"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 12-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilinYuma View Post
Yeah, that's what I got, GLC, but Calphalon doesn't make it easy to find out!
I had to mostly pick them out of retail vendor sites where they had actually listed a place of origin. I ignored discussion sites, because people will post their guesses or prejudices as facts and are almost always wrong. I realize I then reported the information on a discussion site, so I should have explained where the information came from. I should add, too, that there were some hints that different pieces in a single line might come from different sources or that pans might come from one and lids from another.

Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I had to mostly pick them out of retail vendor sites where they had actually listed a place of origin. I ignored discussion sites, because people will post their guesses or prejudices as facts and are almost always wrong. I realize I then reported the information on a discussion site, so I should have explained where the information came from. I should add, too, that there were some hints that different pieces in a single line might come from different sources or that pans might come from one and lids from another.
Honey, they wanted a one-world economy and by golly they got it.
I'm buy'n the best pan i can

Old 12-19-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Here is what a company replied to my question,

[Please find the additional product information you requested below:
Unfortunately, item Calphalon Nonstick Omelette Pan 0537 is not made in China. According to Calphalon Consumer Customer Service, Calphalon Unison Nonstick is currently the only line that is made from their manufacturer in Toledo, Ohio.
We hope that the information provided will help you make an informed decision about your purchase.]

I think he meant that the omelet pan was made in china, the Unison is to high for me so looks like I will have to consider the ones made in China. Thank you all for your help..
Old 12-19-2012, 08:36 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I have calphalon pans (some made in USA, and some made in China). I really like all if them.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Yea I don't think either one is better than the other I just would of liked to shop locally I'm not that far from Toledo , Ohio Where the pan were made. But it is getting harder to do that, So I take it that these pans are worth the money? I'm starting with a 10 or 12 inch skillet for eggs which would you suggest?
Old 12-20-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
Master Chef

How many eggs are you planing to make? 8" is plenty for an omlet.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #17
Master Chef

I was recently looking through Chef's catalogue. They have some very interesting ceramic non-stick coatings by good companies that I wouldn't mind trying out. I think DeBuyer is one of the brands I was interested in. They also have some very good looking mineral pans. The other brand that looked promising was the Zwilling-J.A. Henkles Spirit Thermalon cookware.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:04 PM   #18
Master Chef

This thread made me think of my Calphalon set. I've had it for close to 20 years now. Am wondering if it was made in the States or in China? would anybody have any idea?
And as far as new stuff today is it really worth paying almost double for the stuff made here? I looked at 8 quart pot the ones made here is like $300 and the one made in China is $99.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Charlie, I envy you the 20 year old Calaphon. I would love to get my hands on some of the stuff from back when I bought my large sauté pan. Before they started putting silver stone or other non stick surface on the Calaphon. I like the original, but they don't seem to sell it anymore. I really don't like "non-stick" :(
Old 12-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #20
Master Chef

Actually it is non-stick, we got it for our wedding.