Buying new cookware..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know! You're all probably so sick of hearing this song.. but i'm getting all new pots and pans for Christmas this year and am trying to figure out what brand to get. I wouldn't call myself an "experienced" cook, but it is something that I love to do. I have never owned a nice pot. Everything I use to cook came from walmart and is 20+ years old. With the exception of a cast iron skillet my mom gave me.
I really like the stainless steel. I cooked at a friends house a long time ago, and she had the prettiest stainless steel pots. I've been reading through the forums and see that sticking is a slight problem with the SS, but read over some tips to help with it. I would like to keep it under $150, and have found a few sets that seem nice. One is:
Tramontina 8-Piece 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware Set for $149 from WalMart.com.

So far, this looks the best, but I would love to hear some advice from the great people here at discusscooking! :chef:

I forgot to ask if you guys think this is going to be a cheap set being from WalMart. I have absolutely NOTHING against WalMart. I love it and buy pretty much everything from there. I just really want to buy a set that I can keep in good condition for many years...

Hi! I didn't buy my cookware at Walmart, although I too, always shop there, but I have Tramontina TriPly-Clad, purchased five years ago. I love all of them! I don't have problems with burning or sticking, everything cooks evenly, it can be taken from stove top to oven anytime. After five years they still look very good (so good that I hang them in my hanging pot rack). To clean I use "Bar Keepers Friend", never wash them in the dishwasher. This maybe a basic point of view, because I am not a professional chef either, but love to cook and do it everyday, I saw that cookware at Walmart and think they look great, I mean, not just pretty, but looks like they could perform just like an AllClad but for a fraction of the price.
P.S. :I have to add that I also have a couple of the AllClad pieces and there is really no difference in performance.

That's a nice set. My only complaint is that the largest piece is 5 quarts. That could be a problem if you want to make a big pot of stew, soup or chili.

For a little extra, Costco has a 13 piece set of the same construction (maybe even made by Tramontina). It's $199.

You could buy the Walmart set and add a larger piece later if you think you need it.

Tramontina makes good stuff. I agree, a bigger main pot would be useful. I have a 6 qt tramontina I use for many things but I also have 12 qts that are very versatile and critical for some things.

his is my advise, and I am bias, I do not like Wall Mart, though we shop there regularly, especially for things like kids close, things that do not have to less for a long time in general are perfect from Wall Mart, because they are cheap, fine call it inexpensive. Macy's has the best stuff all around. Price and quality together, I mean what you get for your money. Tools of trade is very good brand and not too expensive. Go to Macy's see what they have, but you have to go to the store, not on-line. (Of course if you do not have store around, forget about this and do what everybody else are saying). Wait for a sale; they do have the best sales when it comes to pots and pans. I guarantee you will like it. I have 2-3 different sets from Macy’s and I absolutely love them.

I'd stay as far as possible from Tramontina and Wall Mart in general, if you are planning to keep the set for a while.

Stuff from Macy’s, if bought on sale will not cost you more than Wall Mart, but will be a much better quality.

CharlieD, you have to know that Tramontina is not a Walmart brand. I don't know about the cookware sets they sell, but like I said earlier, I have a Tramontina set, wasn't purchased at Walmart, but still perfect after five years of being used just about everyday.

I have Tramontina that I also bought not in Wall Mart. Tramontina makes lower quality comercial euipment.

( i hate my pc, it doens't type.)

For a little extra, Costco has a 13 piece set of the same construction (maybe even made by Tramontina). It's $199.

I just recently bought the 13 piece Stainless Steel Tri-Plly set from Costco. I really like it. Cooks very evenly. I have had no problem with food sticking (remember the Frugal Gourmet's saying "Hot pan, cold oil, foods don't stick"). The aluminum core goes all the way up the sides just like the All Clad. I also have some All Clad and think this is just as good. The set has a nice assortment of pieces:

1.5 qt. saucepan w/cover, 3 qt. saucepan w/cover, 8 qt. saucepan/Dutch oven w/cover, 4 qt. saute pan w/cover, 9.5 in. open skillet, 10 in. open skillet, 11 in everyday pan w/cover (casserole type of pan), and a steamer insert that fits the 3 qt. saucepan.

Costco's return policy is really great. You can try the pans out and if they don't meet your requirements, you can return them. Before I bought mine, I went to the service desk and asked the girl about them, if they had any feedback, etc. She said she has a friend who likes to cook who just bought them and loves them. She told me to try them and if I don't like them just bring them back.

Carol

Edited to add: I did call Tramontina and they told me that they do not make this set for Costco.

Also, if you go to Costco's Canada site (don't think I can post links yet) they have the set online. It is not on Costco's USA site. Canada sells it for $299, but here it is $199. Just go to costco-dot-ca instead of dot-com.

Hope this helps.

Carol

i would check out Emeril cookware

have had my set for about 6 years cook everyday with it ,never a issue mabeysize if your cooking for a larger family but mix in what you need check out Marshalls or TJ max for a larger saute pan and Roaster good luck found mine onsale 199.00

Tramotina makes pans that range from low quality to very good. Cooks Illustrated said their try ply is comparable to All-Clad. I have had two Tramotina pans that are a step under the try ply for over thirteen years and they are still going strong! I don't know of any reason why they shouldn't last another fifty years.

How is it that Tramontina can sell a set of pans the equal of AllClad for less than one AllClad pan?
1) not US Made
2) not high grade pure metals (is this dangerous? not necessarily but could be)
3) durability: do you need pans to last into the next millennia?

that said, they probably do cook well. Will they hold together for 20, 30 40 years? Cooks Illustrated doesn't know that and neither do I. But multi ply bonded metals can fail.

Handles and how are they attached? your pans should be able to go into a 500* oven or under a broiler if your recipe calls for it.

Back
Top Bottom