"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

We have been discussing SS clad pans. That is, two layers of SS with a layer of aluminum in between. Thus constructed, they are very good conductors.

Your anodized pans are much different from raw aluminum pans in their non-stick qualities. I chose clad SS over anodized alum. because the anodized surface of the pans is subject to damage exposing raw aluminum to foods.

I have cooked over easy eggs in a clad SS pan with not issues.

Old 05-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Years ago, I bought top-of-the line Calphalon Commercial non-stick for $500 and HATED it. It was a total disappointment. I took a loss and ditched it. I bought a set of Cuisinart SS cookery and LOVE it. For Sauteeing, I have 3 sizes of Orgreenic brand frying pans. I don't know how long they will last but nothing in recent memory cooks and browns up better than these fry pans. My daughter has a set of Emeril SS pans and loves them too. I've cooked on an electric stove my whole life and just two years ago moved into a house with a fabulous GE gas range/stove. What a difference. The Cuisinart pans perform beautifully on the gas stove.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Stirling bought a set of Lagostina stainless steel, aluminium core, cookware in 1989. I love it. It still looks really good. One of the things I like about it is that the handles are not riveted, so no dirt collects around the rivets. They are still on good and tight.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Lots of good info here. Thanks gang!

I have some out of state business that will occupy me for the next 1-2 weeks before I can focus on cookware. I'm thinking of buying All-Clad although I may buy Calphalon too, 1 piece each, and run them against each other, return the loser.

One good thing about dealing with BB&B, bring it back with all the packaging and undamaged and no problem full refund.

One thing I hate about my current skillet, it's convex in the middle. Grease it and bust an egg and the egg scurries to the edge. It will be pleasure to bust an egg in the middle and have it stay in the middle.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

The only thing I dislike about Allclad is the handles, they are just not "meaty" enough for me.

I was lucky and years ago Sears had a Kenmore set of fully clad pans on clearance for $99 and I use each and every piece.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:52 PM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
The only thing I dislike about Allclad is the handles, they are just not "meaty" enough for me.

I was lucky and years ago Sears had a Kenmore set of fully clad pans on clearance for $99 and I use each and every piece.

Sometimes you can find a steal of a deal like that.

About 12-15 years ago I saw a 10-piece tri-ply SS set @ Costco for $150. grabbed it and it has been fantastic. The pieces get regular use and are as good as new.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:35 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Maybe I should just stand around until I get lucky. It's not like my eggs siding to the side of the skillet will kill me.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:13 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

No, just do your homework and buy what you like.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Not a fan of a set as I like to use different brands and buy what I need. Not a fan of All-Clad either. If I had to buy AllClad, I probably just buy the standard 3ply or the new TK line, rather than D5 or copper.

If you're open to other brands, have you considered the fissler original pro collection? Very underrated cookware. I recently read on some website rated that their pots and saucepans are rated as as best on the market.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:54 PM   #20
Head Chef

Last month I bought the popular Calphalon duo skillet non stick pan set for sale everywhere in stores. One large and the other smaller. I have to say I'm pleased with them so far. I keep looking for scratches and the deterioration of the coating (using plastic spatulas) and so far, they are holding up great. I'm not sure what this adds to the conversation.

Only to say...where do the scratches and peeling of the coating come from...eventually...lol? I use only plastic utensils.