Calphalon One Infused Skillet - Eggs Sticking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcFreid

Assistant Cook
I like to make an Egg Beater Omellet everymorning and as a college student I decided to try and cook all my meals with one "everything" pan. So far this skillet has worked wonders for pretty much everydish, but I have yet to figure out how to make my omellets not stick.

I've tried a very hot pan with cold oil, the eggs just sizzled and immediatly stuck to the pan.

I've tried very hot pan with hot oil, and got the same result as above.

I've tried a medium heat pan with cold and hot oil, the eggs didn't immediatly adhere to the pan, but still I couldn't get a good clean removal (some parts stick horribly while others do lift off).

I've also tried very low heat with oil and waiting a long time, but the result was the worst out of all of them as a thick layer of egg glued itself to the entire pan.

Please help!

Thanks,
Michael

It's not you, it's the pan. Calphalon One just plain doesn't work very well, in my experience, at least as far as being non-stick.

Hmm, I was so hoping for a pan that could mostly function in every catagory (I didn't want to use teflon because I wanted to be able to do hot pan searing as well). Is there really no hope?

Before buying a new pan, try this method. My husband makes us scrambled eggs several times a week using this method and a stainless steel pan, and the pan is a snap to clean up.

Scrambled Eggs

eggs
vegetable oil
hot water
salt & pepper, optional

1. Spray a skillet with oil. Preheat over medium heat until the oil begins to shimmer and becomes thin. (Pan is ready when a few drops of water sizzle on contact with the pan.)

2. Meanwhile, submerge eggs (still in their shells) in hot tap water in a clean bowl.

3. When the pan is ready or nearly ready, remove eggs from the hot water and break into a clean bowl (note: don't use the bowl you used to warm the eggs). Scramble well with a fork or small whisk.

4. Add the eggs to the pan, reduce heat to medium-low. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Wait about 30 seconds to 1 minute for the bottom-most layer of eggs to solidify. The top of the eggs will still appear wet. With a spatula, gently scrape the eggs away from the edges of the pan, allowing the wet eggs to make contact with the pan. Continue to gently move eggs around as needed until they are set and no longer wet or glossy, approximately 5-7 minutes (depending on the number of eggs you're using). Serve hot.

Carefully...

I have Calphalon One Infused (not nonstick) and can usually cook eggs without sticking. The 2 secrets I find are preheating the pan to the right temp (trial and error) and having a scrupulously clean pan.

I preheat the pan to medium low or slightly lower. The eggs should sizzle lightly when added and start to coagulate in a minute or so. Jiggle the pan carefully as the eggs set to loosen any sticking parts. I found the same thing as you, that if the pan is too cool the sticking is the worst.

The other thing is a very clean pan. When I fry meat in the pan it gets dark oily looking stains that won't wash off with soap. C1 seems to have a real affinity for oil. When those stains are visible, delicate things like eggs and fish start to stick. I use Barkeeper's Friend (as recommended by Calphalon) to clean off the dark stains (don't really scrub, just rub lightly and leave on for a minute or 2).

C1 is wonderful for browning and temp control, but it is not non-stick and must be used carefully.

you are making an eggwhite omlet (egg beaters). super stick to metal item. you need a silverstone/teflon pan. (Cooks tried those green pans and said they were disappointing.)

a "restaurant pan" is a heavy aluminum skillet. You can get them with teflon. They are not expensive. For eggs (and scallops) they are great.

I have Calphalon One Infused (not nonstick) and can usually cook eggs without sticking. The 2 secrets I find are preheating the pan to the right temp (trial and error) and having a scrupulously clean pan.

I preheat the pan to medium low or slightly lower. The eggs should sizzle lightly when added and start to coagulate in a minute or so. Jiggle the pan carefully as the eggs set to loosen any sticking parts. I found the same thing as you, that if the pan is too cool the sticking is the worst.

The other thing is a very clean pan. When I fry meat in the pan it gets dark oily looking stains that won't wash off with soap. C1 seems to have a real affinity for oil. When those stains are visible, delicate things like eggs and fish start to stick. I use Barkeeper's Friend (as recommended by Calphalon) to clean off the dark stains (don't really scrub, just rub lightly and leave on for a minute or 2).

C1 is wonderful for browning and temp control, but it is not non-stick and must be used carefully.

I make sure to do the clean thing as well (I noticed also how easily oil burns onto the pan and do use Barkeeper's Friend to get it off). I'm going to try your cooking technique tomorrow. I have a quick question though about when you jiggle the pan. Is this after a minute or two (once the eggs start to form on the bottom) or do you jiggle it immediatly after you pour the eggs on?

IMO, the simplest answer is to have a nonstick skillet on hand for cooking eggs. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get a decent one, either.

I prefer NON nonstick for most other skillet type foods, but I don't want to have to fuss and worry about cooking a simple egg dish. Nonstick works easily and cleans up easily.

I make sure to do the clean thing as well (I noticed also how easily oil burns onto the pan and do use Barkeeper's Friend to get it off). I'm going to try your cooking technique tomorrow. I have a quick question though about when you jiggle the pan. Is this after a minute or two (once the eggs start to form on the bottom) or do you jiggle it immediatly after you pour the eggs on?

I jiggle the pan after the eggs start to coagulate. If the pan and egg temps are just right with the right amount of oil (actually I usually use margarine:wacko:), nothing sticks. If they stick a little, then jiggling the pan loosens them, whereas using a spatula may tear them.

Hope this helps.

IMO, the simplest answer is to have a nonstick skillet on hand for cooking eggs...

I agree. No sense in over thinking this. If you're on a budget and the pan you have isn't working out for eggs, you can get an acceptable teflon or equivalent skillet for $5 to $10.

Look for an aluminum pan with non-stick coating. The thicker the aluminum is the better the pan will perform. If it has a colored coating on the outside, you can put it in the dishwasher without discoloration.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom