Calphalon HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bupo107

Assistant Cook
So - a Calphalon pot was left on the stove with a pot of rice and it basically burned the rice to oblivion. Burned in big time.

Anything I can do to save the pot or just chunk it?

Take a deep breath, relax, and tell us what kind of pot (hard anodized, stainless steel, non-stick). That's the first step. If it's not non-stick, or a "ply" material that you managed to melt the aluminum core out of - probably all you need to do is fill it with water and let it soak over night .. then break out a green scrubbie and get to work.

Of course if you warped it ...

As Michael said, soak it in hot water, maybe with some dish soap too, if that doesnt work, try scraping the burnt stuff off with a plastic spatula, and if that doesnt work, chuck it. I've had the same experience with rice in my non stick pot. Im a great cook, but rice is one thing I dont do well. :oops:

Bupo107, cover with water and bring to a slow boil and simmer, begin scraping with a wooden spoon, and when the rice is easily moved with the wooden spoon, remove from heat and dump water. Now rice should come out easily with a sponge or safe scrubber. I have done this and it works.

Or what I just did :roll: is heat the pan up again and when it is hot pour in some water (be very careful of the steam) and "deglaze" the pan.

If you have the hard anodized you can use a metal spoon.

You might have to do this a couple times.

I have also poured in kosher salt - enough to completely cover the bottom and then some and just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and the salt will also scrape the bits up.

Bupo107 said:
No - it is not non-stick. It's the anondized stuff.

(Gulp)

Relax - unless you heated the pot to the point you warped it, you can save it.

Just fill it with water, put it on the stove, bring it to a boil, then let the water simmer for about 1 hour - keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil dry ;) - and every once in a while use a wooden spoon to scrape the sides and bottom. Then, turn the heat off and let it sit for about another 30 minutes until it cools down - but still warm. You can then dump the water, and give it another good scraping with a wooden spoon.

Next, scrub it with a nylon mesh scrubber like the one here http://www.instawares.com/Power-Scrubber-Large.10-0511.0.7.htm - it will cut through a lot of the stuff stuck on the pan without scratching it and getting all clogged up. Then, you can switch over to a ScotrhBrite pad and use some Bar Keepers Friend, or a paste of table salt, and you should be able to get out the rest of the burned on bits.

They also have scrubbies made from copper, stainless steel, and brass - but I would try the nylon one first.

Only, I repeat ONLY, if this doesn't work and your going to toss it anyway - put it on the center rack of your oven and run it thru a self-cleaning cycle.

I don't know if this would discolour an aluminium pan, but this is a great trick for stainless steel pans....

Add hot water and some laundry detergent to the pan, leave overnight. The enzymes in the laundry detergent eat away and loosen the burnt-on gunk and the pan can be washed easily in the morning.

For stainless steel pans only (just for information Bupo - I know your pan is aluminium), spray with oven cleaner, leave for an hour, wash.

Paint.

Michael in FtW said:
Bupo107 said:
No - it is not non-stick. It's the anondized stuff.

(Gulp)

Relax - unless you heated the pot to the point you warped it, you can save it.

Just fill it with water, put it on the stove, bring it to a boil, then let the water simmer for about 1 hour - keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil dry ;) - and every once in a while use a wooden spoon to scrape the sides and bottom. Then, turn the heat off and let it sit for about another 30 minutes until it cools down - but still warm. You can then dump the water, and give it another good scraping with a wooden spoon.

Next, scrub it with a nylon mesh scrubber like the one here http://www.instawares.com/Power-Scrubber-Large.10-0511.0.7.htm - it will cut through a lot of the stuff stuck on the pan without scratching it and getting all clogged up. Then, you can switch over to a ScotrhBrite pad and use some Bar Keepers Friend, or a paste of table salt, and you should be able to get out the rest of the burned on bits.

They also have scrubbies made from copper, stainless steel, and brass - but I would try the nylon one first.

Only, I repeat ONLY, if this doesn't work and your going to toss it anyway - put it on the center rack of your oven and run it thru a self-cleaning cycle.

great info! I have a set of these pans and I'm sure that someday... I'll be needing to remember this.

Back
Top Bottom