Calphalon One/All Clad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the suggestion. as far as grill pans go, I have a cast iron one that I love!! I have had it for years so it is very well seasoned, Its just a single burner. But me personally ? I would go with cast iron again.

:chef:

I had considered cast iron, believe me. We love our skillets. But we have those burners that are different in size, so that we need to reverse that double-burner grill a few times in order to get the most even heating.

The lodge double-burner grills don't have prominent handles. So that, plus their hefty heft, would be less than convenient for us.

I'm tending to think, though, that rather than the All-Clad nonstick, I should fork up the bucks for that Calphalon One infused anodized grill so that I won't worry about high heat or metal utensils.

suzyQ3 said:
...so that we need to reverse that double-burner grill a few times in order to get the most even heating...

...or you could adjust the smaller burner to a higher setting and the larger burner to a lower setting to get even heat all around.

Andy M. said:
...or you could adjust the smaller burner to a higher setting and the larger burner to a lower setting to get even heat all around.

The size difference is so great that it's easiest to reverse the pan every few minutes or so. That's according to my husband, who is the master chef around here and very fussy...so fussy that he'd like to replace the whole cooktop (we inherited it when we moved in almost two years ago). But that ain't gonna happen in the near future.

But even with the burners of our dreams, I sort of like the design (handles) and ease of the All-Clad and Calphalon choices, even though I appreciate the benefits of cast iron. Still haven't made up my mind yet, so who knows? :rolleyes:

Hi all,

Consumer reports rates the Kirkland brand cookware (Costco) the highest. I don't own any but the pieces have a nice and heavy feel. They are also less expensive than AC or Calphalon.

The Kirkland Brand I've seen in Costco is not clad. Rather, it has a multi-layer disk on the bottom. That's not an awful thing, just not the same construction as All-Clad (except fot the Emerilware line).

I believe Costco also has offered (and maybe still does) an anodized aluminum line of cookware. It would be on a par with other premium brands.

Years ago, I bought a set of Kirkland clad SS cookware and it has been outstanding! I haven't seen another clad SS set there since then.

Costco now offers the rebranded Tramontina line in a Tri-Ply 13 piece set for $230 in the warehouses (though not online as of this writing).

After making a close comparison with All-Clad stainless which is where I was headed, I was stunned to find that I thought the Kirkland Signature was actually a superior product, especially where the handles are concerned. The thickness is about the same, maybe it is the same (I didn't bring my calipers).

A whole set of high quality stainless clad cookware for the price of a single AC 6 quart saute pan. Amazing.

Edited to add that I was reading this thread because I'd just bought a Calphalon One non-stick 10" skillet at T.J. Maxx today for $50 and wondered what others thought of this line. Sorry to bring back a year and a half old thread!

Last edited:
the price differences reflect where they are made. The AC is USA made in PA. The Kirkland brand is Thai made. Much Calphalon is Asian made now too. They all cook very well.

Actually, the Kirkland Tri-Ply is made in Brazil by Tramontina. AC's high price is, in part, because most of it's American made (I think lids are made in China?) and they have a huge and expensive advertising budget. I feel I got a better product for 20% the cost of a similar AC set. Time will tell.

It's made several places then as I just saw it in Delaware made in Thailand, not that it matters if it works well for you in your kitchen! AllClad does outsource some few items (a lid here for this roaster, the asparagus steamer etc) to a plant in China. They are careful to identify it on the box. Got nothing against China just would rather my $$ stay in this country.

CSG,
The Tramontina products made in Brazil are very highly considered in South America. You are probably very lucky to find pieces that cheap since their currency has been climbing up on the Dollar for most of last year. They will eventually go up in price.

The Kirkland Brand I've seen in Costco is not clad. Rather, it has a multi-layer disk on the bottom. That's not an awful thing, just not the same construction as All-Clad (except fot the Emerilware line).

I believe Costco also has offered (and maybe still does) an anodized aluminum line of cookware. It would be on a par with other premium brands.

Years ago, I bought a set of Kirkland clad SS cookware and it has been outstanding! I haven't seen another clad SS set there since then.

cosign.

i bought 2 sets of tri-ply SST set from sam's club that i believe is actually tramontina; one for myself, and one for mom.

i haven't seen tri-ply sets in sam's or costco in a very, very long time... glad i purchased them when i did.

Tramontina three-ply clad ss is available at Wal*Mart, Sam's, and Costco right now under various private labels.

Back
Top Bottom