Can I use my Dutch oven as a roasting pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quicker Thinker Upper

Assistant Cook
Or are the higher sides of the Dutch oven going to affect me somehow?

I have a Le Creuset Dutch oven, it's oven safe. So I'm not worried about that. This will be for roasting veggies and tomotos mostly...

Yes I think the tall sides will hurt - to me they will steam and not roast. There a lot more experienced members though on here, I am just a Grandma cook.

Are you going to add liquid to it? What are you roasting? In the oven, the pan, the oven, racks, etc, will all come to the oven’s temperature. If roasting at 400, then everything in the oven will come to 400 as the meat roasts. Heat from the bottom heats the pan, and circulating air heats the meat all around. With taller sides, as long as the lid is NOT on, it’s not that big a deal. You will get some focused steam evacuation, but that is good for your meat and will keep it moist without making it soggy (if you roast in the open without a lid).

If the meat is large enough to touch the sides, you must consider the extra heat there as it will be something of a browning source.

With a deep pan like that, keep the lid off, and use a trivet or rack to keep the meat off the floor and you’ll be fine. In fact, you’ll probably like the results better than a flat sheet. It is only a marginal difference (the juices from the meat are vaporized on the floor of the pan, and walls concentrate it toward the meat as it evacuates), but it is desirable.

thanks for the info...while waiting for an answer, I ended up going to BB&B and picking up a roasting pan (Calphalon Contemporary stainless steel)....i figured it'd get plenty of use anyway, so i might as well take the plunge

A calphalon roasting pan is all well and good and has its place. If you are roasting vegetables, as you stated in your original post, and NOT meat then you are still better off with what is called a jelly roll pan. Otherwise, as someone already mentioned, your vegetables will have a tendency to steam. When they roast they get a bit crisp on the outside.

You WILL love your roasting pan. I have a Calphalon roasting pan. I don't use it much but when I need it I have it.

Are you going to add liquid to it? What are you roasting? In the oven, the pan, the oven, racks, etc, will all come to the oven’s temperature. If roasting at 400, then everything in the oven will come to 400 as the meat roasts. Heat from the bottom heats the pan, and circulating air heats the meat all around. With taller sides, as long as the lid is NOT on, it’s not that big a deal. You will get some focused steam evacuation, but that is good for your meat and will keep it moist without making it soggy (if you roast in the open without a lid).

If the meat is large enough to touch the sides, you must consider the extra heat there as it will be something of a browning source.

With a deep pan like that, keep the lid off, and use a trivet or rack to keep the meat off the floor and you’ll be fine. In fact, you’ll probably like the results better than a flat sheet. It is only a marginal difference (the juices from the meat are vaporized on the floor of the pan, and walls concentrate it toward the meat as it evacuates), but it is desirable.

I think they were referring to vegetables and tomatoes only - no meat involved. So, Quicker Thinker Upper - keep keltin's information handy when it's time to make a roast or even a Thanksgiving turkey!!!

I think they were referring to vegetables and tomatoes only - no meat involved. So, Quicker Thinker Upper - keep keltin's information handy when it's time to make a roast or even a Thanksgiving turkey!!!

I really need to work on my attention span!:wacko::ohmy::LOL:

Somehow I missed the veggie part. In that case, no, don't use a DO!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom