"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 06-27-2006, 12:22 PM   #11
Master Chef

This wasn't asked about, but I feel it's an important consideration. Well-seasoned cast iron is the most versatile cookware I've ever used. It's cheap, nearly indistructable, holds heat well, heats evenly, and is virtually stick free once seasoned.

Plus, if I'm out camping, I can scour it with just water and clean sand if need be. Try that with your Calphalon or All Clad.

That being said, I prefer stainless to any non-stick, whether it be painted or hard anodized on the outside. Anodizing aluninimum simply makes the metal surface more resistant to dammage from normal wear and tear. We anodized the aluminum propellars on the Navy's Deep Submersible Recue Vehicle when I worked for Lockheed. Then we shot them with epoxy paint. All of this was done to protect them from salt-water corrosion (hmmmm, salt and water is corrosive?)

The only non-stick I have in my home is the big GE Electric skillet I use at our church's anual pancake breakfast.

Ya gotta try good cast-iron. IMHO, nothing beats it.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:01 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

i have the calphalon one pans and i like it alot, though i haven't tried anything else. i started throwing out my old icky teflon walmart pans when i moved into a house, and spent many nights shopping for pans on the net. i found a calphalon one saute pan at bed bath and beyond for $40, picked it up and tried it and it worked really well. browned nicely and wasn't a pain in the neck to clean up, even after my bf's mother cooked eggs in it without using any butter (it wasn't the nonstick one, but i have some nonstick now which really are stick-proof).
i've heard that the tomato sauces aren't so good in them, but i've made many batches of tomato sauce in the big 8 qt dutch oven and they've all turned out fine. also made a few batches of lemon curd which was a hit at a funeral reception. i'd find a small pan on sale to try out, i've bought about 6 more and have always managed to get them on at least 50% off at a kitchen store. still more than i ever used to think i'd pay for pans, but i have since learned it is better to buy something nice that will last many years rather than something cheap that i'll have to replace in a year or two.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

If I were in your shoes I would go with the SS All Clad. I have a few pieces of it and I really love it. The different lines of All Clad are basically the same as far as cooking performance goes. The differences are mainly cosmetic.

I have never had a problem keeping it clean and looking good, but I am not one of those people who need my pot and pans to look brand new.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:38 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

I have the all clad copper. Have had them for 10 years, superb cooking, superb heating. Yes, I would purchase the set, and then add as you need, and of course, as your family grows!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I agree with Andy M.
As to the difference between the All-Clad lines I posted this a week or so ago.
If you search this site for "Calphalon", All Clad" or "cookware", you'll see a great many long and comprehensive discussions.

I read your link. I would never pay big bucks for salt, but I did pay just that for a large All-Clad Copper Core skillet, even though I did save a little on eBay: They have some great prices for NIB All-Clad pieces and sets.

While it's really difficult to say if this line is significantly better than the SS unless you did some specific side-by-side tests, we've been very happy with the results so far. I plan on slowly replacing some other pieces with the Copper Core. These pans should be washed by hand, but then I'm a firm believer in hand-washing all premium cookware.

For those not familiar with this line, here's the schtick from Williams-Sonoma's ad:

All-Clad Copper Core Cookware
This premium cookware combines the superb heat-conducting properties of copper and aluminum with the easy maintenance and durability of stainless steel. Featuring five-ply construction, the pots and pans feature a copper core sandwiched between two aluminum layers, with stainless-steel interiorand exterior surfaces. The copper core runs through pan bottoms and up sides, so cookware heats and cools rapidly and evenly, with no hot spots.

18/10 stainless-steel cooking surfaces won’t react with foods and resist sticking. Rolled edges on pan rims promote dripless pouring.

Lids and stay-cool handles are made of stainless steel.

A band of copper rings the pan exterior. To preserve its attractive finish, we recommend washing this cookware by hand.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:09 PM   #16
Master Chef

all-clad. my Dad worked w/ them yrs. before i was born, & explains differences & what would suit you well. he explained to me extremely well, from construction of Mom & Dad's all-clad to thier bonding methods. williams-sonoma is excellent at explaining products, too. send me a msg. if you have a question. my Dad will give me a dagnabbin verbal novel in response.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Hi, I am new to this site. I stumbled across it due to my recent frustration!! I have been cooking for years with a set of Calphalon "Kitchen Essentials" I recieved as A wedding gift, I recently upgraded to the Calphalon One Hard Anondized. My problem... I can not make pancakes in them with out them sticking, unless the pan is filled in way too much oil. It was my understading that I would need less oil to cook in these... I have been cooking for years, I know what I am doing in the kitchen. What am I doing wrong?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:04 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choleskitchen
Hi, I am new to this site. I stumbled across it due to my recent frustration!! I have been cooking for years with a set of Calphalon "Kitchen Essentials" I recieved as A wedding gift, I recently upgraded to the Calphalon One Hard Anondized. My problem... I can not make pancakes in them with out them sticking, unless the pan is filled in way too much oil. It was my understading that I would need less oil to cook in these... I have been cooking for years, I know what I am doing in the kitchen. What am I doing wrong?
First of all, welcome to the site. I'm fairly new here myself.

I happen to have assorted cookware: All-Clad, Henckels, and Calphalon. I have several pieces of the Calphalon One that you're tallking about (not the nonstick). I bought it because I thought it would be a good compromise between nonstick and stainless. I think the pans are excellent but they don't seem to be any more stick resistant than SS. They do a good job with browning, though, and I have no problems keeping them clean (I use Barkeeper's Friend).

Having said that, though, I would not use a pan in that line for pancakes. To me, there are just some foods, like pancakes and eggs, that do better in either nonstick, which is my choice, or a type of material that develops a nonstick interior after use (like cast iron).

As an aside, I am considering buying the Calphalon One infused anodized double-burner grill pan but haven't yet ruled out a nonstick version by All-Clad. I have, though, my concerns about what high heat will do to a nonstick pan, no matter how good the quality. Cast iron would be great, but they are way too heavy.
Old 07-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Thanks, I have needed a good griddle for awhile any way. Maybe I'll start looking into one =) I have three girls that would be truly heartbroken if I were to do away with pancakes on account of a pan ;)
Old 07-18-2006, 06:11 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choleskitchen
Thanks, I have needed a good griddle for awhile any way. Maybe I'll start looking into one =) I have three girls that would be truly heartbroken if I were to do away with pancakes on account of a pan ;)
I have a Calphalon nonstick double-burner griddle that works great. If I were buying today, I'd probably go for that again or the All-Clad nonstick ($99).

But when it comes to the double-burner grill, I'm still undecided as to nonstick or regular.