"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware
Old 12-04-2006, 05:41 PM   #11
Head Chef
Hello and welcome to DC. Definitely go with the Stainless Steel and have non stick bottoms. That is a great gift for your wife.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have the Le Gourmet Chef equivalent of all-clad, and the set came with an 8-inch stainless fry pan. One of the additions i made was the teflon coated version of the same fry pan, for times when I need non-stick. Of course, I also have a complete set of stainless untesils AND a complete set of nylon utensils.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:15 AM   #13
Assistant Cook
You will love the All Clad set, I bought the 10 pieces LTD set from Macy when they have the friend and family discount and very happy with it.
jc9394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:58 AM   #14
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I prefer the Le Gourmet Chef tri-ply. Same as All-Clad, but at 1/3 the price because, every time I buy another piece, I am not paying for the free one they give to Emeril LaGasse or Martha Stewart.
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:16 AM   #15
Sous Chef
The LTD series is probably my first choice. I went with the un-anodized aluminum exterior of the MC2 series because they were on sale. Had they not been, I would have grabbed the LTD series.
Nick ~ "Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon meringue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators." - MacGyver
Nicholas Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:27 AM   #16
Master Chef

Discount All Clad
Less is not more. More is more and more is fabulous.
jennyema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:06 AM   #17
Executive Chef
get the stainless. you can get much less expensive non stick pans that work fine and can be tossed when no longer non stick due to scratches or repeated heating. Don't set yourself up to toss a $150 pan!
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer
There is no need to toss a quality non stick pan. They do not scratch the way they used to and there is a word of difference between a cheapo non stick pan that is light as a feather vs. a quality non stick pan that has weight and mass to it.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:17 AM   #19
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to JDP
Check out an ealier post on SS pans and you will find a number of great comments made on a variety of brands of pans. I would also suggest putting together your own set instead of buying a prepackaged one. There always seems to be a usless pan or two in all the sets I've seen. I did this with the Calphlon One collection of pans I have and it worked out much better. I also saved about $250 doing buy shopping at stores like TJ Maxx and Marshalls buying seconds with very little scratches on the outsides of the pan. I also bought a few off EBAY.
JDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by f_aaberg
Thank you all for helping me out here. I did a littler more research and found that Cuisinart sells the MultiClad Pro set that others seem to like. There is nowhere within 100 miles that has a display of the stuff to show her. I guess it is basically is an internet item for the company. I'm not sure if I like the brushed SS on the outside anyways.

So I showed my wife yesterday what I was up to - no surprises here - I want her to get something she wants. In the end, she saw the AllClad and liked it. I asked her what sizes she would like of each pot/pan and it appears the 14 piece set is the one that will do the job better (most items larger in the set). Looks like I'll go that route. The 14 piece set over the 9 piece will be a surprise! Much, much more money then I wanted to spend - but she's worth it. Besides, we have five kids and they will have something to fight over when we're gone.

Thanks again to all for your input and have a great Christmas!

Excellent choice...You're a saint! Can my husband take lessons?

Flourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote