"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-25-2010, 02:26 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

I am with everyone else here in that I do not use soap or detergent on my CI. I would not be opposed to using it sparingly from time to time once the seasoning was strong enough to be able to handle it, but right now I don't think my seasoning is not strong enough.

While I think the woman with the dry heaves over reacted, I also think that her reaction is not that crazy. Most people on this site know a lot about food and food safety and cooking materials and such. The average person does not know much about these things. How many people still think you have to cook pork until it is black and crispy to avoid getting sick for instance? Before I know about these things I would have been thinking the same thing the dry heave woman was probably thinking. If you went to someones house for dinner and they took a dirty plate from the table and dumped some salt on it and wiped it out with a paper towel and then served you dinner on that plate I think most of us would at least have a thought run through our heads about sanitation and washing with soap and if they do that with their plates then what else do they do that would make us think twice.

My point is that we all know that CI is fine treated the way we all treat it, but those not in the know really have no way of knowing that that is a sanitary thing to do and it is not unclean.

Old 01-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #22
Master Chef

Salt here, the best cleaner for CI. I better stop here beore I get really mad and tell oyou what i really think about those, what did you people called the germofobs? Grrrrrrrrr

Old 01-25-2010, 05:43 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

I sometimes start cleaning my CI by boiling water in it. That has to kill most anything. After rinsing off the crud, I put it back on the burner to dry it. That gets the temperature of the pan well over the 212F boiling point of water, an even better sanitizer.

I'd bet gag girl's pots and pans never see those temperatures!
Old 01-26-2010, 12:58 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Lodge cast iron grill/griddle NewYork strip steaks

This Lodge cast iron griddle was the magic to make these strip steaks. The steak prep was salt, pepper and evoo. Preheated oven and griddle to 450 F and then put on the steaks. Turned oven to broil. In 3 minutes rotated to get the sear lines after 6 min. flipped. At 10 minutes pulled out of the oven and set griddle on a cutting board to finish sizzling. Guess it was 3 minutes for the hissing to settle down. Done medium rare. Plated the steaks and put the very hot griddle in the sink. Cold water and it hissed... nylon dish brush to scrub clean then paper towel to lightly dry. Put in the hot oven well we ate the steaks. Best seaoned cast iron I have. Never any soap or steel wool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newyork strip steaks.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	7835  
Old 01-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim68 View Post
Thinking back, I cannot think of ever cooking anything in Cast iron that I didn't cook at a higher temperature, and a longer time, than any germ could survive. Using soap on the cast iron would not change the germ count. The heat and time, however, would.
I can't remember who said it, but another member here once said "if it can withstand the heat of frying, it will laugh at soap!"
Old 01-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #26
Master Chef

My mother put hers in the dishwasher and it's still glossy smooth.

I use soap occasionally because sometimes you just have to. It's fine, I assure you.

You don't remove the seasoning that way, unless you do it all the time.

Rinse thoroughly and dry completely on the heat.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoffour View Post
This Lodge cast iron griddle was the magic to make these strip steaks. The steak prep was salt, pepper and evoo. Preheated oven and griddle to 450 F and then put on the steaks. ...
Man, those look fantastic!

I just bought that same 20" reversible griddle last week to add to my very small collection of Lodge CI. It's a very nice grill. Heavy too, which I like. I'll be cooking up some tacos on it tonight.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoffour View Post
This Lodge cast iron griddle was the magic to make these strip steaks. The steak prep was salt, pepper and evoo. Preheated oven and griddle to 450 F and then put on the steaks. Turned oven to broil. In 3 minutes rotated to get the sear lines after 6 min. flipped. At 10 minutes pulled out of the oven and set griddle on a cutting board to finish sizzling. Guess it was 3 minutes for the hissing to settle down. Done medium rare. Plated the steaks and put the very hot griddle in the sink. Cold water and it hissed... nylon dish brush to scrub clean then paper towel to lightly dry. Put in the hot oven well we ate the steaks. Best seaoned cast iron I have. Never any soap or steel wool.
i never use soap on my CI, sometimes a little salt if needed.
people have used sand to "wash" pots and such when water isn't available.

i have never used my CI grillin the oven/broiler but i think i will try it.

i used my CI grill pan on top of the stove to do these Porterhouses.

this is a shell also done on top of stove on CI grill pan.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #29
Head Chef

I use soap on mine, and a nylon scrubbie. When I am done cleaning, I put in back on the burner and rub some oil on with a paper towel. Leave it the heat til it is smoking hot.

No problems with sticking, seasoning is fine, they are black and shiny.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #30
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaulg View Post
Soap is not a cleaning agent. What soap does is reduce the surface tension which allows water (the real cleaning agent) to work much more efficiently.

A simple test to prove - rub dirty hands on a bar of dry soap without using water and see how clean your hands get.
Exactly. People forget that soap and water clean the dishes... if you want to disinfect you need to rinse them in a weak bleach solution.