Can you use the rough side of a sponge on stainless steel, enamel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNPiccolo5

Senior Cook
Hi everyone,

Can you use the "rough side" of the sponge on stainless steel cookware without decreasing performance? What about enameled cast iron (such as Le Creuset)

Sometimes the sponges are the yellow ones with a green rough side, but other times they're light blue with a dark blue rough side. I don't use these on nonstick.

I'm wondering about stainless, though. I want my pans to last for a long time!

Thanks,
Tim

The blue sponge/scrubbers are less abrasive and fine for non-stick surfaces so would be fine for SS as well.

The yellow sponge with the green scrubber is much more abrasive. I don't use them on my SS.

If the blue ones don't get the job done, buy a can of Barkeepers Friend powder and use that. It's the best thing on the market for SS pans and absolutely will not harm them.

... buy a can of Barkeepers Friend powder and use that. It's the best thing on the market for SS pans and absolutely will not harm them.

Barkeepers Friend is all I use on my SS. It also works really well on Pyrex bakeware and corningware bakeware.

If you soak your pan or pot for just a few minutes it should be easy to clean depending on the quality of the cookware. Also a metal utensil can be used on good quality coated frying pans without marking them now a days.

Thanks everyone.

You were right. I went to the drug store and noticed the blue ones are labeled "no scratch" and claim that they can be used even on nonstick!

Sometimes soaking isn't possible for me because I live in an apartment without an oversized sink... These sponges will be nice.

Thanks again!

Tim

Tim,

If you can't soak, pour some VERY HOT water into the pan and then heat it on the stove, that will help soften what is stuck. You can then use a wooden spatual to scrap the bottom while you are heating the water in the pan.

OLD thread but I want to mention that I use the sponge with the green side on the inside of my allclad SS and the yellow side for the outside of the pan.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom