Buying new cookware..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do you have a factual basis for this claim?

for this particular item? no. in general? yes. The metalurgical purity standards of the USA and Canada are much higher than most Asian countries, China and India included. The processes for bonding metals under high heat and pressure were patented in Belgium and the USA over 20 years ago. Companies that use them are few, (AllClad and Falk) Bonding pure metals is not an Alloy process. So what is being mixed together elsewhere may or may not be regulated. There have been issues with poor enameling (flaking chipping) and disc bottoms popping off as well as buckling in "bonded" metals in products made for considerably less money in Asia. Lead, a soft metal, easily maniputated is not allowed in food service markets in the US Canada Europe etc, but has been found in metalic products manufactured in China in the last 10 years.

for this particular item? no. in general? yes.

Meaning it may have no relevance at all to this product or many others.

The metalurgical purity standards of the USA and Canada are much higher than most Asian countries, China and India included.

...and many American companies dictate manufacturing standards for their products where ever they are made.

The processes for bonding metals under high heat and pressure were patented in Belgium and the USA over 20 years ago. Companies that use them are few,

This process can be licensed to any manufacturer willing to pay a license fee,

There have been issues with poor enameling (flaking chipping) and disc bottoms popping off as well as buckling in "bonded" metals in products made for considerably less money in Asia. Lead, a soft metal, easily maniputated is not allowed in food service markets in the US Canada Europe etc, but has been found in metalic products manufactured in China in the last 10 years.

I really don't want to be in the position of defending Chinese products and processes but this post is filled with a lot of speculation and unrelated statements.

Chinese products have been in the news for quality and contamination issues and I am not excusing that in any way.

Robo, your post seems to be trying to build a case against foreign made products using scare tactics.

I gave my opinion right after the question was asked, but I have to add one last comment.
I didn't think it would be fair to say anything else about because I really don't know if the quality of the Tramontina cookware sold at Walmart is the same as the one I have.
I've known Tramontina as one that always sold quality products, I even asked my mother (called her in Brazil) and she said she still has pots and pans from fourty years ago, Tramontina is a brazilian company, and I know being a brazilian, that Tramontina is one of the favorite brands there because of good quality.
Like I mentioned before I cannot say anything else about the product sold at Walmart because I bought my cookware set in Brazil, I am completely satisfied with the product, the set I have looks just like the one at Walmart. I don't know where those pots where made or what's the metal composition of each one, but the handles are bolted just like in mine, and I also think it is very important to mention, the pots are made in just one piece, I mean, some will have discs underneath that can separate with time (it happened to me before).
My husband and I always research very well before making any purchase, big or small, nobody wants to keep spending money on things like a cookware set.
I hope you will be happy with your choice as I am with mine!

If you do have problems in the comming years with Tramotina you can buy a whole new set for the price you would pay for one All-Clad pan. As I stated before I have had Tramontina pans with just a heavy bottom for over thirteen years and the're still going strong.

...Tramontina is a brazilian company, and I know being a brazilian, that Tramontina is one of the favorite brands there because of good quality...

you should have started with this. would have told you long ago that tranmotina sold in Wall Mart and Sam's club is a chinese made.

Nw to those who are telling me about the price. Just look at this link:

Cookware - Kitchen - Macy's

Not my intention to use scare tactics; nor was I planning to cite chapter and verse in a proof paper here. But I do write from personal experience. I have bought my share of "bargains" over the years. I have been "ripped off" by chef names on pans. I have also bought many an inexpensive item that has proven to be top quality and very durable. To each his/her own. And I certainly added the caveat, "do you need a pan to last into the next millennia?" If not, then a top brand expensive pan is not worth it. ex: I never buy a fancy non stick pan. I buy a quality restaurant pan for about $20. When it stops non sticking I toss it. Not going to have that happen to a $200 pan!

I didn't even bother to check where the set at Walmart was from, I wasn't looking as a buyer. I agree that pots and pans don't have to last a lifetime, when nothing else does. I think the cookware set at Walmart looks great and it is absurd to pay $200.00 for one pan when you can purchase a whole set for less than that. Thank you!

Who's talking about $200? There is a set in Macy's on sale 12 pieces for $139 bucks, life time gurantee.

I woul never pay $200 for a pot. At that price it should make diner by it self.

Try going to a place like TJ Maxx or Tuesday Morning and hunting for bargain allclad! Our local store has dozens of pans on the shelf and none are more than $25. You can always add more pieces as you find them on sale.

This could be a very nice set. It's different from what you were interested in your original post. The Tramontina is a tri-ply construction. That is, the entire body of the pan, from bottom up to the rim is made of two layers of SS with a layer of Alum. in between.

The Belgique is a single layer of SS pot with a disk on the bottom that has aluminum encased in SS.

There is a difference, especially if you use a gas stove.

Yeah I looked at this set, and compared it to the Wal Mart set, and a couple others. I have an electric stove... So is this set not a tri-ply construction? What is the difference between this set and the others?

I tried to explain that in my last post. I'll try again.

When you see tri-ply construction, it means the pan has three layers of metal. Usually that's a layer on aluminum sandwiched between two layers of stainless. The entire body of the pot or pan is stamped out of the tri-ply sandwich. Only the lid and handle are not tri-ply.

The Belgique isn't like that. The entire body of the pot is a single layer of stainless. Then they make a tri-ply disk out of stainless with aluminum in the center and attach it to the bottom.

The tri-ply will heat more evenly with no hot spots.

I see. I understand now..I liked that this set had the silicone handels.. It looks prettier and comes with more. I dunno, we'll see. I'm trying to learn about all the different kinds!

I found somethng interesting a couple of weeks ago. We bought the Emeril stainless about four years ago. I don't like buying a signiture line, but quanity, quality, and price were right so we bought two sets, ( that's another story ) While shopping the other day, thay had many sets on display and I picked up one of what I thought was the same as mine. But to my surprise, it was lighter. All of the pans in the Emeril set were lighter than what we bought. My first thought was "cheaper". I don't know if they are the same set we bought, but they are certainly not as heavey as what we have. So had I recommended the set I bought, it wouldn't have been the same. Just saying you have to compare apples to apples. Good luck, I hope you'll be happy.

Unfortunatelly it is true for my set of pots too. It seems that nowadays manufacturers are trying to make everything thiner, thus save money on the material. And the pots that are in fact thicker are way more expensive.

I am so mad I just saw this thread because it looks like you already decided on a brand. However, in case you still have an open mind, I would check out OXO. I use all of their kitchen products and love them. They are so easy to use and last a really long time. And, lucky for you, they are having a contest right now where you can win $1000 worth of their products just by submitting a video of yourself demoing your fave kitchen tool. This way, you can save the Christmas gift for something else! haha The website is www.oxocontest.com in case you are interested :)

the disc bottom pots can be ok on the stove top but heat unevenly in the oven. THe silicon handles limit the oven use also. It says safe to 350. What if your recipe is for 375 or 425?

How you cook will determine what your needs are in a set of pots.

Have to chime in again for the Costco Kirkland Signature 13 piece Tri Ply set.

I've had this set now for a few weeks. Cooks really nice and even. Cleans up great. Am very pleased with the set. The assortment of pieces are useful. I bought mine at the store for $199.00, but I see it is available now on their website for $219.00.

Carol

Back
Top Bottom