Calphalon tri-ply or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lepetitfrancais

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, went through quite a bit and found it very helpful:chef: .
Anyhow, I just bought a set of the Triply Calphalon. I have a concern with the aluminum in the pan since it surrounds the pan from top to bottom. The aluminum is "sandwiched" between the 18/10 (T-304)steel. My concern is actually with the thickness is the steel between the inside and the aluminum. I called Calphalon directly and they can't tell me how thick the steel is:wacko: , all they say is that it was approved by the FDA and EPA and that the pan is safe. This does not mean much since you all know the FDA and EPA approve full blown aluminum pans to be sold in the US...
So anyway, does anyone think that after a while you could eventually ware through the steel to the aluminum? I hope I don't sound to paranoid :blink: but I just heard to many ugly stories re aluminum from my sister that happens to be a bio chemist...

Tri-ply technology is not a problem. Many makers do it and it works fine. It's really the best way to go if you want stainless as the aluminum core is essential to even heat distribution and elimination of hot spots.

You shouldn't have any problems. I have a Calphalon tri-ply 3 quart saute pan I got for $30.00 and it is equal in performance to All-Clad.

Also, there are no priven health risks in aluminum cookware. Raw aluminum in contact with acidic foods will effect the taste but does not contribute to any illnesses such as Alzheimer's (sp).

Last edited:
If you have concerns about the thickness of the Stainless Steel interior of the pans and health safety issues - why did you buy them before you investigated their "safety"? :wacko:

18/10 Stainless Steel is a very hard metal - and doesn't have to be very thick to isolate it from the aluminum core. Under "normal" useage (not scrubbing it with a steel-wool pad on an electric drill) it should probably outlast your lifetime.

Well Michael in FtW , it's called go and get a refund if you don't like the product... also, I highly dought that .4 mm will out last a lifetime, that is pretty much paper thin. I should have know when I saw "made in China" on the bottom...

Last edited:
Calphalon is a good product and I have never heard of any clad pot or pan wearing through to the aluminum. It just doesn't happen!

If you must return it, go ahead. You won't find anything better.

Andy M. said:
Calphalon is a good product and I have never heard of any clad pot or pan wearing through to the aluminum. It just doesn't happen!

If you must return it, go ahead. You won't find anything better.

Actually, I'm really happy a set of Viking pans that I got instead. I know they are a lot more but so far, in my opinion, they outperform the Calphalon by a lot (more even cooking and heat distribution), they also have .9mm of stainless steel between the center and the aluminum...

I've seen the Viking and they look really solid. I'm glad to hear they're performing well.

I love my Calaphon pots and pans...I don't know if they come in different grades or not, but one of my big skillets was $200, so if you got one for $30, it kinda makes me wonder.

What I bought was a 3-quart saute pan with a glass lid. It's a tri-ply stainless. I believe it was being promoted as an introductory item for the line.

I can't say how it compares to your pan. It works without a problem for me.

calphalon does indeed make differing grades of pans. their top line clad pans are great be they ss or copper. But the lesser lines made for Target, Kohls, etc, are cheaper and thinner. The Viking would indeed outperform those.

I have the tri-ply "chicken fryer." I also have calphalon nonstick.

Tri-ply has a lifetime guarantee. If you wear through the stainless, send it back and they'll send you a new one.

What I don't like is that I have to send it to Chicago when the factory is considered a suburb of my city. Sorta roundabout, eh?

Chris

I love my calphalon. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Though... it's really heavy and I can see that being a problem in a few years when I'm not as strong as I am at this YOUNG (lolololo) age!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom