"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 04-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Calphalon vs. Anolon

I am recently engaged and attempting to register for my first (non hand-me-down) set of pots and pans. So far I seem to have narrowed it down to Calphalon Contemporary Non-stick, Calphalon Everyday, Calphalon Kitchen Essentials (at Target) and Anolon Advanced. I know that is a lot of different choices, but I am getting confused by all the different options. I really enjoy cooking and I want something non-stick with handles that won't get too hot. I also like the clear lids. If you have any advice, personal experience, etc., that would be great!

Thanks!

Old 04-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #2
Executive Chef

To me, basically, they are both pretty much made the same way. But I could be wrong. The difference lies in your own personal preference, i think.

I don't have Calphalon, but I DO HAVE two of Ray-Ray's pots that are made by Anolon.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:45 PM   #3
Sous Chef

I would be cautious about spending a bunch of $$$ on anything with a "non stick" coating on the inside. The pans only last as long as the coating does.

I understand the desire for say a non-stick skillet but not for a whole set.

In choosing I would as many questions about the surfaces of these pans and what you can and cannot do with them. both companies have different lines with different features.

I would consider not going for a "set" and rather choosing specific pieces so that you can have the non-stick where you want it but not where you dont.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'm not sure about such details, but I do have set of Alpholon and set of Analon. I like them both. The one thing I do not like about Analon is size of the frying pans. The Calpholon seems to have biger size pans. I like that better.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #5
Senior Cook

When I decided to upgrade our cookware I decided Calphalon Commercial nonstick was what I was going to get until I bought my first piece of Anolon. After that it was mostly Anolon.
The Anolon advanced is coated with Dupont's Autograph II inside and outside also. Makes clean up a snap.
The people that advise getting a cheap teflon coated pan because the coating will wear off are getting what they pay for.
The Anolon is triple coated and the wear factor for these are much longer than for a cheaper teflon coated pan.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Chief Eating Officer

I have Calphalon non stick pans. They are about 6 years old. I love them. The coating has not worn off and even if it did then Calphalon would replace the pan under their lifetime warranty. My 12 inch skillet even has a big nasty scratch in it that is about 5 years old. The scratch has never gotten any bigger and nothing has ever stuck to it.

I personally think it makes more sense to not get a set, but get pans based on your cooking. I like some non stick, some stainless steel, some cast iron, some aluminum, etc. Sets are OK, but most people would do better to buy individual pieces based on what they will use them for. If you are going to get a non stick set though then Calphalon makes an excellent product that they stand behind.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #7
Cook

if you're set on non-stick do the calphalon contemp...if not....look at the Calphalon Tri-Ply. last you a lifetime.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Based on those choices, I would take the Analon.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I recently purchased a set of Analon Advanced, I absolutely LOVE it! Everything cooks so evenly and clean up is a breeze. I can't believe the quality! Can't say enough good about them.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:36 PM   #10
Senior Cook

I have a lot of the anolon that came out before the advanced did. I like them so much that I came on tonite to pose the question does it make sense to buy a second set just because I like the handles.
I don't know much about calphalon except I can get a set of my favorite anolon for the price of a couple of pieces of calphalon