"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-24-2004, 08:04 PM   #11

I spent about $90(Cdn$) on a 10" ThermAlloy non stick aluminum fry pan better than three years ago that has been very good to me (and have no doubt that you can do better on the price!)

I found the "secret" was in laying down the law on the implements that were permitted to be used with it, hand-washing it, and keeping it very scrupulously clean...I will use oil in if there's any doubt in my mind about stickiness...

On the other hand, congrats on selecting a superb gift for your family members, that they will appreciate for many years, and yield them fantastic meals! Who could give better, or more? Things that will be treasured and appreciated daily!

Old 12-25-2004, 01:11 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone.

Like anything else I guess, there are different tools for different jobs it seems.
I choose to stay away from the none stick stuff becouse like someone said it wears out.
However All clad makes a line of Teflon pans, but it’s different then the traditional Teflon that gets scratched. This stuff is actually imbedded into the pan. I don't by any Teflon yet but I'll probably get one for eggs.

I’m still confused though about weather or not I have the 12’’ or the 14. The box says 12’’ yet when you click on the 12’’ sample image from the web site it shows a completely different pan then what I have. It’s very crazy.

Old 12-25-2004, 12:06 PM   #13
Master Chef

I shop at Williams-Sonoma about as often as I do Neiman-Marcus or the Rolls Royce dealership ...

This is going to sound like a really basic idea, but, break out a tape measure and check the diameter of you mystery pan on the inside at the top of the pan. If it's close to 12" - it's a 12" pan, if it's closer to 14" - it's a 14" pan. Companies change things up from time to time .. so might very well have a 12" with a helper-handle that looks like the 14", but isn't.
Old 12-27-2004, 02:21 PM   #14
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have been telling people about this place for years. It is called Le Gourmet Chef, and you usally find them in an outlet mall, or you can shop online. Check out these two tri-ply stainless steel sets, one 7 piece set http://www.legourmetchef.com/product...mp;product=776 and one 10 piece set http://www.legourmetchef.com/product...mp;product=777. I guarantee you they are of comparible quality to All-Clad, manufactured to the same standards, and work just as well, at 1/3 the price. I own these myself and I swear by them.

If you continue to peruse Le Gourmet Chef's web site, you will find that they also sell both Calaphlon non-stick, and Calphalon One pots and pans at the best prices available anywhere. I also own some of the Claphalon stuff and am very happy with it. In additon, they carry a complete line of Lodge Cast Iron at reasonable prices.

You said you are in Chicago, so you can find a Le Gourmet Chef at the Chicago Premium Outlets in Aurora. The store carries much more than you see in the online site, and you can buy all their cookware individually, rather than in sets.

Before you spend any more money at Williams-Sonoma, please check this place out. I believe you will be thoroughly satisifed with the price, the selection, and the quality.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
beware of the "emerilware" by all clad. i have worn out the nonstick coating inside a frying pan, an omelet pan, and a sauce pan is scratched. what used to be a shiny non-stick coating is now a matte, very sticky surface. the anodized grey outside is also very stained, and i have tried everything to clean it.
i really liked their weight and heat conductivity, but the non-stick coating needs to be improved.
waveform, something you might want to research and invest in is a good cast iron pan, grill pan, and/or dutch oven to go along with non-stick and stainless cookware.

All Clad got it's name from being just that -- all clad. The aluminum core is not just a disk on the bottom but surronds the entire pan. his makes for better and more even heat conduction. That is one of the things that makes real All Clad such good cookware. I heartily endorse it -- just make sure you never pay full price. You can buy cosmetic seconds for cheap.

Anyway "Emerilware" is the bottom of the line All clad and isn't "all clad." And they charge top dollar for it because of his name. It just has a disk on the bottom. People complain about food burning in the corners of the pan because of it.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:17 PM   #16
Head Chef

I'm not very swayed by brands, but my favorite, most cherished saute pan is a Calphalon, a nice nonstick with an encapsulated disc bottom. Nonstick pans can burn out eventually, but if you use common sense (and don't use them to blacken or pan broil) they'll last quite awhile. Just don't let anyone use them! Er, anyone else, I mean!

Really almost all pans should have an encapsulated disc bottom- they just heat more evenly and do a nicer job. I've got nice stainless 8 qt & 10 qt ones like this for my soups, stews & pasta cooking. I keep a few burned out pans for when my mom comes to visit- saves her the trouble of ruining a nice pan. :P A nice heavy wok is handy to have, as is a small saucepan.

My sister recently paid for her life subscription to The Cooking Club of America. She got a free cookset, and I was surprised to see the stuff wasn't to bad. Not huge, maybe a 10 peice, but all the pots & pans had encapsulated disc bottoms and are reasonably heavy stainless steel. The handles feel a tad lightweight, but not bad for a spiff.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:19 PM   #17
Head Chef

Oh, yeah. I've got a nice heavy Calphalon roasting pan with a rack. That one's indispensible, too.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:26 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
I use one pan for everything 360 times a year and have been using it for hmm lets see 4 years. and its still in good condition. I use a cast iron pan that is Le Creuset. Very durable and easy to use

masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote