeated cleaning in a dishwasher.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Maybe not, but putting it in the dishwasher does not just wash the exterior and I am pretty sure AC knows that and took that into consideration when they stated that their product is dishwasher safe and does not void the warranty. Also, cosmetic damage is not the same as what Chef June was mentioning when she said
Quote:
if one hopes to keep a set (or a group) of pots and pans for a "lifetime," that those pieces never see the inside of a dishwasher.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

The best material for cookware is no doubt stainless steel, it cooks fast and with no trouble. The best place to buy this cookware for a good price is best-cookware-set.com. Their Cuisinox sets are of the best quality and most with no shipping cost which can help.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:53 PM   #20
Chief Eating Officer

The site you listed just seems to be a search site. Unless I am mistaken, they do not sell anything. They link you to other sites that sell.

What makes you say SS is the "best material no doubt"? While I agree that it is excellent for many application there are also plenty of applications where other materials work far better. I can get a much better crust on my steak using cast iron than I can with SS. I would much rather cook eggs in CI or non-stick than SS. SS is great, but I would hardly say it is the best material no doubt.