"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 11-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #31
Sous Chef

I made my decision!!!

Hey guys! I made my decision on this set:

Tools of the Trade Belgique Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set - VETERAN'S DAY SALE Cookware - Kitchen - Macy's

What do you guys think? I'm soooo excited!!!

Old 11-07-2009, 09:09 PM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

This could be a very nice set. It's different from what you were interested in your original post. The Tramontina is a tri-ply construction. That is, the entire body of the pan, from bottom up to the rim is made of two layers of SS with a layer of Alum. in between.

The Belgique is a single layer of SS pot with a disk on the bottom that has aluminum encased in SS.

There is a difference, especially if you use a gas stove.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Yeah I looked at this set, and compared it to the Wal Mart set, and a couple others. I have an electric stove... So is this set not a tri-ply construction? What is the difference between this set and the others?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

I tried to explain that in my last post. I'll try again.

When you see tri-ply construction, it means the pan has three layers of metal. Usually that's a layer on aluminum sandwiched between two layers of stainless. The entire body of the pot or pan is stamped out of the tri-ply sandwich. Only the lid and handle are not tri-ply.

The Belgique isn't like that. The entire body of the pot is a single layer of stainless. Then they make a tri-ply disk out of stainless with aluminum in the center and attach it to the bottom.

The tri-ply will heat more evenly with no hot spots.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #35
Sous Chef

I see. I understand now..I liked that this set had the silicone handels.. It looks prettier and comes with more. I dunno, we'll see. I'm trying to learn about all the different kinds!
Old 11-08-2009, 12:01 PM   #36
Senior Cook

I found somethng interesting a couple of weeks ago. We bought the Emeril stainless about four years ago. I don't like buying a signiture line, but quanity, quality, and price were right so we bought two sets, ( that's another story ) While shopping the other day, thay had many sets on display and I picked up one of what I thought was the same as mine. But to my surprise, it was lighter. All of the pans in the Emeril set were lighter than what we bought. My first thought was "cheaper". I don't know if they are the same set we bought, but they are certainly not as heavey as what we have. So had I recommended the set I bought, it wouldn't have been the same. Just saying you have to compare apples to apples. Good luck, I hope you'll be happy.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:50 AM   #37
Master Chef

Unfortunatelly it is true for my set of pots too. It seems that nowadays manufacturers are trying to make everything thiner, thus save money on the material. And the pots that are in fact thicker are way more expensive.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:04 PM   #38
Assistant Cook

I am so mad I just saw this thread because it looks like you already decided on a brand. However, in case you still have an open mind, I would check out OXO. I use all of their kitchen products and love them. They are so easy to use and last a really long time. And, lucky for you, they are having a contest right now where you can win $1000 worth of their products just by submitting a video of yourself demoing your fave kitchen tool. This way, you can save the Christmas gift for something else! haha The website is www.oxocontest.com in case you are interested :)
Old 11-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #39
Executive Chef

the disc bottom pots can be ok on the stove top but heat unevenly in the oven. THe silicon handles limit the oven use also. It says safe to 350. What if your recipe is for 375 or 425?

How you cook will determine what your needs are in a set of pots.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:18 PM   #40
Cook

Have to chime in again for the Costco Kirkland Signature 13 piece Tri Ply set.

I've had this set now for a few weeks. Cooks really nice and even. Cleans up great. Am very pleased with the set. The assortment of pieces are useful. I bought mine at the store for $199.00, but I see it is available now on their website for $219.00.

Carol