Cast iron and germs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldrustycars

Senior Cook
I had a guest for dinner. Chili was requested, I made it in my Lodge cast iron Dutch oven, as always. Corn bread prepared in my Lodge 12 inch cast iron skillet. While I was cleaning up, it was noted that I didn't use soap in my cookware, I never do. Scalding hot water and a stiff brush, as always. She broke into dry heaves. Has anyone ever heard of anyone getting sick from cast iron? I'm sure my moms cast iron hasn't seen soap in 70 years, and neither will mine.

Except for the very first day, mine hasn't seen any detergent either. Either I use hot tap water or occasionally a 1/4 cup of damp salt to act as a scrubbing agent. Nothing else. It may be that your guest was just having a psychosomatic reaction to your cleaning method when she realized you don't use detergent on your CI skillet.

You may not have to worry about her ever returning for dinner again.

Detergent, unless it is labeled as such, doesn't kill germs anyway. It loosens and lifts food residues.
I believe that the true mechanics of dish washing is actually to remove food residue and bacteria that might be present, ultimately creating an environment that is not conducive to bacteria and mold and other nasty growth.
Vigorous scrubbing and rinsing, regardless of the water temperature, is probably as effective as hot water and detergent.

Even "hot" water isn't hot enough to kill off the germs, unless you are using boiling water.

Have to admit that I often just use a good scrub and good rinse on lightly soiled items if I am quick cleaning.

And no, I don't use detergent on my cast iron anyway.

disclaimer: Im not a trained scientist, so my beliefs as stated above might not be accurate.

I think it is a sad commentary on our society that she thinks she got sick from our cookware! I don't know when I've seen so many germaphobes in the general population! Not all germs are bad! That said, I don't use soap on my CI either. Once in a great while I may put a bit on a sponge and wipe down the counters then use same on the pan when it's really greasy but for the most part just hot water and a good scrub.

Thinking back, I cannot think of ever cooking anything in Cast iron that I didn't cook at a higher temperature, and a longer time, than any germ could survive. Using soap on the cast iron would not change the germ count. The heat and time, however, would.

I think it is a sad commentary on our society that she thinks she got sick from our cookware! I don't know when I've seen so many germaphobes in the general population.

I agree completly. We have become so afraid of germs that I think sometimes we over-clean and over-disenfect.

I also think she was over reacting. I never use soap on my cast iron cookware or on my wok. HOT water and a stiff brush if it is needed and that is it. Neither myself nor anyone I have cooked for has ever gotten sick.

Thinking back, I cannot think of ever cooking anything in Cast iron that I didn't cook at a higher temperature, and a longer time, than any germ could survive. Using soap on the cast iron would not change the germ count. The heat and time, however, would.

I also put my pans back on the burner to heat dry it.

She wasn't actually sick, but it clearly grossed her out. I'd always understood germs like the same temperatures we do. Any heat that will cooking something in a skillet is pretty hot, so I never worried. Also, they say the constant use of those little hand sanitizers also kills the good germs, the ones that build up our immunities. I use antibacterial when handling raw pork or poultry, and after using the Porta-Crappers people in my line of work use.

She's definitely too prissy to be a guest at MY house. :LOL:

I had a guest once, back when I was doing a lot of canning, who wouldn't eat or let her children eat anything she thought I had canned. She was the wife of my ex's cousin, or she wouldn't have been there in the first place.
Cousin ate everything he could get his hands on, and went back for seconds.

Soap is not a cleaning agent. What soap does is reduce the surface tension which allows water (the real cleaning agent) to work much more efficiently.

A simple test to prove - rub dirty hands on a bar of dry soap without using water and see how clean your hands get.

All I can say is that I sympathize with you. It is my belief and opinion that germaphobes are germaphobes because they are usually ignorant of the actions of soaps and how they actually remove germs and bacteria from our skin. They also don't understand that there are a host of beneficial and useful micro-organizms in everyday life, and in products such as yogurt, cheese, microscopic leavening agents (yeast), etc. If your freind saw how sourdough starter was made, she probably would never eat sourdough bread again. Sausages that are dry cured rather than cooked, such as pepperoni, and other salamies, not to mention jerky's would make her crazy.

I tend to blame it mostly on the media. They bombard us with the idea that the world is full of hamful things trying to kill us. And yes, it is. But our bodies are amazing things, with a number of sophisticated ways to combat germ-related sickness. Sensible cleansing is important to good health. But the media, in their search for ways to scare us into purchasing their "super" germ-fighting, anti-bacterial cleaner or soap, is simply trying to convince us to spend more money on their particular product by whatever means is required. Their goal isn't public safety, it's private profit. My cast iron vessels rarely see soap. But theyt see temperatures that are high enough to kill any microbe that touches the metal, or foods cooked in them.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I teach food safety classes (ServSafe) and I can tell you - detergent will never touch my cast iron. I just use some steel wool and hot water.

I would call her (and the many others who have such paranoia ) a "germaphobic"

-can anyone suggest a better term?

I agree that the cooking heat is going to kill any germs.

Well I'll be sure NOT to invite her to my house! Rarely soap my CI. And it's a good thing she wasn't over Mom's house the night she served "Off-the-Floor-Chicken" to my then boyfriend and his family! His mom was in the kitchen at the time...and helped my Mom make sure the pieces were clean.:ROFLMAO:

Our house is clean enough to be healthy...and dirty enough to be happy!

HEre's a scary thought...
"Kills 99% of germs....."

What happens when all that's left is that 1% that DOESN'T get killed,
and we have no effective anti-bacterial products left?

THAT'S why I don't use anti-bacterial products.

It can be more difficult to remove unwanted grease/oil without using a surfactant.

Exactly.

It's perfectly fine to use soap on your seasoned cast iron. I do it all the time. Not every time I wash them, but sometimes you do need soap to get rid of the crud.

But it's not soap that kills germs.

I agree completly. We have become so afraid of germs that I think sometimes we over-clean and over-disenfect.

I also think she was over reacting. I never use soap on my cast iron cookware or on my wok. HOT water and a stiff brush if it is needed and that is it. Neither myself nor anyone I have cooked for has ever gotten sick.

I was taught to clean cast iron and carbon steel (wok, et al) with Kosher salt while the pan is still warm. No soap and no water.

The whole reason to season cast iron is develope a cooking surface with unbeatable qaulities. Harsh abrasives and strong cleaners would remove the seasoning that make CI so good to cook with. I have a lot of Lodge and I never use soap or steel wool to clean. The guest may have been ignorant, not a cook, a germaphobe or a hypocondriac or a combination or the four options.

Olvida cookware is cast iron but nickle coated so it is indistructable, nonreactive and doesn't need seasoning. I like it as you can use any tool you want in the pot unlike the enameled cast iron that one can scratch or chip.

Back
Top Bottom