Can't clean cast iron pan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So at what point, and how does the pan look, when someone figures it needs to be 'stripped'?

This is probably a good candidate... ;)

img_8886.jpg

I'm not understanding "stripping down".

I have my mother's CI which has had the bottom scoured on more than one occasion from a burn. The sides are pretty 'thick' with past meals but don't hinder the cooking ability. So at what point, and how does the pan look, when someone figures it needs to be 'stripped'?

This kind of pan might have to be stripped. It has to be really bad to need stripping.

imv7cz.jpg

These look like pans that have rusted? I have rusted pans on occasion (bad me) but I have just scrubbed (ok scoured) with steel wool and re-oiled. With use it has always come back.

I do have a huge deep almost cauldron that very early (wedding gift more than 40 years ago) on I actually etched/pitted the bottom of it by leaving a spicy tomato chilli in it over night (New Years Eve party). The pit marks make a rough bottom but it doesn't seem to affect anything I cook in it. Just annoying when cleaning.

These look like pans that have rusted? I have rusted pans on occasion (bad me) but I have just scrubbed (ok scoured) with steel wool and re-oiled. With use it has always come back.

I do have a huge deep almost cauldron that very early (wedding gift more than 40 years ago) on I actually etched/pitted the bottom of it by leaving a spicy tomato chilli in it over night (New Years Eve party). The pit marks make a rough bottom but it doesn't seem to affect anything I cook in it. Just annoying when cleaning.

You make a good point. Steves is probably a better candidate. My pic might be saved with your technique.

But a CI pan really has to be trashed to be stripped and reseasoned from scratch.

A little bit of rust just adds iron :)

Cast iron wipe off most of the food, and rub it down with crisco or oil, that will do it most of the time.

Some of the pictures above, I'd ask around who has a sandblaster or beadblaster I could use.

Some of the pictures above, I'd ask around who has a sandblaster or beadblaster I could use.

It seems to me that could damage the surface and you would never get it seasoned again. All they need is a little steel wool, some salt and a lot of elbow grease. Or maybe a drill with a sander attachment.

It seems to me that could damage the surface and you would never get it seasoned again. All they need is a little steel wool, some salt and a lot of elbow grease. Or maybe a drill with a sander attachment.

Eh, I agree steel wool salt and working it would clean them up all fine.

I don't think you can ruin or disturb the seasoning potential of a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. At the worst case, you have to start from scratch, which means in my experience oil and a quite hot oven. That would be likely if you sand or bead blasted one.

Cast Iron is terribly forgiving. One has to try hard to mess it up.

I actually have been too much in love with the pressure cooker recently (it has buttons and makes beepy boopy sounds) and not using my cast iron dutch oven as much as I should.

TBS

I don't think you can ruin or disturb the seasoning potential of a cast iron skillet or dutch oven. At the worst case, you have to start from scratch, which means in my experience oil and a quite hot oven. That would be likely if you sand or bead blasted one.

Cast Iron is terribly forgiving. One has to try hard to mess it up.

Turns out - you can. The surface can be damaged, chemically and physically. Did you read the article Steve Kroll posted earlier? It's worth the time.

Turns out - you can. The surface can be damaged, chemically and physically. Did you read the article Steve Kroll posted earlier? It's worth the time.

Oh I imagine you could. Even the pots above I wouldn't sandblast.

However, I've seen it done. In our scout troop growing up one of the overenthusiastic father's with his own garage after the troop sent his son home with the patrol pots for post-camp cleaning (a rotating thing) decided to get them really clean and sandblasted them.

We had to throw the two aluminum pans away eventually, gave them a matt finish that just wouldn't cook right. My dad and I spend a weekend re-seasoning the cast iron dutch oven. Took a lot of coats of crisco, but It came out OK, as far as I know it is still being used.

That being said, it is anecdotal, not scientific evidence, and I'd hesitate to do that to a poor cast iron pot or pan.

I do suggest baking soda and water for removing rust.

I also really feel that unless you have rust, 'burn scars' are just levels of different seasoning.

One thing too I notice about using cast iron that is a little different than using non-stick in braising meet, is first not to go too hot, medium high is the highest I use. Second just leave it be. If you've decided to give it three minutes on each side, don't mess with it. As the meat hits that Malliard reaction, the meat will release itself and flip smoothly. If you pry at it early it will leave residue behind that becomes those burn looking spots.

Again, I don't worry if it looks like it has spots after I use it. They come clear in a couple of uses. Wipe it down with some oil, shortening and lard, then you are fine.

TBS

My problem is that my DD has been cleaning my CI because I have a lot of pain in my finger joints and wrists so I can't always handle the cleaning. I find there is a lot of build up on some of my CI. Mostly my grill pan in the ridges, my largest skillet and my DO. I showed her how to clean them but it seems that I can detect a smell and taste. If self clean is to hot can I bake them in a 500 degree oven for awhile to burn off the seasoning?

My problem is that my DD has been cleaning my CI because I have a lot of pain in my finger joints and wrists so I can't always handle the cleaning. I find there is a lot of build up on some of my CI. Mostly my grill pan in the ridges, my largest skillet and my DO. I showed her how to clean them but it seems that I can detect a smell and taste. If self clean is to hot can I bake them in a 500 degree oven for awhile to burn off the seasoning?

Not sure if 500ºF is hot enough to burn off grundge.

Not sure if 500ºF is hot enough to burn off grundge.

I want to clean these but people keep saying self clean is to hot and will ruin my pans. I will not use chemicals to clean so what choice do I have?

I want to clean these but people keep saying self clean is to hot and will ruin my pans. I will not use chemicals to clean so what choice do I have?

I've used he self-cleaning cycle to clean CI skillets twice with no ill effect. Also the gas grill to clean a carbon steel wok.

I understand your hesitation. Aside from heat or chemicals, there aren't a lot of options.

OK, if you have a cast iron pan.

Relax.

Andy, You shouldn't burn off grundge. You it it with a sponge, and one of those scrub pans when it was hot? great.

I know what you are talking about, you think it is dirty, or will mess up your recipe. If it seems flat, compared to the rest of your pan, and it seems like a scar, something you should clean out. Nahh.

90% of the time just leave it.

I've never had a CI that had crusted stuff that was allowed to age long enough to become geologically significant, but I have a CI griddle/grill that is part of my GE range, and the grill side gets a lot of use. I have a stiff bristle scrub brush and a Rescue scouring pad that I use to get any chunks off, just under running hot water. Along with a post scrub oiling, that seems to keep it in pretty good shape.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom