Can anyone tell me what this is and how to use it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dayna

Assistant Cook
Some time ago I was given a pot, at least I think it is a pot?
It is a heavy ceramic or stoneware pot in a shape similar to an angle food cake pan, but not as deep, and it has a lid.
I have seen something like this on a cooking show, but they didn't show it for long and never expalined what it was, let alone how to use it.
I went looking at a number of web sites that sell ceramic cooking pots, but had no luck in finding anything like this one.
I am hoping someone here can help with that, I would like to know what it is and the uses for it.
Any ideas? Anyone? Anyone at all?
Dayna

Hi, dayna, and welcome to DC.

Now, for your pot. Are you sure it's stoneware or ceramic? Is it possible it could be enamel-coated cast-iron? Perhaps something like Le Creuset.

Could you possiblly take a photo of it and post it so we can get a better idea of what it really looks like? What are the actual dimensions? Those would help, too.

You said you saw it on a cooking show. What kind of cooking show was it? Perhaps the cookware is some sort of ethnic piece.

At any rate, just be patient. You'll definitely get an answer here. There are many eyes.

Is this what it looks like:

steamerB.jpg

https://rockriff-mach7.4ecommerce.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RRRP&Product_Code=VGST&Category_Code=S

This is a ceramic steamer which is designed to be placed upon a pot of water so the steam from the boiling water can rise up through the center hole to steam your vegetables, pudding or other foods placed into the steamer.

Last edited:
Aurora said:
Is this what it looks like:

steamerB.jpg

https://rockriff-mach7.4ecommerce.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RRRP&Product_Code=VGST&Category_Code=S

This is a ceramic steamer which is designed to be placed upon a pot of water so the steam from the boiling water can rise up through the center hole to steam your vegetables, pudding or other foods placed into the steamer.

That is what it looks like, only a bit shallower and the lid has no handle knob, and the hollow in the center is narrower, but darn if it doesn't look like it.
To everyone else, I will get a pic and post it.
Any suggestions for recipes for this contraption?
Dayna

Back
Top Bottom