"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Cookware

Old 01-26-2010, 07:33 PM   #31
Master Chef

Wow, all those steaks done on the CI grill look sooooo good. Heck, I probably gained a couple of pounds just looking at them.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #32
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Wow, all those steaks done on the CI grill look sooooo good. Heck, I probably gained a couple of pounds just looking at them.
thank you CG!!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:14 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Pretty funny.

You didd'nt mention if this was a regular guest or a one time pain in the neck.If you had cleaned and sterilized your cast pans even a few times in a fassion that would satisfy this knuckle head.The heaves would have occured sooner and I bet they wouldnt be dry.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #34
Head Chef

I have purchased alot of cast iron from garage sales for almost nothing- when that happens- i use soap-comet-soft scrub- steel wool - a wire wheel on a drill - due to they are usually pretty bad- but when im done they look brand new. I then heat up my grill outside and season the heck out it. once that is done ready to go. I cook in them and yes occasionally i have cooked something that isn't cleaning up well. I will use some soap mostly a brillo pad but when im done cleaning it I will put them on the burner to dry and then while warm will wipe it done with an paper towel with oil on it. all is good again. Like someone said once and while is good.

when cooking with cast you heat you pan up first so if there is germs they are burnt off at the start. Never had anyone get sick
Old 01-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Have to make and take some pics of a breakfast egg dish that I like to make in CI. Keep kicking myself as soon as anything is done we eat it and then I remember should have taken a picture. Anyone cook in soapstone?
Old 01-27-2010, 01:32 PM   #36
Senior Cook

[QUOTE=msmofet;873909]i never use soap on my CI, sometimes a little salt if needed.
people have used sand to "wash" pots and such when water isn't available.

i have never used my CI grillin the oven/broiler but i think i will try it.

i used my CI grill pan on top of the stove to do these Porterhouses.

Our stove is a glass top with a small burner front right and a large front left. If you figure side to side or a small one front righ and a large back right figuring front to back. Your poterhouse steaks look great! I am curious did you get uniform heat to the grill over two burners? Lack of even heat lead me to the oven method.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #37
Master Chef

[QUOTE=oneoffour;874115]
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
i never use soap on my CI, sometimes a little salt if needed.
people have used sand to "wash" pots and such when water isn't available.

i have never used my CI grillin the oven/broiler but i think i will try it.

i used my CI grill pan on top of the stove to do these Porterhouses.

Our stove is a glass top with a small burner front right and a large front left. If you figure side to side or a small one front righ and a large back right figuring front to back. Your poterhouse steaks look great! I am curious did you get uniform heat to the grill over two burners? Lack of even heat lead me to the oven method.
thank you!! well i also have the front burner is larger/higher fire than the smaller one in the back. it works out good because i like my steak less done then others in my family so they get the more done ones.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #38
Senior Cook

CI grilled pork chops

When it is to cold and rainy to be out with the BBQ this comes in a close second IMHO.

msmofet I think I'll try it stove top my wife likes them more done than I do. Dah of course I could just take mine out a few minutes sooner.

Dinner was a spinach salad with camelized pecans crumbled blue cheese, mung bean sprouts, porkchops, baked potato and basil sorbet for dessert
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pork chops 003.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	7841  
Old 01-28-2010, 03:21 AM   #39
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneoffour View Post
When it is to cold and rainy to be out with the BBQ this comes in a close second IMHO.

msmofet I think I'll try it stove top my wife likes them more done than I do. Dah of course I could just take mine out a few minutes sooner.

Dinner was a spinach salad with camelized pecans crumbled blue cheese, mung bean sprouts, porkchops, baked potato and basil sorbet for dessert
they look fantastic!! i am going to have to try it in the oven/under broiler.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:25 AM   #40
Head Chef

No offense to your dinner guest but she sounds like a nutjob. There's cleaning and sanitizing, and they're not the same thing. Cleaning= mechanically removing dirt & food residue. Santizing= killing off the vast majority of microbial life (not all, that would be sterilizing). Cleaning doesn't kill germs and sanitizing doesn't get stuff clean. Ideally you should have both. But any germ that can take the heat required to season a CI pan is gonna just laugh at a squirt of Dawn.