Buying New Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mohamed

Assistant Cook
My wife loves to cook, so do I - but hate the cleaning. We've normally bought store bought cookware, but end-up replacing it yearly because in most cases the quality is not that good.

I've started shopping online and have found some pretty good cookware on Amazon but wanted to get others opinions on it.

The one of two sets that I'm looking at buying are:

Cuisinart MCP-12 MultiClad Pro Stainless Steel 12-Piece Cookware Set
for $200.00 (regular $610.00)

or

Cuisinart 66-17 Chef's Classic Nonstick Hard-Anodized 17-Piece Cookware Set
for $218.00 (regular $670.00)

As all we've ever bought in the past is stuff like T-Fal or other store brands, what should I be looking for? I like non-stick because it is easy to clean but have been told that I should also look at cast iron - but don't know if we want to mess with seasoning the cookware.

Also we have one of those glass top stoves, so don't know if we could even use cast iron on it for fear of scratching the glass.

Problem we've had with store brands or other popular brands is that they quickly warp so the base is not flat but ends up with a small bulge so nothing heats evenly.

We cook a lot of Indian/East African dishes (like curries) but I enjoy more North American cooking and foods so need something that would work well for both types of foods.

We both like cookware with more pieces because of the wide variety of foods and some times when we're inviting guests over the larger the pots the better. We're also a Sunday breakfast family, so like having pans where we can make omlets or eggs that are not too big or too small.

I've read that the hard-anodized is a good option and the price for this is fantastic and as I'm living close to the US/CDN border I can ship to the US and drive down and pick-it up from the private postal service (like 15 minute drive).

Any suggestions, feedback, things to look for is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mohamed

We have a set of Lagostina pots and pans. They are stainless steel with a stainless steel covered aluminium bottom for better heating. I love the stuff. I recommend stainless with covered aluminium core.

We also have enamelled cast iron, which doesn't need to be seasoned. I love that stuff too, but it needs careful cleaning so the enamel doesn't get scratched. This stuff is great for heat retention, putting in the oven, and it's pretty enough to bring to the table.

My first choice is the multi-clad stainless by far. It's more durable, it will last forever, and is dishwasher safe.

Also, hard anodized non-stick coatings can wear or scratch off where stainless will not.

I would buy the stainless without a doubt.

We have a set of Lagostina pots and pans. They are stainless steel with a stainless steel covered aluminium bottom for better heating. I love the stuff. I recommend stainless with covered aluminium core.

We also have enamelled cast iron, which doesn't need to be seasoned. I love that stuff too, but it needs careful cleaning so the enamel doesn't get scratched. This stuff is great for heat retention, putting in the oven, and it's pretty enough to bring to the table.

Thanks for the tip! We've bought a Lagostina pressure cooker about 5 years ago, and it is great! It was expensive - around $100.00 (on sale) but we've been very happy with it. Before we bought that one, we must have bought 2 or 3 others that were around $50.00 each - the rubber seals wore out and we could never find replacements for them.

I'll check out Lagostina, I never even thought about their cookware.

Regards,

Mohamed

My first choice is the multi-clad stainless by far. It's more durable, it will last forever, and is dishwasher safe.

Also, hard anodized non-stick coatings can wear or scratch off where stainless will not.

I would buy the stainless without a doubt.

Hi Andy,

Thanks - I like the non-stick but after having used it, we hate the fact that the coating can scratch off if you use the wrong type of utensil in it, which unfortunately seems to happen regularly.

We'll look into larger multi-clad cookware sets.

Regards,

Mohamed

Hi Andy,

Thanks - I like the non-stick but after having used it, we hate the fact that the coating can scratch off if you use the wrong type of utensil in it, which unfortunately seems to happen regularly.

We'll look into larger multi-clad cookware sets.

Regards,

Mohamed

Mohamed, the one you linked looks like a good deal on quality cookware. There are others to be sure. Check out the warehouse clubs, Costco, Sam's Club. Their stuff is good quality.

I have a set of "liquid core" stainless steel pots that I have used for 40+ years, I love them. I also bought an electric skillet from All Clad, stainless overall, very heavy, but I love the way it cooks, it was a little pricey, but I plan to use this one till I die. I would stick with stainless for glass top stoves. It says in my stove manual not to use cast iron or pots with warped bottoms, it can cause uneven heating and ruin the element. (Just posted this to another thread.) I also like Calphalon, not as heavy, but cooks well.

of the two sets you are comparing I would go with the clad set. I've seen them both in stores, and the multi clad pro looks and feels substantial. It will be with you for many years. If you want some non stick (and a few pans are useful) go to a kitchen store and get a "restaurant" pan or two.

Hey Mohamed, Im new to the forum. In response to your post, I recently received a set of Le Creuset cookware and they are awesome. I will highly reccomend these to anyone in the market. They last forever and cook very well. Like i said, i just got them very recent, but i have used them and they are wonderful. You can find them in TJ Maxx, Homegoods and Marshalls very reasonably priced.

I really appreciate having both enamelled cast iron and stainless steel cookware. For some stuff I can use either, but some stuff just works best in one or the other.

Back
Top Bottom